What bit to wear hunting

Julia0803

Visit site
I was wondering what others would suggest please.

My lovely boy and I are hoping to go hunting for the first time in December.

He is currently in a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge/french link.

He isn't strong. He is totally chilled out and likes to take life at a leisurely pace ;)

He has never been hunting, but has been XC in groups and stayed chilled out and the same as always, no problems with breaks.

Would you keep him in the same bit, based on the fact that he is not usually strong and goes nicely in it, or would you want to use something stronger as it is his first time and we don't know if it will blow his brain… admittedly he is super chilled out normally but you never know!

Regandal

Visit site
I took my "chilled out" boy hunting in a french link snaffle. Had to give up after an hour as my arms and legs were like jelly trying to hold him. When I got off him, I collapsed in a heap as my legs were gone! Next time he went in a 3 ring gag, on the middle. Fab. Be warned!

gunnergundog

Visit site
In an ideal world (yes, I know...) you would have taken your horse out for the first time cubbing/autumn hunting where the pace is much slower, there is much standing around and horses learn that hunting is not just galloping and jumping; consequently, there is less chance of 'blowing his brain' and you generally get a more educated, civilized horse at the end of the exercise.

Soooo....given that you are going to drop him in now, I would suggest that you up the braking system at least one level, if not two! This may mean changing your bit, noseband, martingale or any combination of those......what to, depends on his level of training and what he tends to do - bear down on your hands, nose up and run through bridle, grab hold of bit on one side or both or something else.

Be prepared to go out several times experimenting; nothing can truly replicate hunting so you never really know the efficacy of a braking system until you put it to the test! Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well - my boy who isn't strong and is lovely and soft on the flat in his sweet iron french linkwill be hunting in a pelham - brakes are important and I want both Kal and Z to come home safe. When he's been hunting for a while (he hunted before I bought him but is out of practice), perhaps we will switch to a snaffle - but only if he is calm and mannerly enough.

P

Julia0803

Visit site
Thank you both for your replies.

EEK Regandal… I am hoping for a little bit of sensibleness!

I would have loved to take him out cubbing. Unfortunately it wasn't possible due to timings- i only got him in the last week of September, and obviously wanted to settle a bit with him. There was one meet locally, but due to the timing of it unfortunately i couldn't go as DH couldn't get time off work to get kids up/to school etc.

Gunnergundogb… i don't know what he will do in terms of leaning, nose up etc, as he is always so mannerly. He doesn't currently wear a martingale or breast plate. I do have one kicking about tho, so could put that on just incase. He is currently in a normal cavesson bridle.

What bit would you suggest as a starting point, bearing in mind I am not sure what his strong/tanking off method will be?

I am going with 3 others from our yard, all experienced hunters and on two experienced horses.

Thanks again.

The wife

Visit site
Be prepared to go out several times experimenting; nothing can truly replicate hunting so you never really know the efficacy of a braking system until you put it to the test! Good luck and enjoy!

It took us nearly a full season with one particular horse to find the right combination! My extensive bit collection got used a fair bit that year :)

The bit would depend on so many things OP, when he does get strong at home does he lift his head or drop on to your hands? Does he open his mouth? What is his mouth conformation like? I would be tempted to say a Dutch gag with double reins and a flash to start with - personally I hate them but there are many options to chop and change with easily during the day if needs be, especially with 2 reins. One can move the curb rein up or down as necessary, remove the flash, tighten it, ride just off snaffle etc. and I would without a doubt use a martingale or a breastplate with martingale attachment, if not for a neck strap more than anything.

Julia0803

Visit site
Thanks, the problem is, TheWife, that he hasn't ever had a naughty moment when he has ever been strong. lol! Galloping and jumping XC in company he has been fine. Doesn't get strong out at competitions or hacking and we do a fair bit of fast hacking. I absolutely love love love riding him as he just gives you so much confidence and is so nice. (Sounds silly i know, but I feel like i say, "Can we please…" and he says "Ok mum..", altho if it requires putting effort in in the school it's more of a "oh… if i must..") Because of that I am not sure which way to go bitting, in terms of i am not sure what he would do if he got strong.

I will be totally honest, (and embarrassed to say) I am not sure what his mouth conformation is like. He is happier in a thinner french link/lozenge than he was when I tried him in a thickish snaffle with a nutcracker action. (He was seen by the dentist in March and all fine).

