Western tack...

JFTDWS

Visit site
Who do people use / buy western gear from in the UK? Particularly thinking about saddles - I have assorted tat from Kramer which is grand, but I don't know what their western saddles are like, or the practicalities of trying to buy one online...

I don't fancy spending the 2k+ to buy a new saddle of one of the American brands, and I do need to get it fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not sure what's considered a healthy second hand budget for western tack - I see plenty going very cheap but I don't know about the quality, or the logistics of getting one fitted.

Any genius advice, experiences or recommendations?

oh, it's for my little 15,2 QHx mare, who does a bit of everything but has recently been playing at barrel racing, western trail and I quite fancy doing some cattle work with her... I know they sell different styles for reining, for barrel racing and for trail riding, though at "dipping a toe" level, I'm not sure how important that is! Gratuitous pony photo - please excuse the gormless concentrating face :oops:41774604_880936412115406_6187212015535128576_n.jpg

blodwyn1

Visit site
If you are in Essex go to Sue Lord's second hand tack shop in Gosfield as she had some lovely western saddles there which were high quality.

JFTDWS

Visit site
If you are in Essex go to Sue Lord's second hand tack shop in Gosfield as she had some lovely western saddles there which were high quality.

I am in Essex (almost) and I can pop over there - I was under the impression there were only 2 or 3 of them in stock currently, and at least one definitely won't fit her (from discussion with its previous owner!). I am, of course, prepared to be corrected and told she has more though - in whcih case, I will definitely head over there!)

blodwyn1

Visit site
Ah ok I haven't been there recently, I got a lovely silver embossed show halter there. I have a black saddle that I used to use on my Welsh d which came from America originally that you could try if you like, some don't take to the double girthing system. It's so long since I used it I don't know if I would remember how to do the cinches up!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ah ok I haven't been there recently, I got a lovely silver embossed show halter there. I have a black saddle that I used to use on my Welsh d which came from America originally that you could try if you like, some don't take to the double girthing system. It's so long since I used it I don't know if I would remember how to do the cinches up!

Thanks - that's a very helpful offer and one that would be very useful, actually. I'll PM you - I presume you're based in the Essex area?

phizz4

Visit site
Head up to David Deptford's near Wisbeach, Soverign Quarter Horses, he has a western tack shop and will give good advice. Importing a saddle from the States is not difficult or expensive and most good outfitters will provide you with an on-line template to assess what shape/size saddle you need. Or try Janet at The Western Department, Shabbington.

Reactions: TPO

Follysmum

Visit site
Can recommend Alan at specialized saddles uk. All saddles are adjustable so if your horse changes shape not a problem.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Head up to David Deptford's near Wisbeach, Soverign Quarter Horses, he has a western tack shop and will give good advice. Importing a saddle from the States is not difficult or expensive and most good outfitters will provide you with an on-line template to assess what shape/size saddle you need. Or try Janet at The Western Department, Shabbington.

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Sovereign QHs - I was planning on going to their open day, but something came up. Didn't realise they had a tack shop too... I'll look up the Western Department too, thanks.

[Content removed]

Thanks for the long reply - that's really helpful. I follow the WTT page on facebook (I enjoyed the shopping video!) - it's good to hear she's well thought of though. I've not investigated far enough to see the useful discussion of how to avoid buying a cheap, low quality saddle, so I will have to do some reading!

What's it like up north of the border for western stuff / barrel racing? I'm idly thinking of moving next year and going back to Scotland has some appeals...

No QHs at barrel racing yet, but I'll keep an eye out - hadn't thought about going to western clinics either. Good suggestions!

Can recommend Alan at specialized saddles uk. All saddles are adjustable so if your horse changes shape not a problem.

Never heard of him - I'll look him up, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TPO

Visit site
There's quite a bit going on in Scotland.

The barrel racing association seems to tour and they have several clinics and competitions up here. Tilting also seems to be taking off.

There are two WES shows and one AQHA (open to all breeds) shows every year. There are quite a few visiting clinicians who hold clinics over weekends.

Lesley Deutch has recently moved to Scotland from America and is doing a lot of teaching plus holds clinics and competitions. Eitian (invented cowboy dressage) is also over here running a big Scottish event next June.

The same weekend Buck Brannanman is at Aintree doing a weekend of clinics.Not Scotland but a big deal imo.

There is also a facility in st. Andrews that hosts clinics and visiting horse(wo)men and give lessons.

Bob Mayhew visits Edinburgh a couple of times during summer. The same place (Blackford Glen) have also hosted Reuven Krauer a couple of times last year. They also had Hooves saddler for a saddle fitting day.

Through the power of fb There's been a few of "us" identified in a similar area so looking at getting trainers like Guy Robertson and Joe Midgely booked to come up for clinics.

There is also a lady Kirsty who holds cattle clinics as well as other western training and that's in the Scottish borders and very north of England (Newcastleton/Cumbria).

What area of Scotland are you looking at?

My friend in Surrey is moving to Scotland next year with her OH and their horses for a better quality of life (or affordable and to buy a house). It clearly the in thing for 2019😉

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I think dene country stores in bucks (or beds cant remember which line of the county it sits) still does weston saddles, they do all the bridles and human outfits.
Im.hoping to pop in there tomorrow so will have a look.

JFTDWS

Visit site
There's quite a bit going on in Scotland.

The barrel racing association seems to tour and they have several clinics and competitions up here. Tilting also seems to be taking off.
What area of Scotland are you looking at?

My friend in Surrey is moving to Scotland next year with her OH and their horses for a better quality of life (or affordable and to buy a house). It clearly the in thing for 2019😉

Thanks for another really comprehensive reply, TPO - is the Scottish western promotion board paying you? (They should be :p )

I'm really new to western generally - I've only been barrel racing twice and am looking at new games / challenges with ponies. I'm not sure how ready I am to throw myself into it all, but it's great to hear about all the options and stuff going on. I really fancy tilting too - I've wanted to ever since Rhino started posting about it on here years back! I'm generally keen to try anything once, too!

As for what area of Scotland I was looking at... er... Lincolnshire... But to be honest, I'm at least half considering anywhere I can afford land to have the horses at home. I've seen a few nice places north of the border lately, used to live near Glasgow when I was a child, but don't think that area would be my first choice to move back to. The trouble with having no ties is that I could go just about anywhere... And I'm not good at making choices o_O

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think dene country stores in bucks (or beds cant remember which line of the county it sits) still does weston saddles, they do all the bridles and human outfits.
Im.hoping to pop in there tomorrow so will have a look.

Oh cheers, let me know if they do! So much research on brands to be done!

(Oh I found WTT's photos of cheap trees and good ones stripped down on facebook - horrifying!)

TPO

Visit site
Not paid... in fact I've never competed. I've followed on the side lines for years while the baby QH grew up and I managed to get transport.

I'm busy planning 2019 which is why I know what's going on ha ha

Scotland definitely is cheaper for house buying (outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh). I also can't make a decision to save my life and have attempted to move to Surrey and Cambridge several times before admitting defeat and moving to Fife ha ha