What a night - we have a new arrival.

Scarlett

Visit site
We have a foal - woooo!

Day 353 of my mare Pinks pregnancy today (13th). We've had a close eye on her for over a week now, she's looked close but not quite there, until tonight.

As usual it didn't go quite to plan - I brought her in as usual, she had a little wax on her teats but was happy and her usual self. My neighbour - I live on site - offered to feed the horses at dinner time so I could get some sleep in anticipation of a long night ahead so I left her and went indoors. Thankfully I got caught up chatting to someone online and didn't go to sleep, I flicked over to foalcam to see Pink peeing, and peeing again, and again and realised something was happening. Ran outside to find an agitated Pink with a foal hoof showing, it quickly became apparent that the foal was stuck, we eventually got two hooves but no nose, the head was coaxed out but the foals shoulders were wedged in there. She was struggling at this point and wouldnt stay down to let us pull. We eventually helped her deliver the foal standing up - a big strapping filly. Poor Pink was in shock, literally shaking and having no interest in the foal at all. However a vet visit for a check up, some pain killers and some time to take it all in and all is well. Filly was on her feet quickly. Getting her suckling took some help but all is well now.

Very pleased I didnt go to sleep as foal was born at 9.20 and dread to think what my poor neighbour would have found at 9.30 when she fed, the foal was wedged in there good and proper.

Huge thank you's to my neighbours who rolled their sleeves up and got in there to help when I needed them.

Anyway - the important bit... :)

Ruby - By Randi's Rebel (Hann) from my TB mare.

TPO

Visit site
I sorry for wishing too hard for a chestnut filly!! Lol

She's stunning!! So glad that P is ok and hopefully it'll go smoothly from here on.

Choccie

Visit site
Congratulations, sounds like a very eventful evening, at least she was kind enough to deliver at a civilised hour!

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you everyone, she's monster! She's taken to doing laps of the stable, Pink is already glowering at her. Bless.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Yay, healthy baby horse! Good stuff.

'Cause I'm me though, I gotta ask. . .how did you get Hannovarian for the sire?? Randi is Hungarian with mostly Holst breeding and the dam is a VERY well bred ISH with Chair Lift, King of Diamonds etc. - credit where credit is due! ;)

Scarlett

Visit site
Yay, healthy baby horse! Good stuff.

'Cause I'm me though, I gotta ask. . .how did you get Hannovarian for the sire?? Randi is Hungarian with mostly Holst breeding and the dam is a VERY well bred ISH with Chair Lift, King of Diamonds etc. - credit where credit is due! ;)

Yes, apologies, can I use baby (foal) brain and the fact it was the early hours as an excuse? I've heard him be refered to as Hann but that was incorrect.

Obv me being me I know far more about the TB in there than anything else! :)

Rollin

Visit site
Congratulations and well done for helping mum out - why do we do it? Looks a lovely foal I wish you joy.

SKY

Visit site
Congrats, she is stunning. Great u seen her in time. Mares always wait til that min nones there. But great outcome. Enjoy her, wee cutie.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you everyone - 4 days old today, my mare is being a super Mum and the filly is growing like a weed. She's everything I had hoped for :)