What are they ?

WallisM

Visit site
My old pony has had a rug on now for about a month and I have noticed when grooming and just looking at his rump he has little scabs under his coat, When I touched them he appears to like it
blush.gif
. I have picked one off and it is like yellow crusty stuff
crazy.gif
and tuffs of hair come off but doesn't leave baldy patches.
Anyone elses pony/horse got this ?
x
laugh.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yeah the same sort of bug. Wash the area with hibiscrub and get all the scabs off. Then keep moist with something like baby oil or topical treatment cream. Is ponio over-rugged and getting too hot - this can result in causing similar symptoms.

miss_bird

Visit site
If it is rainscald, after washing with hibiscrub cover with petrolium (sp) jelly and leave the rg off the jelly is waterproof but breatheable. if you put the rug back on as rainscald is a bacteria it will breed under the rug. I would leave the rug off until the rainscald has nearly cleared up.

Scarlett

Visit site
my highland had the same thing last year - vet told me it was caused by him sweating up under his rug (it was only a light weight!!) and to chuck him out naked!! i gave him a good bath with hibiscrub and chucked him out either with nothing or a rainsheet to stop him getting soaked and filthy and it never came back - this year he has a rainsheet and nothing else...