Wet weather riding gear...

Nudibranch

Visit site
Have decided this year I'm going to ride through the winter in all but the most extreme weather. Mini NB has started reception so I'll have 2 mornings each week (plus a day or two at the weekend) and I don't want to lose them.

I've splashed out on a long Eurostar jacket but can anyone recommend waterproof riding tights? Good waterproof but thin and grippy gloves? Anything to help protect my saddle?

I do feel a bit guilty for the beast - she was trotting head down into the torrential rain this morning but needs must I suppose. She will have a rain sheet!

gemisastar

Visit site
I'm fairly sure decathlon do waterproof breeches that have been recommended by many on here, I haven't tried them myself though as I ride in a long musto Suffolk coat in the wet and also have waterproof trousers! You can get waterproof saddle covers also? And sealskinz gloves are meant to be very good!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I have the Decathlon ones (Kipwarms) as saw a post/thread about them on here. It's not really rained properly at the same time as me riding yet so can't vouch for the full waterproofness but they are comfy and not too expensive!

Lintel

Visit site
Another Decathlon vote here, haven't had cold legs since buying them!
Would also reccommend mark Todd thinsulate riding gloves or sealskinz dependent on your price range ?

Winters100

Visit site
I think the kit will depend on the pace of the exercise. I quite enjoy winter riding, but only if we are fast paced enough to keep warm. I don't so much worry about waterproof as that stuff anyway gets too hot when you are moving - but layers help a lot. If you will be keeping to a slow pace then I would advise to kit up to the max you can - and especially some warm and long boots. I use something like this for the saddle if we are going out in heavy rain

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shires-Rid...rds=shires+saddle+cover&qid=1599245491&sr=8-3

Also for simple exercising I bought incredibly cheap simple bridles.

I think you will enjoy it a lot, and in the Spring it is great when everyone is rushing madly to get horses fit and yours are already there:) Have fun!

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Haven’t thought of me for this year so will follow with interest! For the saddle and horse my mum’s just got me a Rambo mack in a sack, it’s an exercise sheet that covers everything but legs and head. It’s marketed as a competition item but I’ll use it for hacking out in the rain as well - horsey strongly dislikes getting wet. Haven’t used it yet but it fits nicely and looks smart, plus not too rustly.

ecb89

Visit site
I moved from a yard with an indoor school to a yard without last autumn and I must admit I really didn’t ride enough due to the wet weather.
Going to buy some decent waterproof gear so I have no excuse this winter.
I keep seeing those decathlon jods recommend!