Westgate lab- why so pricey?

Melandmary

Visit site
I have used westgate labs for my worm count for years. Today i ordered from poopost. When i rang to order (as i usually do, technophobe that i am) i was asked if i had tried to order online as that would be preferred by them. Including postage for 3 horses was £33.95. More expensive than it was in autumn so i shopped around and it was £14.49 including a worming calender which i payed extra for so basically less than half price. How can westgate justify charging double? Wondered if you lot would know why. As it is, i won't be using them again!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think westgate have been quite innovative with the whole concept too and also have an in house vet iirc, that all needs investment.

that said... as i now have 7 to do and one that needed very frequent FECs last year, I have also used poopost as the cost saving is significant.

Melandmary

Visit site
Lol, no i don't. I have used westgate for the last 8 years and never had an issue with their service, always speedy and good advice. It was only because i was asked to order online that i ended up shopping around and found poo post at half the cost. When everything is going up in price i thought i would give them a try but i just wondered how the " same service" was twice the price is all. More accurate equipment.... Or just because....

paddy555

Visit site
I'm another who has just moved. Ordered my first poo post kits last week and they arrived the next day. People on here who used them seemed pretty pleased with them. I have 8 to test so the saving is well worth it.
From the online shop there were a lot of combinations you could order from a one year complete test kit to individual ones and equisal. I found the 4 test kit to be very cost effective but you do have to send them all back at once I believe.

HashRouge

Visit site
I have to say I'm quite tempted to try Poo Post after reading this thread! What I would imagine, and I may be wildly wrong so bear with me, is that Poo Post charge less to try and undercut Westgate Labs and lure away some of their customers. Westgate have led the market in worm counts for years, hence their prices being higher.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve used poo post a few times and been really happy. I’m not sure if there’s the same amount of advice on offer as I’ve never asked, but you could always google based on the result/phone your vet for advice. I’ve found the chat function on viovet very useful too when buying wormers.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm sticking with Westgate. I have had superb ongoing free advice over the years from them over tricky horses with repeat high counts. I trust them to do a professional job. I am very suspicious of a new company who pops up significantly undercutting a main competitor.

I trust Westgate not to cut corners.

Re the Westgate 4 count kit, which is the one I buy, you don't have to get all the 4 counts done at the same time. You can send them off one at a time if you want to.

Squeak

Visit site
I've used poopost and never Westgate and had brilliant service. When my horse needed worming they gave me helpful advice but I am unable to compare to Westage.

Melandmary

Visit site
I remember when i first started using westgate it was because they had the top of the range equipment for the job which is why i used them over other companies, at the time the cost was comparable between companies doing it. Over the years i have heard about poo post but had been happy with the service i was getting from westgate. It is just by chance i discovered the price difference and was just wondering the justification for essentially the same service. As others have said when you have multiple beasties the saving is significant

EmmaC78

Visit site
I switched too poopost last year after reading about them on here. I had used Westgate for a long time prior to that. I find the poopost service just as good as Westgate so will very sticking with them. Definitely a lot cheaper if you have a few horses to test.

Nasicus

Visit site
A few friends of mine use PooPost and have been very happy with the service and advice! Personally I get all my worm counts included on the good ol' Healthy Horse Programme through the vets, but I'd probably use Poopost if not.

onemoretime

Visit site
In my previous experience, Westgate offer advice and support service which other cheaper options don't.

For this reason, I'll stick with Westgate for now.

I agree with this. I have always found Westgate very helpful and have spoken to them on the phone as well as messaging them. Particularly when I bought a new horse in and sent off a test kit and it came back with a high worm count of 1,300. I spoke to the lady on the phone as I was very worried about the result and the fact that I needed to worm her straight away as I know they can colic with a large amount of worms and she was very kind and helpful. I shall be sticking with them.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Westgate are a fab company, always used them before mine passed away last year.
Paid £6 per month and got 4 redworm counts and 2 tapeworm as standard, plus any extras and ad hoc as needed.
Would not all that expensive.
They also have fab customer service and spend a lot of time providing advice at no extra cost too.
They'll be getting my money when my new pony arrives in a few months

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
to count 8 horses next week
westgate £68
poo post £36

difference £32. Lot of money over a year.
yeah it does add up when you have a lot to do! Like everyone on this thread I am committed to responsible worming so test quite a bit as some of mine get a higher burden than others, i did my youngster every 6 weeks throughout the year last year and some resistance check ones on top, so.... ker-ching!! o_O

Follysmum

Visit site
I moved to poo post last year as have 8 my friend comes in with me and we order the yard for 10 and it’s £40
Fantastic service can’t fault them
It’s not just a few pence saving so I can see why People would change over

MissTyc

Visit site
I still recommend Westgate (as YM to our liveries) as I remind everyone to buy their counting kits at the start of each year, but most liveries screenshot their results and forward to me and I see many different companies now, including poopost as mentioned here and quite a few others, too, so I think Westgate is no longer considered competitive by many. Their kits in the January sales are definitely still a good buy for me as I know I can trust the service.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There is a big price difference, but I fully trust in the results that Westgate will send back. They invest in their lab and their staff. I am reassured that the counts will be performed correctly.

How would you know if a much cheaper company was processing the samples correctly? You'd be getting counts back, but the numbers could have been plucked out of thin air.

Think of the faulty Covid PCR testing that went on.

paddy555

Visit site
There is a big price difference, but I fully trust in the results that Westgate will send back. They invest in their lab and their staff. I am reassured that the counts will be performed correctly.

How would you know if a much cheaper company was processing the samples correctly? You'd be getting counts back, but the numbers could have been plucked out of thin air.

Think of the faulty Covid PCR testing that went on.

that's a bit of an allegation against what is basically poo post. Do you have evidence? Could be poo post are plucking numbers out of thin air or alternatively with their market share and dominance Westgate are doing very nicely thank you and poo post are prepared to accept a lower profit.

I know exactly what results I am expecting back next week based on around 10 years of westgate tests. So we will see if the expected results come back.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
As I wanted quick results for doing sheep samples I purchased a microscope, McMaster slide and the vet gave me their work sheets that they have their staff follow. I did my first lot of samples under vet supervision.

I now can do my horses as well and I have used Westgate once or twice to confirm my results.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've used both! They're both reliable & great for advice when asked about various things. I used poo post for a long time but now have got into the habit of buying the annual kits in the January sale which are a bargain, then buy my equisals separately through them ontop.

Nicnac

Visit site
As I wanted quick results for doing sheep samples I purchased a microscope, McMaster slide and the vet gave me their work sheets that they have their staff follow. I did my first lot of samples under vet supervision.

I now can do my horses as well and I have used Westgate once or twice to confirm my results.

Fancy starting a HHO only service?! I'd use you :p