Video WET RUGS!!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
What do you do with your wet turnout rugs ? If it's only for one or at a push, two nights, I leave them on in the stable. I hate doing that, but I hate putting wet rugs on too, and I have no way of getting them dry. I figure horses living out 24/7 have their rugs on, so it's fine. Here's a silly video of my two DESPERATE to come in ?

Watch "It's raining! Pee'd Off Ponies , Shy and Pepsi (31)." on YouTube
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I find once I take a wet rug off to ride it seeps through as damp, and can’t go back on. I have a few turnout rugs so I can hang some up to dry. And can rotate. I hang up indoors over done chairs to dry. Or other yards I’ve had wall hangings (for tools) to hang wet rugs on. Or rug string lines etc.

doodle

Visit site
I just leave them on. They take days to dry, get damp inside and stink if left to dry off the horse. If the horse is dry under the rugs then they stay on and are dry in a couple of hours. This however took a while to accept and change my “they just be changed into a stable rug” attitude!

My old boss had a rug drier but that is not in everyone grasp!

Last edited:

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I find once I take a wet rug off to ride it seeps through as damp, and can’t go back on. I have a few turnout rugs so I can hang some up to dry. And can rotate. I hang up indoors over done chairs to dry. Or other yards I’ve had wall hangings (for tools) to hang wet rugs on. Or rug string lines etc.

I've tried everything to dry them out, even putting them over old straw, hanging them from the ceiling in our kitchen, you name it ! I wish I could afford a rug drier.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I just leave them on. They take days to dry, get damp inside and stink if left to dry off the horse. If the horse is dry under the rugs then they stay on and are dry in a couple of hours. This however took everything a while to accept and change my “they just be changed into a stable rug” attitude!

My old boss had a rug drier but that is not in everyone grasp!
EXACTLY THIS!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I've tried everything to dry them out, even putting them over old straw, hanging them from the ceiling in our kitchen, you name it ! I wish I could afford a rug drier.

I’ve found mine dry in 2-3 days typically. Are no fill rugs. You do need 3 rugs to rotate and I don’t dry every rug every day.

But my horse is out over night. I bring in before work, ride, and then I typically leave a lighter stable rug on day time. So leaving turnout rug on daytime seems to typically be too warm for daytime stabling.

I leave the current dry night rug on a rail in the stable set up with the right weight of liner for that night’s temperature. Yard staff change my horse into night turnout rug I’ve left ready and turn him out at 4pm.

scats

Visit site
Little tip- hang them (I hang over a spare stable door), inside up so the wet side is down. Sounds counterproductive but it works. Yes the outer part will still be damp in the morning but the inside that is on the horse will be bone dry and then the horses body heat will help further dry the outer part of the rug, unless it’s still raining of course.
If you hang them wet side up, overnight they make the inside wet, sticky and damp and then you’ll be putting a wet, damp inner rug on the horse.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Little tip- hang them (I hang over a spare stable door), inside up so the wet side is down. Sounds counterproductive but it works. Yes the outer part will still be damp in the morning but the inside that is on the horse will be bone dry and then the horses body heat will help further dry the outer part of the rug, unless it’s still raining of course.
If you hang them wet side up, overnight they make the inside wet, sticky and damp and then you’ll be putting a wet, damp inner rug on the horse.
Thankyou !

meleeka

Visit site
I hang mine from a couple of screws placed right at the top of the stable. Ponies are out most of the time so it works well. They all have more than one rug. If I didn’t have spares I’d just leave them on.

bluehorse

Visit site
I leave them to dry on the horse, I don’t use stable rugs at all any more. If the wet has soaked through and the horse is cold I put a thick fleece underneath then put the wet rug back on. Works a treat. Toasty horse within minutes and a dry rug the next morning. The only time I would put a horse in a stable rug now is if they’re going to stay in horsepital, I think it’s a bit rude to the nurses to send a horse in with a dirty turnout rug.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I have at least 2 turnouts in each weight & also can make up weights with lighter rugs if necessary so have always got dry to put on - hang up wherever is available under cover ? very wet rugs can definitely take 3 days to dry ? second the idea of leaving underside up if you are stuck

mini_b

Visit site
I leave them on overnight and they dry unless they are wet right through which doesn’t usually happen.

