Western Riding

pottamus

Visit site
Anyone know anywhere I can get lessons in Western Riding or does rides out in western style saddles...anywhere in the Midlands..or surrounding areas??? Thanks
smile.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Nottinghamshire: Lauren Jolly – Tel. 0115 9301272.
70 Cedar Farm, Church Lane, Cossall, Nottinghamshire, NG16 2RW.

Oxon: Catherine Wright** – Tel. 01608 730039.
2 Nil Farm Cottages, Hook Norton, Banbury, Oxon. OX15 5DG

http://www.wes-uk.com
May friend went to one in Shropshire who was very good as was the horse she got to learn on.

airedale

Visit site
The best I've ever seen in the UK is Bob Mayhew

google him - if he's not in your area he will only recommend someone good and reliable

Years ago he was up in the Midlands but not now I don't think

He's one of the few 'exports' in Western that the UK has done back to the USA where I think he now judges.

If anyone has any ideas that western is somehow cruel then watch Bob and see the best of Western. He's amazing and patient and the demo I saw explained everything very well - both young and also experienced horses of his.

smallgirl

Visit site
Hi

If you can travel to Cheshire then Scherie Dermody is in my opinion a very very good Western trainer. She also does English.

She is very patient, sympathetic and makes you work the horse into a very relaxed correct frame, all of our horses want to go down her lane of we hack past it!

And she has so many stories to tell it makes the lessons much more interesting.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Susie Bowie does it in leicestershire (It's in this month's horse magazine). I went there last month and it was fab, her horses are genuine criollo (sp?) horses and so well mannered. I am a nervous rider and thoroughly enjoyed cantering across the counrtyside on a strange horse with no contact on the bit! I would recommend Susie's place to anyone. her daughter, Rosie does lessons nearby.

Abs

Visit site
Sorry, only know of some fab western riding stables in the New Forest in Hampshire, perhaps go on a riding holiday in the summer?

Enfys

Visit site
Good luck,I hope you find somewhere, the people at WES were very helpful when I enquired. I wanted to do western when I was living in Wales but there was literally no-one in the area at all to go to, so I gave up.
Since being out here I've bought a western trained horse and am having lessons and it's SO confusing. Everything I had ever learned is being unlearned, great fun and hard work, I have to admit that I (arrogantly) thought that anyone could just get on and do it properly, I am having a rapid re-think about that
smile.gif
Tia told me I'd like these QH's, but I'm still getting an arab too!

pottamus

Visit site
Hmmmmm! Sounds like a nice idea but could be tricky convincing the OH to up sticks and move over there just because I fancy doing some Western riding!!!!
smirk.gif