What are they using to get the necks?!

Cam Eq

Visit site
I’m not saying I want it on my horses, just asking what they are using!
On some show horses/ponies they have huge cresty necks, giving the appearance of a big front. Like stallions necks but on mares and geldings too. I don’t think it’s muscle, it’s too big. It could be an accumulation of fat from years of over feeding for the show ring. But it looks very unnatural. Injected?

ArklePig

Visit site
I can't comment on mares, but I know a lovely 18 yo gelding with a massive chest and topline and a nice big bum- he wasn't cut until he was well matured. So I'm sure that accounts for some of them regards to unnatural stuff, haven't a clue what they could use to achieve that but I'd be interested to know if there is something.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Obesity in show horses is one of the biggest welfare issues out there - not helped by the likes of H&H printing photos of grossly overweight animals and using showing producers as columnists.

I have a very smart cob mare, who I know would do well in the show ring if I pumped her full of food, but I'd rather she was fit, lean and healthy and never saw a cob class in her life.

holeymoley

Visit site
This ?? 100%

Mine was quite successful showing in his younger years but in hindsight he was very overweight. After a very large wake up call, changing management and doing my own very lengthy research in to feeds he is quite lean now. I took him to a showing show for a bit of fun and he got placed last in every class compared to others who struck off on the wrong canter lead/pratted about. I can only imagine it was because he was very lean as opposed to being obesely round and cresty. That was it for me. I won’t be stepping foot in a showing show again unless it’s for a bit of fun. I’ll stick to dressage!

jnb

Visit site
My cob has a good neck and hasn't been pumped full of anything? He's just a cob (and SOME of these cobs - if that's what we are talking about - have "creative" hogs which give them the illusion of having a bigger neck than they really do).

Mine (will probably get flamed for him being overweight, he's not he is a HW cob and fed rough grass, meadow hay, Equimins Advance and Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs)
PS He is very dirty and happy in this pic having been naked and rolling in the dust :)

Attachments

• E8DE5249-DD4C-4061-9F3F-863004BBD6B3.jpeg
    E8DE5249-DD4C-4061-9F3F-863004BBD6B3.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 196

Winters100

Visit site
Personally I am really shocked by the state of some that I see photographed in HH, to me they simply look obese. I don't really understand how you can have these 'hunter' classes when the winning horse looks as if it would not last 10 minutes out hunting. Personally I believe that it is no different for horses than humans, and that having them overweight is simply storing up problems for the future.

scats

Visit site
The showing world horrifies me if I’m honest. A have a few friends on Fb who are really into showing M&Ms and the pictures regularly shared are of cresty, seriously obese ponies in a ring with a load of other dangerously obese ponies. The problem is, many of them are seriously successful. Until judges start penalising people for overweight animals, the problem is going to get worse and worse.

jnb

Visit site
Not ALL horses that are shown are fat, and not all spend hours in side reins. Mine's never had side reins on and I would never allow him to.
Showing is the devil incarnate apparently, here on HHO. As with everything some riders and producers give us all a bad name. That said, there are only a handful of producers I would trust with my cob (not that I would have him produced as it is my dream to qualify for Search 4 a Star which is amateur only)
And even then I would monitor VERY closely and turn up early for any appointments I'd made. Heard too many horror stories about steroids, side reins, wire bits etc etc.

holeymoley

Visit site
My cob has a good neck and hasn't been pumped full of anything? He's just a cob (and SOME of these cobs - if that's what we are talking about - have "creative" hogs which give them the illusion of having a bigger neck than they really do).

Mine (will probably get flamed for him being overweight, he's not he is a HW cob and fed rough grass, meadow hay, Equimins Advance and Thunderbrooks Hay Cobs)
PS He is very dirty and happy in this pic having been naked and rolling in the dust :)

I wouldn’t say your guy is the type OP is talking about. Your guy is lovely! He’s clearly a heavy set cob, he looks well proportioned and muscly. The ones OP is referring to are the ones that you can see the fat pads and the big cellulite hind ends.

humblepie

Visit site
Another to say don't tar all those who show the same. My horse was produced, yard used no gadgets or gimmicks, just proper work and proper schooling. Horses were not fat but fit and well muscled. Some of the show horses did hunt over winter and had lots of turn out.

Snowfilly

Visit site
You can get a nice neck with good basic conformation, lots of work on the correct muscles and being a bit clever on the hogging or plaiting to make the crest look bigger.

You can also get a big crest by stuffing a horse full of fat and starch, which takes much less time and effort.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My Arab was cut at 4 his always had a good neck his not constantly in side reins his not obese either, I have done a bit of Arab showing and I have seen a few fat horses put down the line for being too fat, the judge has actually told the owner why thet were put last so not judges like fat horses.

I must admit I find the native classes seem to be the worse for obese horses, I have been to a lot of the bigger county shows so seen a variety of classes.

Cam Eq

Visit site
Not ALL horses that are shown are fat, and not all spend hours in side reins. Mine's never had side reins on and I would never allow him to.
Showing is the devil incarnate apparently, here on HHO. As with everything some riders and producers give us all a bad name. That said, there are only a handful of producers I would trust with my cob (not that I would have him produced as it is my dream to qualify for Search 4 a Star which is amateur only)
And even then I would monitor VERY closely and turn up early for any appointments I'd made. Heard too many horror stories about steroids, side reins, wire bits etc etc.
Agreed

Cam Eq

Visit site
I wouldn’t say your guy is the type OP is talking about. Your guy is lovely! He’s clearly a heavy set cob, he looks well proportioned and muscly. The ones OP is referring to are the ones that you can see the fat pads and the big cellulite hind ends.
Yes, jnb yours is naturally fab?. It’s the fake looking ones I’m wondering about ?

Cam Eq

Visit site
My Arab was cut at 4 his always had a good neck his not constantly in side reins his not obese either, I have done a bit of Arab showing and I have seen a few fat horses put down the line for being too fat, the judge has actually told the owner why thet were put last so not judges like fat horses.

I must admit I find the native classes seem to be the worse for obese horses, I have been to a lot of the bigger county shows so seen a variety of classes.
Yes, I compete Connemaras and that’s where I’m seeing it

Orangehorse

Visit site
A lady I know was telling us that she bought a cob that was a rig. They paid for the operation to have it gelded and then they sold it to a Very Well Know show producer when it became a very famous champion Horse of the Year show cob.

Cam Eq

Visit site
I want to know what the OP thought these horses were injected with?
That’s what I don’t know! It might be steroids. I just think it looks so fake. Even if the body isn’t overly fat they have these huge crests! I know some of these Connemaras and know they weren’t gelded later. They have these pads in their necks similar to implants. I would add a photo but I’d have to steal it from Facebook!!