Thank you very much, ill look into those suggestions.

The wife

Visit site
Oh he sounds lovely. What a nice sounding attitude he has. I may be getting slight pony envy! Don't be embarrassed, it's not something we paid much attention to until a couple of years back. If he likes the French link, perhaps find a slightly stronger but with the link still in it, especially if you know he already dislikes the nutcracker action.

He may still be a snaffle mouth whilst out hunting eventually but I would definitely errr on the side of caution for the first few times and then some after. All of ours are snaffle mouthed at home, even to canter upsides with but come hunting, we have a combination of Pelhams and Cheltenham gags, cross nose bands and flashes. Afraid it will just be trial and error. Although I do think a Dutch gag with a French link and double reins may be your best bet, due to the different combinations available and that can be changed quite quickly and easily. You'll have to let us know how you get on :)

nix123

Visit site
I hunt my warmblood in a loose ring snaffle. I find he has the same amount of brakes in the school, hacking & hunting. I do find he likes to be either in the middle or up front though. He's not naughty just excited and fidgity. As a rule the first time they go its all eyes on stalks and snorting but good manners. 2nd time its a little more chilled as they take it in more. 3rd time they know what its about and get excited. Just treat it as a super long hack crossed with xc jumps too. You'll both have a fab time i'm sure.

Regandal

Visit site
He sounds a lovely horse. My boy is like that, very mannerly - he would never misbehave normally. At the meet, he started to "faff", because he wasn't allowed to go forwards. So - he went sideways. Or reversed whilst circling. He had been hunting before, and got very excited. Breastplate is a good idea, as The wife says, a grab handle comes in handy. Just remember, they usually stop when all the others stop. Enjoy!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Gunnergundogb… i don't know what he will do in terms of leaning, nose up etc, as he is always so mannerly. He doesn't currently wear a martingale or breast plate. I do have one kicking about tho, so could put that on just incase. He is currently in a normal cavesson bridle.

What bit would you suggest as a starting point, bearing in mind I am not sure what his strong/tanking off method will be?

QUOTE]

A hunting breastplate with running martingale attachment, fitted correctly, will be useful if you are in hilly country and will only come into play if he raises his head. I would probably also add a loose flash....just in case! Re bit....it would depend on age of horse, breed of horse, level of training of horse and competence/experience of jockey! What else do you do with him? Do you compete in what discipline and what level and with what degree of success? Am not being funny, just trying to get a fuller picture of things in order to be constructive.

yaffsimone1

Visit site
If generally goes nicely in a snaffle, I try him in a Pelham for hunting. I wouldnt bother with a martingale if he doesnt normally have one but i think the most important piece of equipment after the bit would be a neck strap...i think this is a must, you will need something grab onto if need be and you don't need a martingale to have a neck strap

express_75

Visit site
I took my 4 yr old welsh D gelding hunting in his usual a full cheek snaffle, towards the end I had practically no control due to awful snatching with mouth wide open etc. took him for a second attempt and he was even worse. I've got breaks but it's the standing around that causes violent snatching and pulling me downhill.
I'm thinking of trying a pee-wee bit and or flash...or if anyone has some advice, I'd gladly take it.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I personally, and dad my did this with the Old Mare, just go in normal set up (french link snaffle), with maybe the martingale for you ;) Very possibly a change to a drop noseband. Although Dad far stronger than me, so fast work with her I had her in a Myler short combination bit. Sheer magic :D

If he is not used to having something like a dutch gag in (IMO pointless putting on main hole as no real difference in bit action) then you might that that counter productive as he could start a fight with that.

As someone has said, if he has never hunted then the chances are he will do the classic of lulling you into thinking you have the best hunt horse as nothing fazed him, he pulled up etc. They normally get the hint by the 3rd time :D

Bear in mind though, that even if there are options with a bit (gag for example) the chances of being able to change while out are potentially slim to none.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Op don't change your bit for your first days hunting - see how he goes on this occasion first.

However I would absolutely put a running martingale on him.

meesha

Visit site
How about a Cheltenham gag with peanut/roller, knot gag rein over neck (loop through other rein to make sure it doesn't go over head) then ride off the snaffle rein so it feels no different for him but you have the reassurance of breaks if required. Worked for my chap for a while but last few times out I used a tom thumb on recommendation of someone v experienced, nice and thin so not lot in mouth for those who prefer thin.

