What a Farce !!!

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
On checking the website for the forthcoming World Cup Final. It is now clear that Willian Whitaker is not allowed to jump. He is in fact only in the CSI classes. So, as I have been told this week William can not ride a different horse to which he qualified on. (ok I accept that) BUT how the hell does the guy from the UAE manage to compete on Arielle? He certainly has not Q on her, nor has he ridden her in a WC Q. Personally I think it stinks with a capital S. It is about time there was a bit more clarity in showjumping. I am not blaming the BSJA in any shape or form. This must be to do with the FEI. I just wonder whether Abdullah who is from the same Country as the President of the FEI (& rumour has it he is related ) can make a difference. I have heard of wildcards but FGS not in a WC Final.
Makes my blood boil.
mad.gif

BuckingHorse

Visit site
I can't understand this at all. Surely it would be rider qualification that would count or failing that, horse/rider combination?
confused.gif

BTW - Andrew jumped fab at Wales, he did a great round with the bay horse.
smile.gif

SteveGG

Visit site
I read something in the paper about this. If William had riden another horse in a qualifier (even without getting points) then he would be allowed to ride it in the final.
The only reason that the rider from the UAE is being allowed to ride it in the final is that they are not allowed to bring in their own horses because of some virus (african something or other) and therefore they have special dispensation to ride other horses.
I still agree that it stinks.

Gingernags

Visit site
But thats practically fixing the WC!

A qualified rider gets kicked out because another team get special dispensation to bend the rules as their horses have some infection, so they buy horses from under qualified riders that then can't compete???

In that case the affected country could have knocked out an entire team therefore changing the results!

That is totally, totally wrong. If the FEI caused this by allowing a special dispensation for the affected chap, then they should do right by William as if they hadn't allowed the dispensation, he wouldn't have lost his ride with no chance to re-qualify.

Is there anything that can be done?

The Voice

Visit site
William is a very good rider but has he got another horse that is capable of jumping a world cup final courses over the three legs? This is a tough and demanding show and the horse has got to have the experience.

A horse of this expense would not have been sold on a handshake and would have taken a while for the sale to go through. Yes it is unfortunate (will always happen with good horses unless the owners are extremly rich to hold onto them) but he is still going to get the experience in the other classes which will still be very tough and will be competing against the worlds best on a horse that will give him a chance and to forge another partnership. Michael is no mug and will do what is best for William and the horses.

With regards to the UAE rider, if he has qualified but unable to bring his horse because of the threat of disease spreading to western europe which would affect everyone is this his fault ? The new horse he has ridden has qualified as well so I think that the situation although unfortunate for William is a fair result. If the new owner has the money to invest in horses therefore bringing money into the sport, this should be welcolmed as hopefully in the future they may invest in a British rider like William who has the skill to do very well in the sport or British Bred horses.

Some of the biggest prize money shows are in places like Kuala Lumpar and I don't hear riders complaining when they have to go over there to compete on borrowed horses to get good prize money, therefore taking away the opportunity for the national riders to compete.

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Actually yes he did have another horse. Michael had offered him to ride the Wonami horse that Michael was originally set to ride in the final. Presumably this was because he was eligible on Portofino. As far as I am aware 'they' believed this to be above board & exceptable. This fact was even reported here on H&H. Then it got knocked on the head by the powers that be. If the UAE horse is in quarantine & there are worries of it bringing disease into Western Europe then for me it is tough luck. If your horse had missed a vaccination by 1 day it would not be allowed into an FEI event even though the chances of spreading a disease is nil. I dont agree that one rider/country should get dispensation whilst another is given none. I dont feel that any sport should be based on money over ability. Or why do we bother calling it sport.
This is a WC Final Not a competition to ride on borrowed horses. No one should be able to buy themself a place.
BTW the horse was only tried after the British Open, so I think that is quite as speedy sale for a horse of that calibre. Personally I hope the guy falls off at the first fence. There, I feel better now.
blush.gif

dee378

Visit site
Completely agreed. If this other rider is allowed to jump Arielle, Will should be allowed to jump Wonami.

The "sport" is becoming more corrupt by the day.......

CrazyDog

Visit site
The rider from the UAE was not able to bring his horse because of a scheduling problem on the part of the FEI, hence the alternative re-qualifying on Arielle. He did have to jump a WC qualifier standard course in order to take Arielle to the Final.

I am very surprised by the vindictive and unkind comments being made. Yes, it is disappointing for William and I sympathize with his situation but wishing this hadn't happened is no excuse to wish another rider ill.

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
Whilst I sympathise with the predicament I still do not agree. Life is a bitch & then some more. Obviously from the results of the first 2 days of competition things are not going to plan for Abdullah. But did anyone expect it to be any different? You seem to be in the know so I will ask you to answer me one question with hand on heart. Is the new rider of Arielle a relative of Princess Hiya (President of the FEI)? Think very carefully before you answer!

CrazyDog

Visit site
To my knowledge, Abdullah is not related to Princess Haya.

Yes, I do know some of the people involved but I don't feel free to comment further as it is really their business, not mine.