Don’t wish anthropomorphise it but they are colder if stood in over night and I imagine its like us putting damp clothes on to go back into the cold.

They look thoroughly devastated bless them ?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have at least 2 turnouts in each weight & also can make up weights with lighter rugs if necessary so have always got dry to put on - hang up wherever is available under cover ? very wet rugs can definitely take 3 days to dry ? second the idea of leaving underside up if you are stuck

Agree with this. I have at least two of each weight, or if really stuck, I use a liner on a lighter weight rug, so never need to ever put a damp rug on a horse.
The weight of a sodden rug must cause pressure points if left on continually which is why I like using stable rugs.

bluehorse

Visit site
Agree with this. I have at least two of each weight, or if really stuck, I use a liner on a lighter weight rug, so never need to ever put a damp rug on a horse.
The weight of a sodden rug must cause pressure points if left on continually which is why I like using stable rugs.
No it doesn’t ? and allowing a rug to dry on a horse doesn’t mean they are being left on continuously. It would have to be soaking wet for days and left unchecked to cause that kind of problem. A wet rug dries within hours if left on a stabled horse. I would change a wet rug on a horse that lives out 24/7 if it was soaked through and the horse was cold and I do agree that leaving horse out full time in wet rugs could cause rubs. But not when they’re coming in to dry out.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I hang under cover from 4pm to 8pm, so the actual drips come off, then they come in the house, over the dining chairs!

Because they are never on in the stable, they don't smell particularly. If a liner is horse-grease smell, it can go in the wash, 30 quick wash. If they come in muddy, I hose off whilst still on the horse then follow the above.

Mine are Rambo and Rhino, always dry by 5am, and the heating isn't on overnight (although the house has residual warmth).

Premier Equine rugs, or any that are not truly waterproof, take ages to dry. I did try cheaper rugs than Rambo, but they only stayed waterproof for a season. I have not find re-proofing rugs to make them truly waterproof. Any rugs that are not truly waterproof are moved on pronto, before I can be tempted to use them, latest was a Premier Equine one that came with Rigsby that was too heavy. People pay money for non waterproof outdoor rugs, mainly for stable use I guess? But I prefer stable rugs for indoors.

I NEVER wash outdoor rugs, other than a hose off and washing the separate liners. It takes away the waterproofness.

Before anyone thinks my approach is £££££££££, my Rambos seem to last years and years, and I think end up cheaper than cheaper ones that need replacing. I had an original green one for about 18 years, still waterproof but I downsized horse and it was too big :rolleyes:

scats

Visit site
Thankyou !

You’re very welcome. I’ve got my whole yard doing it now too haha.
I used to hate putting sticky, tacky damp rugs on horses. The outer part used to have have dried fairly well, but the inside was always horribly clammy. It occurred to me that keeping the inner part needed to be the priority, even if they outside was a bit wet still.
Not had to rely on my back up rugs since discovering this trick!

Kaylum

Visit site
I NEVER wash outdoor rugs, other than a hose off and washing the separate liners. It takes away the waterproofness.

Before anyone thinks my approach is £££££££££, my Rambos seem to last years and years, and I think end up cheaper than cheaper ones that need replacing. I had an original green one for about 18 years, still waterproof but I downsized horse and it was too big :rolleyes:

Agree Rambos and liners worth every penny. And about the washing they are never the same. Just a hose down.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Have hung my turnout inside out this evening! Thanks for the tip. I don't leave turnouts on in the stable as if you have a disgusting horse the turnouts get disgusting and then you have to wash ... at which point many seem to lose waterproofing. So I like to change to stable rug which is easier to wash or doesn't need to stay waterproof.