What bit would you next go to if dutch gag was unsuccessful?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Mine gets VERY strong out galloping in company, for example, took him to gallops with one other horse, uppder body ached for 3 days afterwards from holding him back in snaffle. Dutch gag helps a bit but not a lot to be honest, and planning on doing some hunting. His old mummy has nearly overtaken Hunt master on several occasions!
crazy.gif

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I tried a waterford with my horse - seemed to work well. she used to lean on me a lot and was impossible in a snaffle especially in gallop. I use a waterford and a flash noseband. For schooling and jumping, I use a pelham.

Oaksflight

Visit site
He doesn't put his head down, but doesn't bring it up to jump so if he refuses there's nothing there! I've thought about a pelham, he tends to go back in them apparently, however that's in showing situations and not when out hunting etc. Might have to call at the bit bank.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Have tried him with a flash, it does help a bit, but not enough, and he hates it, flings his head around. Think the different mouthpeice might be the way forwards!

Oaksflight

Visit site
He's soft as anything in the school, gets a bit stronger show jumping, gets even stronger xc, and then gets impossibly strong when out at high speeds in company. So I'd keep his plain french link snaffle for schooling. However, he has start leaning a lot on the bit, so maybe waterford would go down well. Will try that, and then pelham if that doesn't work. Just got to find them in 6" now!
crazy.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
How much am I looking at for one of those? Need to budget myself and can't borrow from anyone due to hoss having such a huge mouth! I'll look at getting one of those if waterford doesn't work.

runaway

Visit site
My dad hunts his horse in an American gag (sliding cheek pieces) and also gets on well with the Myler combination bit ( has noseband thing and longish bit shanks!) I hopped on him the other day to take him back to my dad and although he was cantering I felt I had brakes and this horse is big and powerful. He doesn't have a noseband on but is in a running martingale.

I tried my ex racer in a 3ring cherry roller gag once as he started to take hold - it was ok but he found the mouth piece too chunky.

Try this place out Bitworld

seza

Visit site
Hi
Try putting a strap on the back of the gag like a curb. This stops the bit rotating and give you loads more control. You can jump BSJA with this but I don't know about other disciplines.

crazyfrog

www.sullivangatz.com
hi,
i think that you should try a huntimg gag with a crackle noseband,this should give you plenty control and if this doesn't work try a kineton noseband with a eggbutt.one of those two should work wonders.good luck

tigers_eye

Visit site
If you try any of the ported Myler bits don't buy them then try - some horses' mouth conformation simply can't take them and they will bruise, or worse, cut the horse. A double bridle (or pelham with two reins if your horse does not have the room for two mouthpieces) would mean you could let go the curb if he ran backwards but it would be there for emergency situations.