What a year, what a horse!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I've been reflecting on what i have done with my young horse since the turn of the year and I'm just so proud of him.

I bought him in June 2019 as a just backed 5 yr old (Arab), he could stop and go but that was about it. We just tootled a little as he was very weak and quite nervous, and definitely wouldn't hack alone! Winter arrived and i just kept him quietly ticking over, ready to do a bit more the following year, little did i know Covid would scupper those plans! Again, i kept him ticking over during the first and second lockdown, and gradually built him up to hacking a circular route of 20 minutes on our own, but he still wasn't happy.

Circumstances meant i had to move yards in September 2020, back to my old yard with miles of private, off road hacking which i knew like the back of my hand. I started hacking on our own and straight away he just felt better, but he took the move very badly, he worried the weight off (poor doer) and didn't really settle for a while. I gave him dec-feb off. He came back weak, skinny and just generally looking poor despite good quality food.

But what a year we have had!! Travelling has been an issue for both of us but we're getting better and better, which has allowed us to do several firsts, hire arenas, hire show jumping courses, do a few clinics, do our first dressage and we've even squeezed in a fun ride. He now behaves like a pro when he arrives at venues.

Our solo hacking has improved beyond my hopes and dreams, he is confident, forward and thoroughly enjoys it. He is a gate wizard! We jump 80cm logs while out.

He was clipped for the first time the other day and while nervous to begin with allowed me to keep going and relaxed into it.

The icing on the cake today, i decided to call in Richard maxwell to help with our unloading issues. He is very anxious on the box and would explode out when untied. This was getting worse and due to my own past trauma, i don't feel i have the tools or confidence to deal with these issues. Max came out, did his thing, and i now have a chilled horse, loading and unloading calmly.

Sorry for the mega gushy post but I'm just so excited about this little horse

Pinkvboots

Visit site
He sounds great but a bit like a typical arab in some ways, my Arabi used to rush out of the horse box he kind of outgrew it quite early on thankfully!

You are making brilliant progress with him and I think if they are a bit of a worrier about somethings it does take time and you are giving him that time.

I love Arab's they will really try there heart out for you with a bit of time and understanding, can't wait to see some pictures ?

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I love Arab's they will really try there heart out for you with a bit of time and understanding, can't wait to see some pictures ?

Oh, he's just the most loving horse! And now i have won his trust he just needs a couple of moments to process scary things and off he goes. He reminds me of my old boy in my avatar, they are so similar in looks and personality, my avatar horse was a TB

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Thank you ? i was soooo happy, that was our first competition and while he was incredibly tense, i was so unbelievably proud of how he behaved when we were there. The indoor arena was very overwhelming for him

He's beautiful and you look so happy on him! Can I ask how big he is?

He always makes me smile like this ☺ i think he is around 15.3, he is very leggy. I am 5'2"

Ratface

Visit site
Breeding lines sooon, please!
He looks very like my "Don't You Know Who I Am" Orange Loon. >29 and still up for a dramatic flounce to keep the general gaiety quotient in the 90's!