Wet horse & riding question?

clipclop

Visit site
This may seem a totally rediculous question but,,,,,,,
tongue.gif

Why is it wrong to saddle up a wet horse?

This is loosely being discussed on another forum and it got me thinking, so I thought I would ask you guys?

If there is no good reason, I might get a whole load more riding done this Winter
smile.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
The saddle will rub making neddie uncomfortable, and if it gets so bad that the hair rubs off and white hairs grow back it will look messy too
crazy.gif

Also chances are if neddie is wet it is raining and you'll get soaked - best off staying in! (See, logic in everything
grin.gif
)

foraday

Visit site
As an endurance rider we wash our horses at vet checks and then put a fresh polypad and saddle up and off we go!

It's ok to ride a wet horse but not a muddy horse-the muddy bits will rub!

There is nothing to stop you now! Get out there and do more riding!!!

clipclop

Visit site
It was you endurance guys that got me thinking!!!

Also we ride sweaty horses? Which is wet.

OK, enough said, wet horse is a go, go and wet, muddy horse is a no, no.
wink.gif

Frazer

Visit site
I have never ridden a wet horse, just because thats what i've been taught! And agree that a wet horse, rubbing etc.... but then endurance riders have to do this!
I would personally never ride a wet horse! But it depends on your horse aswell, and wether its mud and wet etc..

foraday

Visit site
Exactomondo!

We get through 5 or so pads during a 100 miler and if that's not tough then goodness knows what is!

Enjoy!

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The saddle will rub making neddie uncomfortable, and if it gets so bad that the hair rubs off and white hairs grow back it will look messy too
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that differ much from sweat?

[ QUOTE ]
Also chances are if neddie is wet it is raining and you'll get soaked - best off staying in! (See, logic in everything
grin.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I see your logic here

tongue.gif

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The way i see it is, well would you like to walk around in a wet pair of jeans!
No because it feels horrible and makes your legs sore.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, I am not asking him to wear his Levi's?
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

clipclop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have never ridden a wet horse, just because thats what i've been taught!

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And agree that a wet horse, rubbing etc.... but then endurance riders have to do this!
I would personally never ride a wet horse! But it depends on your horse aswell, and wether its mud and wet etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking now that if endurance riders do all those miles a wash down several times,,,what is a 30 minute hack around the block?
confused.gif

Hey, have you heard the saying "Never say never"
grin.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Can you confirm that no rubbing occurs?

Just double checking.

Do you think that "Riding a wet horse taboo" comes from wet, muddy horse or do you know of any other reason?
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont think it really matters. I dont make a habit of riding a wet horse (mine are all rugged so they tend not to be!) but if I have to then I use a sheepskin saddle cloth which has never rubbed so far!

Zebedee

Visit site
I used to work in a riding school, and they were frequently brought in wet & ridden. Dry numnahs & a bit of a towelling off is all you need.
Donkeys however cannot be ridden if their backs are wet - the minute you put any weight on them they fall over........

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am more worried about wet faces and the leather rubbing, 'cos you can have pads, absorbent cloths etc for the saddle. The soft skin on neds face and wet leather worries me. So I don't ride when horse wet.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Donkeys however cannot be ridden if their backs are wet - the minute you put any weight on them they fall over........

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! Sorry, I really shouldn't I know, but has struck me as sooooo funny. Good job I don't know any Donkeys, almost worth an experiment!!

DISCLAIMER: JOKE people!!!

clipclop

Visit site
If I read in next weeks paper about a "strange ritual being carried out on donkeys around the County",,,I'll know it has something to do with you!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
PMSL
Oh lets find a donkey and test that out! Surely that can't be true?
I have always ridden my horse wet with a polypad, its no different from sweat is it? Never had a problem

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our riding school ponies were often ridden from wet and I never had a sore or rubbed back!
Provided the numnah is thick and clean they dry off very quickly, just make sure there is no mud underneath.
It always amazes me where these funny rules come from, obviously the ones like don't ride after a feed etc work, but what is the difference between a rain wet under saddle and a sweaty one? None of course...
Years ago I had a terribly excitable gelding who lived out. I used to end the ride with him dripping or foamy no matter how I attempted to persuade him to walk, then get off, untack him and lead him around for ages until he dried off enough to turn him out.
One evening there was an old chap leaning on the gate, he said just turn him out and watch!
I did and the horse trotted off, rolled furiously and thoroughly, stood up, shook and started to graze, bone dry and calm.
Although we sponge ours off nowadays there was no water handy then other than the stream, so I learned a lesson about how horses are after all horses, and know exacty how to look after themselves without interferance from us.
You ride your horse, he''ll be fine.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
We're sometimes soaked in TREC (if it's raining
wink.gif
).
We ride our horses out in all weathers to keep them trim, but try and avoid saddling up if it's belting down & they're already soaked. I'm too old to go ponzing around in the cold soaking wet, but I don't mind the rain once you've got going.
As they're out 7/7 we don't clip our horses, so they can get quite sweaty in the winter if we start climbing hills (eg. yesterday we did a 500mtr climb), and it's never had any bad effects on their condition up to now.

So... get out there & ride !
smile.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies
grin.gif

I am glad that I ask my stupid questions. It normally means I get rid of stupid horsey "Old wives tales"!!
tongue.gif

Thanks, once again
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif