What a disgrace

minesadouble

Visit site
I wasn't there bit have heard people saying that in the main the heavyweight class was made up of overweight middleweights rather than true heavyweights. I was also surprised not to see Loughkeen Dancing Lord's name missing
from the line up.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Have any of the people involved actually commented at all, I cannot believe this is the only place it is being discussed.

Ps AA I don't think we have been properly introduced to your new boy have we? :p

He is not mine, I found him though and I am chief slave. (Chestnut horse)

There were a number of horses that lacked bone in the heavyweight class. A true heavy is very difficult to find nowadays. Dancing Lord did not sparkle at all on the day and in my opinion, which is worthless, he has done enough. He has been on the circuit since 2008. Showing should be a young horse's shop window before they move on to do other things. The RDS has age limit on the hunter classes.

The second picture will be a horse to watch in the future. A half brother to Adorable Alice and a magnificent type, not mature yet. I would have pinched him if he would fit in my pocket !

DSCF0658_zps97822101.jpg

DSCF0670_zps1fd9bc70.jpg

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
A charitable view would be that Mr M Tory and Mr C Hunnable are merely incompetent. The alternative is that they were in some way in cahoots with the rider of the misbehaving horse, or her connections.

Whatever happened, it is a poor day for showing. I wonder how they will word it in the H and H write up.

And TBH, MS Jerram showed an appalling lack of manners by not taking it out without being told whether it was HOYS Championship or not.

What anasty taste left in the mouth after decent classes with top class winners.

gmw

Visit site
Sorry not leaving the arena at all!!! she went to talk to her friend on the side of the school! After she halted at G. She was the last competitor in that particular test.

joycec

Visit site
Alice, I've never watched a show class before. Why don't the heavyweight hunters have more bone? They just looked like overweight middleweights (or even overweight light middleweights) to me.

I just saw your answer Alice. Yes, that's more what I expected to see!

What I wrote first-
I think I've probably put this badly. I don't mean that the heavyweights were grossly overweight, just that I expected them to have thicker legs. Is there an 'amount of bone' measurement for the different weight classes? If so, I'd be intrigued to know what number of inches heavyweight show hunters normally have, anyone???

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As chief slave I shall let you off not providing prior pics, he's very smart :), and an excellent colour, am definitely not chestnut biased at all ;).

AA's brother is very smart too :D - you just need bigger pockets :D.

Frumpoon

Visit site
There is no 'amount of bone' it's based on the weight they are capable of carrying. Rider weight not horse weight!!

Apologies if I'm being thick but doesn't the amount of bone dictate, amongst other factors, what weight the horse can carry....so a while ago I had some brilliant feedback in what class to enter my biggest horse in, turns out that as he has a good 9 inches of bone ( honestly it could be 10, I forget) that he is a classic heavyweight hunter and this puts him capable of carrying 14 stone

minesadouble

Visit site
Apologies if I'm being thick but doesn't the amount of bone dictate, amongst other factors, what weight the horse can carry....so a while ago I had some brilliant feedback in what class to enter my biggest horse in, turns out that as he has a good 9 inches of bone ( honestly it could be 10, I forget) that he is a classic heavyweight hunter and this puts him capable of carrying 14 stone
Yes obviously amount of bone is obviously one of the factors that dictates what a horse will carry. I simply meant that hunter weight classes do not specify how much bone a horse must have to fall into a specific weight category. Which is what i readI the poster above to be asking.

spottybotty

Visit site
AA ,my daughter has been competing in heavy weights this year on a close relation of Adorable Alice and the horse in the 2nd pic. They went to the RI this year and will be contesting HOYs classes next year, he is what I would say is a true heavy weight, very similar to the horse in the 2nd picture but grey and more mature. I noticed that many in the heavy weights were just in fact fat Middleweights! Over grown TB`s with very little bone and huge fat bodies.

TrasaM

Visit site
I was seated next to an ID judge on a flight to Ireland last year. She said that it was kept quiet prior to the show that she would be a judge so that no one could 'contact' her and offer inducements! :eek:
I went to the shire country show in Belton in the spring and just for fun and knowing nothing much about shires I picked who I though were the winners. I got 2 of the first three placings..however the horse in 2nd place was distinctly not right ..stride uneven or lame.
Connemara pony show 2012. A filly placed 2nd went on to win overall young horse beating a young stallion who'd won in another class she'd been in. Said judge was European guest ( Dutch I think) what a fuss that caused as he obviously didn't realise or pander to the 'vested interest' of judges in getting their own blood lines coming first. :D The following year no guest judges were invited.

casspow

Visit site
What an awful decision!
I thought this kind of behavior only happened at local competitions not one of the more desirable high class performances of the year?!

what a shame :(

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I was seated next to an ID judge on a flight to Ireland last year. She said that it was kept quiet prior to the show that she would be a judge so that no one could 'contact' her and offer inducements! :eek:
I went to the shire country show in Belton in the spring and just for fun and knowing nothing much about shires I picked who I though were the winners. I got 2 of the first three placings..however the horse in 2nd place was distinctly not right ..stride uneven or lame.
Connemara pony show 2012. A filly placed 2nd went on to win overall young horse beating a young stallion who'd won in another class she'd been in. Said judge was European guest ( Dutch I think) what a fuss that caused as he obviously didn't realise or pander to the 'vested interest' of judges in getting their own blood lines coming first. :D The following year no guest judges were invited.

This, and all of the other stories on this thread, are why I don't do showing. Stick to stuff where it's obvious who wins - you either jumped something or you didn't and the poles either stay up or they don't!!

minesadouble

Visit site
The judges for HOYS itself and indeed the qualifying shows are all published well in advance. This enables people to avoid judges who they know don't suit their animal. It also needs to be arranged well in advance as HOYS judges are not allowed to judge any qualifying classes in that year. We are very friendly with a panel judge who has judged at HOYS and has never mentioned any 'bribes' though he does get invited out for dinner a lot ;)

RunToEarth

Visit site
And TBH, MS Jerram showed an appalling lack of manners by not taking it out without being told whether it was HOYS Championship or not.

What anasty taste left in the mouth after decent classes with top class winners.

I agree with this, and to be honest it is getting a lot more common place to chance your luck on something that is clearly dangerous, and staying put until asked to leave - after all on the hunting field if you have something that volatile you don't wait for your horse to kick something or to be asked to leave by the master - you take a view, surely?

ozpoz

Visit site
It shows not only a lack of manners by the rider/producer but is totally disrespectful to the other competitors. What a shame.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I am very confused these days about the weight classes. All of the hunters seem huge both in height & body but not necessarily in bone. I have a pure bred ID, he is 16.2 with nearly 10in of bone and although he is trim he is deep and solid but there is no way he is a HW & in fact I think he'd be lost among the MWs too. I've no idea where to place him right now.

But on the thread subject then manners are paramount. But I expect it's unlikely many of these horses will have been hunting in their life. I'm sure most of them wouldn't be fit enough !!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The judges for HOYS itself and indeed the qualifying shows are all published well in advance. This enables people to avoid judges who they know don't suit their animal. It also needs to be arranged well in advance as HOYS judges are not allowed to judge any qualifying classes in that year. We are very friendly with a panel judge who has judged at HOYS and has never mentioned any 'bribes' though he does get invited out for dinner a lot ;)

A friend of mine judges at county level and she said she has been offered bribes.