What a difference a year makes!!

Queenbee

Visit site
And not just for the beast but for us all!!

So hello guys, would you believe it - it has now been over a year since The Beast and I moved up to Cumbria, for me it was coming home, but for Ben... what a journey when the furthest he had ever been was under 50 miles away to Royal Cornwall show!

It was an incredibly emotional experience for me, moving up to cumbria, the place I was born and the place my father loved so very much. I never had any regrets but emotionally it was huge... moving from once corner of the country to another, leaving behind everything I knew... packing up everything and making Ben travel hundreds of miles over two days... but it was 1000 times worth it and more.

I have found all the peace in the world here, a closeness to my father and although I have never felt unsettled anywhere I have lived I found a feeling of 'home coming' and deep down I know I will never leave cumbria.

It hasn't totally been plane sailing, but then 2020 hasn't really been that for anyone has it... some of it has been 2020 related and some just sods law.

We moved Ben to a lovely yard... or what would have been except for one witch, the farmer and his wife are lovely as are the liveries but, the 'yard manager' not so much, full of BS and wind she waxed lyrical about all horses getting winter turnout, only to insist on them all being stabled when it started to rain... So in January, we moved to a yard about a mile and a half away, a much smaller and quieter affair with really great owners who have become firm friends, there were only 3 acres for 6 horses but only 2 that didn't require restricting for health reasons, Ben and Ben became such friends and most days they got out into the fields over the winter, even if only for a couple of hrs. We spent a blissfull summer there, but then 4 more mares came to the yard, Big Ben had a random accident and had to be sectioned off from others to reduce movement after box rest, the mares were a bit skittish and spent most of the time galloping around... Beastie boy got very unsettled with it all and became tense and stressed and hated not being in with his friend. Sadly I could see the onset of winter coming, and with less than 3 acres and 10 horses I decided to make the move to a new yard.

Honestly, after 7 years at the same yard in Cornwall I began to feel like a yard hopper... but this last move was 100% worth it, he relaxed back down within 48 hrs of his move, he is out in a huge field with sheep and 4 other 'normal, sane geldings.' Since he moved in about 4 weeks ago he has 1 night in the stable in god awful rain... the rest of the time he is out in the field with his buddies, not too clingy with any of them but gets on with all of them... we have a HUGE sandschool with jumps, we have started jumping again!!! For the first time since we moved up here!!! So, it would seem that on the horse related front that final piece of the puzzle has slotted into place. The yard owners are awesome people, farmers but also horsey people through and through, they used to breed arabs and have always kept their horses out as much as possible, only bringing them in at night at the latest possible moment in winter. This is a huge weight off my mind going into winter.

Work wise, it has been a bit up and down, I did some temp work when I first moved up and was searching for a permanent role, I then got offered a 6 month contract with the promise of it extending into 4 years if funding was granted, very quickly though it became aparent that this 'new role' had not been thought out, there was nothing for me to do, the wage was great but I was literally sat there doing nothing, begging for work and not being given it. At my 3 month review both parties agreed that the work wasn't there and I got given a months pay and was back looking for work again. So I walked straight into a temp job for a month, and after 2 weeks we went into lockdown! I was very lucky in that I managed to get some website work during all these shenanigans and despite doing that I continued to apply for whatever suitable jobs I could, I finally got a good one!! Started about 5 weeks ago and am loving it, am also loving the wage again! The people I am working with are so much fun, I am never twiddling my thumbs in this job and really feel like I am making a difference.

Finally I have a new man in my life, Mr Blu!!! A beautiful rescue lurcher, Boarder Collie x Greyhound, he is 7 and has lived in kennels all his life until I got him about 8 weeks ago. He was never a working dog, just belonged to the son of a chap who had working dogs, so poor Mr Blu spent almost all of his time inside... he is just incredible, a proper charmer, so responsive... walks to heel, comes to call, never chases any animal. He has been such a tonic for me and my mum and is the perfect addition to the family.

Anyways, here are a few pictures I thought I would share with you all... with love from Cumbria!120545688_630884087599879_4341763585097697612_o.jpg120515155_630884070933214_3963116130411755225_o.jpg96288549_3293312600679092_4508001423388049408_n.jpg109837447_3486407864702897_1674097624558845296_o.jpg117120957_3538922546118095_8159421550030462731_n.jpg120389373_3704522362891445_1709995413712482099_o.jpg121260107_3749053731771641_8477887579331390673_o.jpg

tatty_v

Visit site
What a lovely update, it’s so good to hear things are going well. We only get to visit Cumbria as tourists to the Lake District, but we come every year as it’s good for the soul ?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Such a great update. I get the impression that you're a positive kind of person who finds solutions when life throws the occasional lemon. I'm quite envious of your life in the very beautiful Cumbria. Such a great place to be.
The picture of Mr Blu lying on the bed after living in kennels all his life, made my heart melt.

