what are you giving to your horse for its crimbo tea??

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I have bought swede parsnip and was thinking about cabbage but was told it was too gassy for them! with swede and parsnip he is having

Swede
Parsnip
Carrots
Apples
normal feed

Anything anyone else can suggest??

mariebeard

New User
Visit site
Totally agree re the Colic posting, did you realise that there are more vet call outs for colic cases at Christmas than any other time of the year. Don't upset your horses tummy by literally killing him with kindness. Stick to what you know won't hurt him!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Same thing he gets throughout the year
wink.gif

A horse I knew had an awful bout of colic a few years ago on christmas night and was PTS on boxing day
frown.gif
He wasnt worked on chrimble day (or turned out), then the owner filled him with god knows how many extras in his feed and he got ill late night
frown.gif

Quarrybank

Visit site
Mine both get their normal feed, plus apples & carrots & ........Guiness - My Irish boy loves it & it will be the 4yo's first christmas with me, but as he eats everything I'm sure he'll love it too.
My mum buys it for them each year
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to stick to the same food - the last thing you need at Christmas is a bout of colic because you have upset the horses digestion

[/ QUOTE ] My thoughts entirely! Although I suspect daughter's pony will get a few extra polos!

JessPickle

Visit site
Normal feed he allready has a few carots in his feed, and gets a lot as it is. He doesnt know its xmas so he doesnt care what he is fed as long as he gets food!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Mine will just get some extra apples and carrots. I have brought them each a stocking of treats but will they will only have a few. Will probably chuck a bag full of carrots into the field too (between 5 horses & 5 shetties).

Other than that same as usual.

eventingdiva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer to stick to the same food - the last thing you need at Christmas is a bout of colic because you have upset the horses digestion

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, last thing we want is colic on christmas day! x

truffles

Visit site
I'm a scrooge, she just gets her normal feed, but will take her some apples. Don't want to upset her tummy with anything that I don't know whether it will hurt her or not.

pottamus

Visit site
Mine will get his normal feed plus an apple or two. I have got him a lickit so he will be allowed that for a few minutes at a time over the course of a few days too...if I can get it open of course!!!!