What 4x4 should I get??

MagicMelon

Visit site
So as my Freelander has done just over 90,000 miles I'm considering replacing it (hate having cars that have over £100k as I always think they start breaking and costing a fotune!). To be used for usual family life (dog in boot, young child in back etc.) along with towing my Bateson Ascot usually with one 15.3hh in it but occassionally with a Dartmoor in there too. The Freelander has towed well, it did feel a bit gutless when I towed my 17.1hh WB the other day but thankfully that very very rarely has to happen! But it would be nice to have something a little more gutsy. Must have big enough boot for the dog and roomy enough for us. Will be buying second hand so no point looking at brand new versions of anything. Practical is more important than how it looks ;) We can claim back VAT on a pick-up through our business but I just dont see how something like a Hilux is that practical (back seats arent that roomy and dog would have to go in cab bit...). Also can't be stupidly expensive - no I dont want an Evogue or a Cayenne for example ;) Must be something sturdy and reliable! Suggestions please?

HeresHoping

Visit site
Mitsubishi L200 - post 2009 - double cab - plent of room
Nissan Navara
Ford Rangers are just too damned big -as are the VW versions

Defender 110 (County) - with 7 seat configuration if likely to have to cart parents/in-laws at any stage. They get older, and as they do their desire to visit increases and their desire to 'do' things that involve them driving decreases proportionally. I am looking at getting one when the house sells (it will take the rest of my equity). I really wanted a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian (choice of truck up here) but realise that, as much as I want to, I can't stick MIL in the boot with the dogs. It wouldn't be fare on the dogs. So Defender it will be. And contrary to some opinions, it's a little less thirsty than the Disco.

dixie

Visit site
I have an automatic SsangYong Rexton and am very pleased with it - tows up to 3 tonnes.
Tows very easily, roomy and more economical than my old Jeep, cheaper tax too.
Before that I had Jeep Grand Cherokee which I loved and then the smaller Jeep Cherokee - both lovely vehicles but a bit pricier to run.

Asha

Visit site
Our Nissan navara has been fab. Can do so much with it, chuck hay or shavings in back. Or put a roof on and put dog in back. Always towed 2 decent sized horses without issues.

If I was forced to change I'd go for a defender

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Navarra's tow well, but SIL's was longer than the lorry once she was towing the trailer :D
SWB Shogun's tow well but boot space isn't the best and often 3 door so PITA with smalls...

Annagain

Visit site
What about a newer Freelander as you seem to like yours. I think the newest ones are about 2 years old now. I'm assuming the new Discovery Sport (more or less the Freelander's replacement) will be out of your price range as it's only about 18 months old and I don't think you find many 2nd hand ones yet.

The only other point I'd make is 100k is not incredibly high mileage these days. Engines do seem to last longer now if they've been well maintained. Is it worth hanging on until you're forced into changing it?

Or as HH said a Defender 110. If you get the commercial (Five seats but the boot area has no windows. It's all part of the car though so dog would be fine there) you can claim the VAT back on it. You won't get a better tow car, although it's not the most comfy for long journeys.

JillA

Visit site
I like my Rexton too, and it does have plenty of boot space. TBH they are so well priced I bought a demonstrator top of the range for what I would have had to pay for a two or three year old Discovery/Landcruiser or Shogun - I think SsangYong are trying to make inroads into the UK market

Enfys

Visit site
We are on our second Nissan Titan (5L V8). It does everything, and is very comfortable.

Definite Nissan fans in this household.
I think the Navarra is the next size down from the Titan, the only thing I would want to be sure is the passenger space, sometimes it is very tight in the back :(

pippixox

Visit site
although it currently has engine issues (03 plate with very little service history that we got for cheap though!) i have a jeep grand cherokee and like it for towing. it is a lot shorter than lots of 4x4s which is easier for everyday life and then not so long with a trailer. powerful enough to cope with towing with ease. not the cheapest to run but better than some. boot not huge but my german shepherd and occasionally a few smaller dogs as well do fit in the back comfortably.

EventingMum

Visit site
I would disagree about the Hilux back seats, we bought one because the back seats are far more spacious than any other pick up we looked at. I'm 5'8" with long legs and travel comfortably in the back, taller people hadn't objected either and the back is definitely more comfortable than my son's Ranger.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I have had the same quandary and I am in the process of buying another Freelander - There are still a few on the market with very low mileage under 10K. I was shown a white one and another with cream carpets not very good for a horse person !

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I have an old Toyota Land Cruiser - its brilliant towing, comfy for motorway driving, has extra seats in the boot in need so can carry 7/8 people, loads of room in the boot for dogs, has been SO reliable ..... love it to bits.