What bit for racers?

kandm

Visit site
As the title says really...

What bits do race horses usually wear? I have an ex racer and still don't feel I've 100% got her biting right, which made me think, maybe I should try a bit which she could have possibly raced in.

TIA.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
I think you need to look at your horse as a horse and not an ex racer. It all depends on their mouth conformation and preference as to what they "like" and go best in.

My late mare ran in a eggbutt snaffle which she hated, but in reality she went best in a loose ring happymouth with a lozenge mouthpiece.

paddi22

Visit site
mine was fussy with his tongue and went well in a d ring copper roller. switched him them to a ns team up and he loved that. he also went well in a dr cook bitless.

be positive

Visit site
They tend to race, be exercised in something simple often a single jointed loose ring snaffle and unless they have real issues they just get on with the work without fuss, coming out of training and being reschooled will throw up a new type of problem as they are ridden in a totally different way, contact now means soften, yield to the rein, not go faster as it tends to do in training where shortening the reins or changing hands means get down to business.
So whatever she raced in will have little bearing on how she now goes, one in my yard was very strong when training so they tried various strong bits to try and control him, he ended up with cuts to his mouth from fighting, he spent time in a happy mouth, later a french link but is now in a single jointed loose ring but will probably change as his education progresses, he does not like a double jointed bit as his lower jaw is very narrow so the joints end up on his bars, I suspect he will always be a bit tricky although hacking he is fine in anything as long as he does not get the bit between his teeth and tank off as nothing will stop him.

Visit site
As has been said, what they train and race in will have very little effect on what happens later in life.

Personally I ride with a jointed full cheek snaffle at work. A few others do too, then others use a full cheek happy mouth, eggbuts, loose rings etc...

They all race in either a jointed or happy mouth full cheek snaffle.

The ones I have taken home have liked different things. One liked my Ns loose ring comfort mouth snaffle, another prefers the bridoon snaffle and the last still likes his jointed full cheek. All go well I'm show Pelhams too.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Both of mine have small mouths and one has an especially big tongue so something thin and shaped works quite well on them. I have a Myler comfort snaffle which the one with a big tongue liked and the other is in a neue schule starter.