What a week!! Badminton Grassroots 2011

Hattikins

Visit site
Well what can I say....Firstly an apology for lurking rather than posting over the past few months, will try and post a little more often again! Secondly a huge thank you to all of you who have wished me and Jack luck and supported us at Badders this week, it was has been greatly appreciated :D

We had just the most amazing 4 days, arrived tuesday afternoon and hacked round the Badminton estate with a friend of mine who'd also qualified which was just gorgeous with the evening sun going down.

Dressage was definitely a case of marmite!!! Judge at C gave her 140 equating to a penalty score of 30 I think, and the judge at B gave us 121 which equated to 39.5! So a 19 mark discrepancy and ended with a score of 34.8 which had us in 32nd place after dressage - not great and I was a little disappointed but we were only 5 marks off 2nd place.

Onto SJing with the sun ever shining down on us, by this point and I the most lovely band of supporters who'd arrived from home in the shape of my family, family friends and pony club friends. Jack jumped a lovely neat and most importantly clear round! I was a wimp at the uprights and got him in really deep as i knew he'd be more careful but he gave a great feel over the oxers and we managed just the one stride in the double! :D

Onto the fun bit....After bouncing like a loon in the start box he then had a crisis of confidence between fences 1 and 4 where he felt all over the place and very over awed by the whole occasion, I felt worried at this point but sooo shouldnt have been because as soon as he was heading to the wall at 5 he just took a deep breath and knuckled down and focussed :) and what a ride round we had - he was just amazing and finished with petrol still in the tank and 20ish secs under the optimum time. Mum shed a few tears as we came through the finish and after a fab wash down with sprayers immediately after finishing (fantastic idea Badminton Grassroots organisers!) we headed back to the stables tired but incredibly happy! Not bad for a little chunky pony :D Love him to pieces and couldn't have asked for more, he's been an absolute delight all week.

Finished in 16th place so 2 lovely rosettes and a little prize money to boot was a lovely way to finish the day. Took him for a gentle leg stretch hack this morning with another friend of mine who was competing and her mare and finally packed up and left for home after watching a couple of dressage tests and pootling round the shops.

It was the most special atmosphere, an event beautifully orchestrated by Ollie Bush who deserves much of the credit. The Cross country was just fantastic, a real championship track and had just the right questions and asks in it. The course walks with the BE trainers were invaluable. The stabling and general grassroots site was absolutely fantastic and was calm, quiet and ran like clockwise. Can't praise the organisers enough and The Hog Roast last night was a wonderful way to end 3 long days. A big thank you to my lovely Mum as well who had the task of driving the 3 1/2hrs to and from badminton and was and is always an invaluable helper and supporter all day long, I simply wouldn't have been there without her help :D

On a final note before I waffle even more and bore the pants off you all!: Do everything you can to qualify...you'll have the time of your life! :D

IMG_9482_cropped.jpg

Tangaroo

Visit site
Well done. What a great result. I was there last year and have to admit it was the most amazing experience of my life and one i definitely will be aiming for with my new boy. You had fantastic weather for it. Have you got any more pics?
Jack is such a dude isnt he!
What are your plans with him now?

stacey_lou

Visit site
well done you, so jelous though riding Grassroots is a dream of mine I just hope they are still carrying it on when I get my chance confidently at 100

Great photo hope you had a fab time what an experiance it must have been

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Sounds like you had an absoloutly amazing time - well done on getting there and well done for finishing so well! I did hear that the dressage was stupidly tight! I do think its a shame that so much of it comes down to the dressage, but i suppose they cant make the jumping too much more difficult without making it dangerous or bigger! Your all just too good and find the jumping far too easy! :D

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Well done you :D I thought you looked great and that the dressage scoring was well err interesting!!! You should be so proud though as what a great achievement and the rosettes more than earnt :D

I have lots of fab pics of you as saw you in all three phases! Will upload them when home :D

alfirules

Visit site
well done! :)

sounds like you've had a fab week, love the photo- you both look very happy!

would love to see more pics!

LizzieJ

Visit site
I've also got some xc pics of you, unfortunately I managed to miss time it a bit so was at the wall and log when you came round en route to finding a good jump to photo you at! I might have pics of your friends too :)

Mega congratulations, you must be thrilled :D

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
What a great post - it sounds absolutely fabulous and like you had a ball.

only_me

Visit site
Brill well done! Sounds like an amazing trip!

I think i shall push for eventing here to see if we could maybe qualify for the grassroutes! :D

Hattikins

Visit site
Thank you all, he is indeed a lovely chappy, such a sweetie but a real character too!

Ooo can't wait to see the photos S_C and LizzieJ! Ive only got that photo of him XC that my dad took and a couple I've been tagged in on Facebook taken by other people.

Definitely definitely worth trying to qualify! (to qualify I think it's a top 10% placing in a normal BE90/100 to qualify for a regional final and then a top 25% placing in a RF to qualify for the champs) :)