Western vs English??

SnowPhony

Visit site
Anyone here do both? Which do you prefer?

I've recently ridden western a fair few times with a friend whose horses are western trained. I have never done it before and I have to say I loved it! Horses were superb, great fun and so responsive. I felt like a lemon to start with, but once I got used to it I loved it!

So thoughts people. Which do you prefer? And if anyone has horses trained in both, which do they prefer??

perfect11s

Visit site
Western
cool.gif
... nicer for the horses because of classical riding and training methods with feel and a partnership.. not pulling and kicking, nice people at the shows and as a man I like the fact I can dress like one to show my horses,and not look like a twit or some sort of throwback to a bygone age... however girls still look great in english gear
grin.gif

FeatherPower

Visit site
My lad was broken western and then reschooled English (all before I got him) He still neck-reins though and all his aids are totally messed up - hence me having him reschooled over the next few months.

Don't do both is my advice!

I too have ridden Western in Canada and it is a much more relaxed way of riding I think for both the rider and the horse - but English looks so much prettier and more controlled!

Theresa_F

Visit site
I happily swing both ways.

I think there is nothing more comfortable than a big western saddle on a clydesdale for hacking out. It is also the best saddle if you are leading another horse as you have the horn to grab if the led horse quickly stops - saved me a couple of times.

Not so good if you are jumping - I find anything more than 2' starts to get difficult.

My treeless is a good compromised between english and western - very comfortable and relaxed but you can do schooling and very small jumps in it.

Personally I like having both saddles so I can hack and relax western and then jump and school in the english.

We hope to start Farra on western riding next year - Cairo's big old saddle is waiting for her.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've done both, Western is lovely for a change (and that saddle horn does come in handy
tongue.gif
) but I felt really 'removed' from the horse.

Perfect11s - not pulling and kicking? I've been to barrel race/roping/poles events and there was plenty of both, and some loooovely long-shanked bits being hauled on!
Not slagging, just making an observation
smile.gif

TPO

Visit site
Both!

My QH is western and english trained and could easily switch between the two. The majority of WES member's horses do both too so there is nothing to stop a horse going "properly" both english and western if trained to the correct aids.

I like the buzz of reining and the lightness of riding a properly trained western horse. Try looking on www.thewesternshop.com for more western advice and for a western forum.

Western is the ultimate in lightness and control in my (limited) experience. The horses are so reponsive. Try looking on You Tube at some of the reining runs by Stacy Westfall. Some people seem to be of the opinion that you just slouch in a western saddle with loose reins and have a "yee hah" but there is MUCH more to it than that.

I don't think you can tar everyone with the same brush. There is plenty of abuse and unfair treatment in english riding sports as well as plenty of good riders who care about their horses; same goes for western.

The long shanked bits, when used correctly, aren't cruel. It enables the rider to have the lightest of feels on the horses mouth. Even an rubber snaffle is cruel in the wrong hands.

elizabethshaw

Visit site
Agree with TPO's post - good and bad in both disciplines. I ride mainly western although I will often pop my english saddle on because it gives a different feel and really gets me balancing more. Strangely I find the english saddle more comfortable in some ways - it is softer and more cushioned. The western saddle is a little harder on one's nether regions...!
I prefer the western way of going though, flat paces, level head and neck carriage, and the control you have with one hand, the lightness, and the manouvreability (sp!) you have on a western horse. Although it is possible to train an english horse in the same way, he won't have the same freedom within the confines the rider sets. Having said that I have never ridden a super duper dressage horse that was light and in self carriage, only fairly 'ordinary' english horses - and I would imagine that it would be pretty magic.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The long shanked bits, when used correctly, aren't cruel. It enables the rider to have the lightest of feels on the horses mouth. Even an rubber snaffle is cruel in the wrong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I realise that! But like you said yourself, there is good and bad in both disciplines and I did see a lot of hanging off the mouths of the horses, and lots of PC flapping kicks - the same as you do here
smile.gif

janet68

Visit site
I have always wanted to ride in western saddle and recently got one,1st and up to now only time i rode in it i found it very different and quite hard both in seat and to get horse doing anything i wanted him too so up to now jury is out. I really hope i can get used to it as it something i have always wanted to do (not ride western just ride in western saddle)

SnowPhony

Visit site
I was amazed at how much of a novice I felt first couple of times having ridden english for 20 years. The words 'errrm....how do I turn!?' may have uttered my lips half way through a marathon hack!

Didn't think I'd take to it quite as much as I did, but I can honestly say I cannot wait to do it again!