what a day !!! and introducing shetland to new fieldmate (long )

spooks

Visit site
moved my shetland yesterday to new yard with the intention of part loaning her to a teenager who was going to buy one as a companion for her welsh who just loves everybody and needs 4 horses for company never mind one! ( i was moving her anyway, not just so she could be jimmys companion ) anyway YO suggests we turn tink out with jim today so off we trundle up to his field, let her loose...he takes one look at her, gallops off and promptly jumps the fence..absolutely TERRIFIED of her!! unfortunately he chose to jump a fence that has barbed wire running along the top of it and has sliced his knee open. its the only piece of fence with wire along it apparently. when we caught him it looked like he had just taken the skin off and there was only a small line of blood coming from it,not that we could inspect it properly as he was still dancing round like a lunatic so he was put back out and shetland dragged back in!
got a call from his owner at 5 this eve, could they borrow my lorry as he had to go to the vets.YO had got him in and realised how bad the cut actually was,vet came and treated it initially and told them to bring him in as when he walked there was little bubbles of clear fluid coming from and he thinks hes punctured the fluid sac.. easier said than done.. this is a horse that point blank refuses to load, kid had told the vet this but he reckoned he couldnt treat it properly on the yard. spent a little while trying to load the horse before i called my mate to come and help. then the fun really started, she got him to the ramp and he just exploded shot off the side taking the gate with him and muggins here forgot to let go of the lunge line i was holding so now have a few nice burn across my hand and fingers! said horse was off for a hooly across country with 3 teens in hot persuit ( me and mandy dont do running,far to old lol ) managed to catch horse and vet then came back to sedate him so we could load him.he is now safely at the vets for a 7 to 10 day stay so hopefully he will come out the other side ok. so the big question is , how do we get jimmy introduced to the shetland when he is clearly terrified ? or do we just not bother ? YO says to turn her out in a neighbouring field with his girlfriend, or introduce them over the stable door etc.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Most horses when they first saw my Inky were terrified of him but the horses on the yard have now got used to him. We introduced his field mate to him over the stable door and they have adjoining stables where they can see each other. They spent the first day and night in next to each other and then the next day just turned them out. His field mate chased him around for a few mins and then they settled down. Here is a video of their first encounter!!!

First encounter!!!

Happytohack

Visit site
Firstly - get rid of all the barbed wire! Surely your YO knows that barbed wired and horses just do not mix.
Secondly introduce them by stabling them in next door stables and turning out in adjoining paddocks, preferably electric fenced.
If you "chuck horses in together and leave them to sort themselves out" you are usually asking for trouble.

Happytohack

Visit site
Great video of Inky - you can see how he is mouthing at the other horse! A sign of submission - but Inky might be pretending - he is just so cute

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Yeh he was just pretending. You can tell he's growing up he bullies his friend now!!! Forever hanging off his knees and hocks!!!
grin.gif

spooks

Visit site
the girl whose horse was injured went and checked the fence he jumped today and there is no barbed wire as we first thought! it is a wire fence though . i have always put new horses straight in with other horses unless prior knowledge of a 'nasty one'. touch wood so far have never had a problem. the horse that was hurt is everybodies friend and loves all horses , he also stands 15 hands ! none us could have known he was terrified of shetlands, we do have adjoining stables where he could see her but given his reaction on there first encounter i think he might still go balistic, oh well will wait until he is fit and well and see how we go

Chumsmum

Visit site
Yes - what a day! Hope Jimmy is okay. Hopefully he will gradually get used to the little one - it's amazing how many are scared of them at first. The first time one of the horses saw one of my mini shetlands (Norman) he went ballastic, hurt his leg and trod on the grooms foot! However, he soon got used to them by seeing them over the hedge every day and eventually loved being turned out with them. I would suggest introducing them in adjoining stables / paddocks first with lots of treats to take his mind off the mini monster.
Good luck
smile.gif