What age do you let them go hacking alone?

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I know there are so many variables...location, pony, child’s maturity levels but just wondering what age you let them go it alone?

I live in north Devon now, pretty much the middle of no where so a couple of dozen cars go past maybe in a day. Pony we have owned for 5 years and is a 19 year old saint. Child is 11 but really quite sensible and has good road sense. I would only let her go out the driveway which is about 1/4 mile long and maybe as much as a further 1/2 mile up the road before turning back and using that 1/2 mile a few times over as it’s a nice steep hill to condition and improve fitness. She has a mobile and is hi-vizzed from top to toe. I have led lights on pony and child (the tail wraps fit her legs beautifully!) have gone with her each time so far but she wants to go it alone? Thoughts please?

millikins

Visit site
My daughter was about the same age as yours but the yard we were on opened straight onto a bridleway so no roads, also a busy area for dog walkers, cyclists etc so she would have been found very quickly if she'd had a fall.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
A couple of times I have let her go up the killer hill and I waited at the end of the driveway but then can hear them anyway or I just let her on the driveway but not the road alone. Not even sure what the law would be? She has insurance via pony club and also countryside alliance but would need to check small print!

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
Although it’s really hard I think it is important to build their confidence. I was probably a over protective of my daughter and actually made her nervous hacking at 13 as I hadn’t let her do enough on her own. It’s hard being a horsey parent! My own parents weren’t horsey so they were blissfully unaware of the possible pitfalls (and of what we got up to as youngsters!)

nicolenlolly

Visit site
Go with your gut feeling as every situation is different. It sounds fine to me.
Thanks fabbydo so many of the children from school make their own way home via bike or scooter so it’s just another means of transport just one you can talk to and cuddle 😉 I think it’s ok but then I’m only horsey because of the children so only been doing this for 9 years and everything’s such a learning curve!

nicolenlolly

Visit site
Although it’s really hard I think it is important to build their confidence. I was probably a over protective of my daughter and actually made her nervous hacking at 13 as I hadn’t let her do enough on her own. It’s hard being a horsey parent! My own parents weren’t horsey so they were blissfully unaware of the possible pitfalls (and of what we got up to as youngsters!)
ONW great point! My parents aren’t horsey and although I rode at a riding school for a couple of years I know just what I’m learning now! Hubby rides so all this is his fault!! But he would let the 6 year old child out hacking too if he had his way, fwiw his nickname is calamity 😂

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Where else does she go on her own? If you would let her walk the dog on the same route and the pony knows its job, then I would let her go. At eleven she will probably be more responsible than when she is thirteen :D

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I would have let my son go on his own with his old pony. He used to go off a distance away from me or wait til I'd gone off on my pony and belt up behind us! Sadly we sold her last year as he'd outgrown her, we'd had her 5 years and I trusted her. He's 11 now and has a sensible attitude. I've been letting him go off on his own for bike rides for the past 2 years as long as I know the route.

As long as you trust the pony and know where they are going I'd let them go for it.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Our yard goes straight onto a bridleway. I have let my 13 yo son go out up there for 20-30 mins with another (older) teenager. If they go the other route down to the reservoir where it gets busy with cars and walkers etc, I have driven down and waited for them to hack down, and kept an eye on the busy bits, then driven back up and let them hack back up alone. It's hard because at his age I was all over the place on roads and on ponies I hardly knew, with no hi viz, or phones... I have huge anxiety issues which doesn't help.. :/

tankgirl1

Visit site
My own parents weren’t horsey so they were blissfully unaware of the possible pitfalls (and of what we got up to as youngsters!)

My parents weren't horsey either so had no idea what hacking really entailed, and never seemed bothered as long as I seemed happy, my pony addiction didn't cost them anything, and I was out of their hair for a few hours!

Cowpony

Visit site
At our yard they have to be 16 and have obtained their R&RS certificate, but the hacking involves using roads before you get to the woods.

