What are the chances?

Troylimbo1

Visit site
I bought my first horse in April and after riding him for 6 weeks he went lame and has been off work until about 2 months ago. (tendon damage)
After numerous tests/treatments and vets bills he is now coming back into ridden work after lots of long reining and walking in hand etc BUT.....

Basically he is a very good boy, he is a just 5 year old Connemara. but has thrown a couple of bucks and messed around on the roads a few times now. Usually when asking for an upward transition but can be for no reason at all. Although I'm sure excitement has something to do with it!!
Basically what I want to know is what is the liklihood of finding a sharer that is willing to take things very slowly with him and be kind and patient in teaching him his job (has done nothing in terms of schooling as the dealer unfortunately did a pretty poor job of breaking him). Is anyone interested in doing this sort of thing for a shared horse and for no real gain for them.
I have lost my nerve on him and am very aware that due to his age and lack of training what he learns now will form his roots forever.
He is going to be sent away to a natural horsemanship trainer in April time but needs building up before he can cope with the work load.

Hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for your help

Izzwizz

Visit site
My horse suffered a tear in her DDFT earlier this year so Im in a similar situation to you in slowly bringing her back into work. To find a sharer you need a mature person I would think, someone younger will want to do more quicker and may not be prepared to put the time and effort into the rehabilitiation involved. Could you not have lessons with a natural horsemanship with your horse at your yard rather than sending him away? That would probably help your confidence no end and help you get a good relationship going with your horse. At least then you would have a very good idea of whats needed in your horses education and you would be able to share this with a sharer in the future.

Good luck, its a long road to recovery from tendon injuries. My mare is off for another MRI re-scan to see how its healed and then I may be able to get back on board. Be nice after all the in hand walking we have been doing for the last 3 months.!

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Tell me about it!!

I am booked in to go away with him in April so will have lots of lessons etc then but I have no facilities at home.
His ground work is great so thats good its just the hacking out.

Where do you advertise for 'sensible' loaners
grin.gif

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
why did you buy a young green horse? troylimbo get him on a nearby schooling livery and be involved in his education. up his fibre and reduce his bucket intake. a nervous wobbly with a 5 year old needing direction is not a good combination.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Thats fab if your going away with him in April, be so good for you both. For hacking out have you got a friend with an older experienced horse you could go out with? Failing that maybe someone who could walk with you for moral support and safety.

As for advertising for help, maybe your Feed Merchants or Tack Shop. Horsemart or something similar, or just word of mouth via friends etc.

Hope you get on ok and good luck for April. You may meet someone there where you go for the training or they may know someone.

Troylimbo1

Visit site
I never intended getting a young green horse but I bought a horse from a dealer (disaster from start to finish but long story) after 3 failed exchanges I ended up with him and he was 'the one' he was perfect in every way.
Then he went lame and obviously coming back into work is proving a challenge.
If I could rewind 6 months it would be perfect but we all know you can't do that.
That is why I have held my hands up and said I need help. Just want to know where to look for it.
As I said he cannot go and be schooled until he has built up muscle so he needs lots of straight line hill work in walk until then. I have had a physio out who says at the moment he is nowhere near strong enough to carry weight for any longer than 20 mins.

Izzwizz

Visit site
There are older "green" horses to be had too!! Mine is nearly 15yrs old and is very low mileage. Hadnt done a lot before I got her and is capable of throwing tantrums. We have built up a great bond over the last 4yrs and from being a nappy 11yr old she was hacking out for up to 2hrs on her own so time and patience and it can be done. Sounds like you are looking to the right people for help and your right, it is straight line work that is the key and in walk. What was the tendon damage out of interest? Wonder if it was lurking when you got him from the dealer and maybe you working him made it come to the surface? I have an interest in these injuries as a result of my experience.

You will achieve your goals if you put in the effort, good luck with it all.

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Thank you for being so kind and positive it means a lot.
I can't remember what tendon it was (poss same as yours) it runs down the outside of the cannon bone and it basically rubbed on the navicular bone and caused lesions. He had shock therapy and eventually came sound. His MRI actually found it in both front feet.
He now has his 'Nike Airs' on as I call them. Natural balance shoes and hard gel filler and he is absolutely fine.
Looking back he definately was brewing when I got him as he found hills and uneven ground very hard going.
Never mind I see light at the end of the tunnel now.
Good luck with yours too

Izzwizz

Visit site
Thank you for that. I often wonder why horses end up at dealers, I know some are there for genuine reasons but people I know have had relatively bad luck with their purchases. My mares problem could only have been found via MRI as its deep within her hoof, running behind her pedal bone. Other problems were blamed for her intermittent lameness, (bone chip or joint mouse as it was called in her fetlock). I wasnt convinced and asked for her to be scanned and am so glad she was. We could have been guessing for months.
At least you know precisely whats going on and can address it correctly now. He is only a baby and Im sure you will get great satisfaction from turning him into a lovely horse.

Good luck for 2010, this time next year Im sure it will be a different story for us both.