What a Day

EAST KENT

Visit site
On Saturday my Lucille ,who is a rather oversize mini bull terrier ,killed and ate a whole rat. The OH did`nt stop her at the time,and said rat was obviously a bit groggy from rat poison.After all ,a dog on a lead is hardly likely to kill a fast fit rat..is it?

Anyway,today Lucille is not well,shivery and a bit hunched..so it`s leave hot rubber on the road and get to my wonderful vets ..fast!

Also taking along the tub of "Tomcat" rat bait blocks so that the poison,and it`s antidote could be researched.

Well Lucille was scanned..just to rule out a pyometra,and then had TEN ampoules of vitamen K,a leptospirosis booster,and vit K pills to take for a further 10 days.Plus a painkiller injection ,as her stomach hurt..not surprisingly!

One of the signs of rat poisoning was her redder than normal gums and skin ,apparently it was because she had started to bleed in her capilliaries.Well it looks like she will be OK,but is very much "under observation" for the next few days in case of relapse.

Narrow squeak for her though,and a bit of a panic for me as well.:eek:

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Phew, glad to hear she is OK, bet you're glad you spotted something amiss - although I feel more sorry for the state your wallet is going to be in!
Hope she is back to a full recovery soon.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Have you half killed the OH? Although frankly, even a half doped rat could bite a finger off and after a mate got Weils disease, I don't want to ever have to touch one. We have tons of poison down at the yard and it seems to have been effective for a change. I'd do my best to get it off the dogs if they grabbed one. Poor girl, hope she feels better soon.

Last edited:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Lucille tonight is indoors "under observation" as she`s swearing at some of the others I imagine she`s fine!My vets are in Herne Bay and Deal ,on the north kent coast .I completely trust them,and they never rob me.They also know they`ll get a wad of cash as and when my puppies sell..so no worries about paying before my dog comes home.Mind you ,not everybody gets that service..it`s mutual trust.

Many years ago now I worked with Carol ,the part owner and practice manager at another vets in Whitstable,so we have loads of black humour jokes about times gone by.

One of the partners wanted to give a girlfriend one of my Mangalitza ginger curly coated piglets....so we swopped for a caeserean on one of my bullies!!:D:D:D:D

EAST KENT

Visit site
Have you half killed the OH? Although frankly, even a half doped rat could bite a finger off and after a mate got Weils disease, I don't want to ever have to touch one. We have tons of poison down at the yard and it seems to have been effective for a change. I'd do my best to get it off the dogs if they grabbed one. Poor girl, hope she feels better soon.

OH still alive..just!Stupid thing is that IF he`d had enough brain to tell me at the time.or within an hour,said rat could have been vomited up by giving the dog a piece of old fashioned washing soda. It induces vomit in about 30 seconds.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Good job you were so vigilant, glad she is on the mend. Love the idea of swapping a piglet for a caesarian.:D Your vets sound great, have to say I am quite relieved as just received the bill for my old girl who we lost last month, pyo, spaying and all the after care etc. Never a nice bill to receive but it was a lot lower than I expected, they have definitely been kind to me, apart from anything else 2 weekend out of hours vists, only charge is for the drugs, makes it a little easier.

mollichop

Visit site
Hope she's feeling better soon - poor girl. Lucky you and your vets acted so quickly.

My neightbours Rotti pup got hold of some Warfarin aged 15 weeks and it was very much touch and go :(

Thanks to a full body blood transfusion from a sadly deceased greyhound, she made a full recovery and is now fighting fit. We joke that she'll be the quickest Rottweiler ever!