Queenbee

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely comments, I shall tell Mr Blu how much you all like him... when he finally forgives me for pulling overtime and only just getting home!! He has currently disowned me and is downstairs with mum ;)

Loved reading this. This is a move we keep on considering (or Wales). How do you find all that rainy weather?
MW - I really don't find it a problem, I have been pleasantly surprised actually, we live on the west coast about 2 miles from the sea. In Cornwall Helston the average yearly rainfall is 1000 mm but in whitehaven it is actually less at 971 mm although in other parts of cumbria it is considerably more. We have been watching and comparing temperatures and strangely both areas are very similar. Snow is a rareity in both places... in the sense that if it does snow it is good almost as soon as it arrives due to both places being so close to the coast. The beauty of where we are now is that if we do want some snow... we need only drive a few miles to find it!! I woke up many mornings last winter to the sights of white topped distant mountains which was lovely! The ground where we are definately holds the water more than where we were, but is manageable.

I have lived in Wales too, it is a beautiful place but depending on where you are considering the 'welcome' from the locals can vary considerably we lived there for 7 years (mid wales - a town called Macynlleth) and became very much part of the community and are always met with a warm welcome when we return, however becoming part of that community was not plain sailing and my mother recieved a very cold welcome as she was appointed manager of an NHS care home in the early 80's and was seen to be taking a job that should have gone to someone from the community and not an 'outsider', her staff and colleagues protected her from the gossip and news reports etc... but it was really quite cruel, however, once the community got to know my mum, the standard of care that she gave their loved ones... she became a much loved member of the community... still it is qute funny, I returned years after leaving and people didn't immediately recognise me... I walked into a pub and everyone stopped talking in english and switched to welsh... some 'not very nice things' were said until they realised who I was... *cough* and that I could understand them! Then the atmosphere immediately melted. Not everywhere in Wales is like that, but you do get 'pockets' of incredible communities but they are essentially 'closed gate' to begin with, but when they know you... they are amazing to be a part of.

By comparison, I have found the people up north to be so amazingly open and warm and welcoming, I have never felt so immediately at ease. There is far more tourism than you would find in the rural areas of wales though and in some areas the house prices make the eyes water! The roads in 'the lakes' are rammed in the summer, A combination of these factors is why we moved to the west coast... there are some excellent work opportunities in the area... even now! The tourism here is pretty much non-existant by comparison with the greatest pull being the C2C bike ride... the road infrastructure is decent because of Sellafield. The house prices are very reasonable and moving from Cornwall to here enabled us to become mortgage free. The countryside is varied with sea, lakes mountains and forestry all within your grasp... Given the choice - and we did have a choice, we also considered wales and scotland, this was ours and I have no regrets... when I look back it was the right one.

Is there rain? Yeah, but there has also been glorious sunshine this summer, I am sure that if I was further inland I may have a different opinion on the rain, but here - it is not so different from what I was used to in Cornwall. :)

Such a great update. I get the impression that you're a positive kind of person who finds solutions when life throws the occasional lemon. I'm quite envious of your life in the very beautiful Cumbria. Such a great place to be.
The picture of Mr Blu lying on the bed after living in kennels all his life, made my heart melt.

Aww thank you, I do try to have that perspective, I didn't always but life is to short and to the best of our knowledge you only get one... who knows - we may get another shot at life after this life, but if you live like this is your one and only - you have to make the most of it!

Mr Blu melts my heart every single time I see him... I will have to record him when I get home from work one day and share it... he just makes my heart burst with love and happiness. I am just so fortunate that we found each other.

Glad things are going well.Did you manage to find a yard close to home?
Thank you reacher! I did, It is a few miles away but actually on the way to work, in between St Bees and Whitehaven so quite perfect. Do you know Byrestead Farm?

Reacher

Visit site
I don’t actually - i used to rent a flat in Sandwith when I first moved over here and there was a small livery I recall up the road - that was many years ago and before I got the horses over here. Probably not the same one. Sounds great anyway and handy for doing on the way to work. If it’s around there then handy for the local PC comps! (well if they are still running in current covid climate ...)
Glad you are settled in :).

GoldenWillow

Visit site
What a lovely update, I'm so glad you are loving Cumbria, there is something very special about being able to look at the sea and The Lakes at the same time. I am very envious that you don't seem to be getting the rain it will probably be the thing that makes me move. I honestly didn't realise there was that much difference in rainfall given we're also on the coast.