My first time out my chap was v strong, great second time and nightmare third but got better from there, if you go with experienced friends stay behind horse that doesn't kick and yours will hopefully stop when friends does. Have fun, v jealous x

Lucyad

Visit site
I've hunted my laid back boy in his french link, and also tried a Waterford and a Pelham, as he has a tendency to lean if I take a hold. What works best is for me to leave him in his french link and give him his head and trust him - he slows when the others slow, stop when they stop, and I can still steer! We have a pact that if I don't pull neither will he. To slow I sit up, drop the contact and say walk - much to everyone's amazement he usually does! If they are the calm laid back type who aren't going to go anywhere I think you can get into more of a mess anticipating a fight tbh.

Julia0803

Visit site

QUOTE]

A hunting breastplate with running martingale attachment, fitted correctly, will be useful if you are in hilly country and will only come into play if he raises his head. I would probably also add a loose flash....just in case! Re bit....it would depend on age of horse, breed of horse, level of training of horse and competence/experience of jockey! What else do you do with him? Do you compete in what discipline and what level and with what degree of success? Am not being funny, just trying to get a fuller picture of things in order to be constructive.

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions.

Gunnergundog, during the week he is mainly a happy hacker with me. We go out in company for usually around1.5-2 hours per day. Roadwork and off road with several canters and a good gallop at least once a week, sometime with the odd bit of XC jumping thrown in for fun. We have lessons with a dressage instructor once a week. My ten year old novice son also rides him, has lessons, potters about hacking and does PC with him and his confidence is just growing and growing.

In terms of competing not much so far! My son took him out on halloween to a local PC show and did a clear round and 50-60cm course, and he passed his D+ test with him at their first ever pc rally together. I have taken him to dressage just the once so far (we have just bought a trailer this week so up until then were relying on friends for lifts) and he was fab. Ideally over the winter we will hopefully progress a bit more. i would like to be getting a respectable score at prelim and I think my son would like to be going round clear at 60cm- they are both perfectly capable, he just had his confidence knocked on previous loan pony.

With his old owner, he did all pc disciplines, SJ to about 85cm, similar height XC and was doing well at prelim dressage.

I am absolutely in love with him. We have only had him about 6 or 7 weeks now, but he is just the most amazingly kind, nice person. I really think he is one in a million. We had my friends two year old daughter come to have a sit on him last weekend. He was such a good boy and enjoyed playing lead rein pony for the day. We took them for a wander down the lane and through the river and back and he was angelic. :D

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I took my horse out hunting for our first 'proper' outing on Sunday. He usually goes in a loose ring french link snaffle even for fast work out hacking. I've only just recovered! He towed me everywhere, I had no brakes, no steering, he just took hold and was off!

Next time we're going in a pelham!

Annagain

Visit site
My share horse is just like yours. He went hunting (with his owner, even with him I'm not brave enough) in his french link and was fine. No matter where or with whom we are, he doesn't even need a pull, I just say woah and he stops! Give it a go first, you might be pleasantly surprised. Do you have anyone going with you on foot or meeting you at one of the stops? Could they take a three ring gag and an extra pair of reins just in case?

My boy (as in mine, not my share horse) is mega strong at times but he goes really well in a waterford (he hates a rigid mouthpiece) 3 ring gag with two reins for exciting stuff like fun rides or the beach. I only use the bottom one when I really need it and ride him off the snaffle ring mostly.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Op don't change your bit for your first days hunting - see how he goes on this occasion first.

However I would absolutely put a running martingale on him.

This is what I would do and if he goes in a cavesson I always put a flash strap and a attaching loop if needed in my pocket just in case .

MileAMinute

Visit site
I've hunted my laid back boy in his french link, and also tried a Waterford and a Pelham, as he has a tendency to lean if I take a hold. What works best is for me to leave him in his french link and give him his head and trust him - he slows when the others slow, stop when they stop, and I can still steer! We have a pact that if I don't pull neither will he. To slow I sit up, drop the contact and say walk - much to everyone's amazement he usually does! If they are the calm laid back type who aren't going to go anywhere I think you can get into more of a mess anticipating a fight tbh.

That's really sweet!