Hollychops

Visit site
I let my daughter go at the age of 14, not because i thought she was unsafe but because i also rode so we would mostly go out together. I dont know there is a legal minimum age so if you feel she would be safe then let her go and enjoy some time with her pony. It will do wonders for her confidence, it did for my daughter (although i still worry about her hacking out solo now! Its a mum thing!! :))

HashRouge

Visit site
I was allowed with a friend from the age of about 13 and on my own from 14, but there was one bridleway my parents asked me not to go on because it often had loose dogs. We had good riding but had to go along main roads to get anywhere, so I think this was fair.

handbagsandhay

Visit site
Does she have a friend (or even someone else older) who could go with her the first few times? That might give her the sense of independence (without having mum walking with her) but break you in gently to it? Agree with above. If she is allowed to walk,, cycle it alone and you trust the pony then it's probably good to let her

J&S

Visit site
We relented and let 11/12 year old go around the block which was a safe, easily monitored route and when she actually did it she didn't like it on her own! We got over this by following/leading in a small, old Suzuki jeep. High light of this era was when the pony over took the jeep on a fairly steep uphill canter! Previously she had been happy to just have her nose close to the back of the vehicle. This wonderful, wise old pony always seemed to know when her young rider was ready to advance a step in her riding career.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Subject to capability of rider and pony, I'd say somewhere between 11 and 13.

Very important to give them plenty of road-sense first. I'm always surprised how little road knowledge some of our sharers have, because I take it for granted now that my kids know how to position at junctions, indicate etc.

windand rain

Visit site
11 would be my choice purely because she is deemed old enough to go to school on her own. I am a bit of a mother bird my kids were kicked out of the nest as soon as they started secondary school. Taught to cook, iron uniforms, and get themselves to school. I despair of kids not being totally independant by 12/13, and preferably 11. I guess it does depend on ability and conditions but its a learning curve so maybe with a sensible friend to start with

Mildlander

Visit site
Can she do her pony club road riding test. My daughter did it around 11. Whilst your gut instinct will tell you if she's ready it's useful to have independent confirmation that she knows what she should do.
And unfortunately in these legal days it is a back up to the insurance if something were to happen.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice, honestly expected to be told I was being daft for considering it! I would trust the pony with my life he is literally perfect other than enjoying using his poop as a pillow!😂 right I will give her 15 minutes unsupervised before she has to phone and let me know she is ok. Will also look into road rider badge, midlander that is a great idea xx

Sealine

Visit site
I know of a Mum who keeps in contact with her daughter when she is hacking alone. Mum and daughter are both hands free on their phones. Mum does the yard jobs and daughter goes out for a hack around the farm. I used to think the Mum was talking to herself whilst mucking out then I realised she was talking to her daughter. Quite clever I thought.

fabbydo

Visit site
I would seriously consider some sort of hatcam, just in case she meets an idiot and also run through a few scenarios with her. (I have a hwk, it does the job well and was fairly cheap.)

Pc2003

Visit site
I think I was about 11. And my pony was a nutter. Mum used to wave me off from the yard, my pony ambling along all butter wouldn’t melt. Then we used to turn the corner on to the track and she used to buck and squeak until I started to cry and let her canter. Fond memories 😂

BSL

Visit site
Can't advise re age. Only you know, re pony/daughter/ environment. However, I use an App, "life 360". I do alot of lone hacking in the middle of no where. My husband can track where I am, on his phone. Sounds creepy, but works for us. Was at my request I hasten to add. May give you a bit of peace of mind.

oldie48

Visit site
My daughter hacked on her own from the age of 10, she was a sensible mature girl who rode well but I always knew her route and how long it should take and tbh I did sometimes go out in the car if I thought she'd been longer than I expected. Aged 13 she would "nanny " me on my horse on more adventurous hacks, she rode better than I did and was completely in control of her pony and I trusted her completely, her role was to keep me safe. and she did. She loved taking the responsibility and it gave her confidence. I knew my daughter and her capabilities and I'm sure you know yours. If you feel she's ready, then let her have her independence, she'll thank you when she's older. My daughter and I sometimes talk about her riding and what she did and she credits it for how her life has shaped up.