What bit do you show jump & xc in?

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I have always used a waterford and Mick has been really happy, but he went lame over the summer which has resulted in me not jumping for 11 weeks.

I have been doing lots of flatwork in an Eldonian snaffle and he is going lovely, have gone from 60% average dressage to 68.7% last time out. On Sunday I did a charity ride and put the waterford in. He was not a happy bunny, and took a while to settle. When i jumped along the route he was really behind the bit, bouncing up and down and not going forward even though I wasn't holding him.

I am being trained to ride forward into jumps, but I just feel at the moment to jump him in a snaffle would be suicide. I also hack on a copper roller Dring snaffle which I may try jumping him in at the weekend.

He hates happy mouths and straight bars, so they are out. I would also need to hunt in this bit as I normally hunt in the waterford too.

Looks like all my schooling is paying off, but it has created a new dilema. ;)

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
I have always used a waterford and Mick has been really happy, but he went lame over the summer which has resulted in me not jumping for 11 weeks.

I have been doing lots of flatwork in an Eldonian snaffle and he is going lovely, have gone from 60% average dressage to 68.7% last time out. On Sunday I did a charity ride and put the waterford in. He was not a happy bunny, and took a while to settle. When i jumped along the route he was really behind the bit, bouncing up and down and not going forward even though I wasn't holding him.

I am being trained to ride forward into jumps, but I just feel at the moment to jump him in a snaffle would be suicide. I also hack on a copper rolled Dring snaffle which I may try jumping him in at the weekend.

He hates happy mouths and straight bars, so they are out. I would also need to hunt in this bit as I normally hunt in the waterford too.

Looks like all my schooling is paying off, but it has created a new dilema. ;)

Any suggestions welcome.

I ride my horse in a raised port mullen mouth pelham, with roundings and curb chain for jumping and a snaffle which has poll pressure, but for the life of me can't remember its name, for dressage!! I used to use a three ring gag (continental snaffle) for jumping but did not find it very effective.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Does the raise port on the pelham stop them getting their tongue over the bit? He really is an expert at it. :D

I have got a jointed pelham, I suppose I could try that on him, especially now he has more schooling under his belt. mmm:)

ecrozier

Visit site
NS universal gag with curb strap for the Arab, swap between gag and snaffle ring depending on where we are/his mood!
Youngster still in a NS Starter loose ring lozenge snaffle for everything so far

applecart14

Visit site
Does the raise port on the pelham stop them getting their tongue over the bit? He really is an expert at it. :D

I have got a jointed pelham, I suppose I could try that on him, especially now he has more schooling under his belt. mmm:)

It helped slightly for my previous horse whom I bought the bit for as he was constantly sticking his tongue out to the side of his mouth. I feel my horse goes better in a pelham than anything so use the same bit for him. However I would recommend getting a dentist out to see if there is not a problem first with this teeth that is causing this.

My previous horse suffered from Wobblers. Although I'd had his mouth checked by the dentist the tongue problem may have been caused by issues with his neck.

My present horse has only got his tongue over the bit once in the six years I've owned him - at least that I could detect. That was only a couple of weeks ago, never happened before, not happened since.

cobface

Visit site
Currently a french link snaffle, but may need something stronger as shes getting way too strong and excited jumping lately :D

Mickeymoo

Visit site
thanks for all you're replies. lots to digest tonight.

He has his teeth checked every 6 months as he is busy in his mouth and gets hooks quickly, so all ok in that department.

I think I may bite the bullet and give him a run out on the Eldonian snaffle as the curve really seems to suit him and he seems to listen to me more now. I think I have just got into the habit of putting him in the waterford when maybe he doesn't need it now.

Its interesting to read what people use and why, thanks.

shiggins

Visit site
On my old tank, I used a thin mouth Beval with 3.5 inch rings. It was great for him, he was quite strong and leaned down, but he was fussy and liked a strong contact, so some of the stronger bits made him angry or got in the way of the stronger contact he liked. But he was a level headed guy who was the same at home as at a show, very very consistent.

On my younger one, its tricky. He is a lovely soft ride in a snaffle on the flat, very easy to adjust off the seat, and built naturally uphill, he has this lovely elevated springy canter. But - put some fences in front of him and he becomes very inconsistent. He can get very excited and tries to drag me down, losing his adjustability and then he just blows his distances because he doesnt have the experience to adjust himself for fences yet. But he can just as easily get backed off and be very sticky. But most bits either do nothing at all (so far slow twists and waterfords have little effect once he gets jumping, they dont help to lift him when he surges forward and down), or cause him to curl up behind the bit and it squishes his jump and makes him sticky. I have had the best luck with the same bit as I rode my old guy in, but he sometimes gets to a show and just runs through it. I have a Myler combination bit that is great for him sometimes, and other times not so much, depending on how he is being. But its a really cool bit, pretty mild in the mouth because at a certain amount of pressure it shifts to the nose and chin pressure. A thought for the sensitive but strong horse. http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/v..._002/album_001/album_001/070810-4155.jpg.html

If anyone has thoughts on the universal cheek versus the regular continental cheek (It seems like the universal has about half an inch less of a shank, does it make much of a difference?).