What am I to do with deceased passport(horse of course)!

indie999

Visit site
Title says it all. No one asked for it to look at passport when PTS(I thought they would be questioning it was right horse etc).

I did think at time of PTS well that was a pointless lot of effort having a passport. There was me years ago spending to get vet out and document him etc as he had no passport blah blah. As guy reminded me not going into food chain so no one wants it!

There was me thinking I was doing the right thing all those years ago. What blooming waste of time that was!

Bute and cremated. Do I send the darn thing back? Frame it? Sell it on ebay?

catembi

Visit site
Really? I've still got the late Catembi's. Never occurred to me to send it back.

Sorry that you've lost your horse.

T x

Suziq77

Visit site
I think you can request it to be sent back if you want to keep it but would be stamped.

This is true - or at least it was 2 years ago. Ring the issuing agency and ask them what the protocol is, they were very kind to us when we were in this position. Sorry to hear of your loss :(

wench

Visit site
I believe it's law to send it back to pio, as it needs to be recorded that the horse is deceased. You can ask for passport back.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I believe it's law to send it back to pio, as it needs to be recorded that the horse is deceased. You can ask for passport back.

Show me any prosecutions relating to horse passports - I would be intrigued, because I don't believe there are any. I think the only time they come into play is if you are competing or breeding and registering and they can be requested.

Toffee44

Visit site
Still have my old boys. Nothing was said. Dealers still send wrong passports with wrong horses, and no one gets prosecuted, a ehile pile of rubbish if you ask me. Do you have to send it in for insurance purposes I wonder?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Still have my old boys. Nothing was said. Dealers still send wrong passports with wrong horses, and no one gets prosecuted, a ehile pile of rubbish if you ask me. Do you have to send it in for insurance purposes I wonder?

A passport is not proof of ownership. As you say rubbish imo also.

Surreydeb

Visit site
Pointless sending it back as there is now no central database anyway!! I didn't send mine back but did note on NED that horses were deceased. In any case I was passporting one of mine when requirement first came in and it didn't arrive until after pts and I was so upset I shoved it away and forgot!

indie999

Visit site
Ok I am going to keep it...........ha. Thanks for the replies. I cant see what good it will be for anyone etc! But yep feeling a lot better every day even started to peak at another. But am in no rush just yet. I better start saving up again.
Utterly agree as most folks realised the passport was purely for EU food chain...I wonder how many buted horses have been eaten!?!

Thank you for your replies.

TTK

Visit site
I've still got the late Appy's passport, I can't be bothered to send it back and pay for return postage. I wanted to keep it and there is no reason to actually return it to the breed society. Though, when the Guinness Book of Records come calling to see the worlds oldest Appy, I may have some explaining to do. Sympathy to all who have lost their horses, it's always very sad.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
I had to send Bs to the insurance company, they sent it to vetran horse society and they will return it back to me. Presume they stamp it and put it on record that he has died.

moana

Visit site
It is legally the PIO's and must be returned. Most will return it if you ask for it, after they have writtn 'deceased' on it.