What Body Protector and Hat do you have?

helloamys

Visit site
I think I need to update my riding hat, had it quite a while, so I thought I might aswell get a body protector aswell.

Or can you recommend me a really really really good and safe (level 3) one?
and same for hat?

Im still going to try some at a tack shop but Id like to have a browse online beforehand :)

Oh and how often do you replace your hat, Ive hat mine for 4 years but never suffered a fall, would you replace it or leave it until I fall?

Cheers :D

kiteman0

Visit site
ill be interested in the answers because i went with my wife to look at body protectors today.
thers so many we didnt know which one to buy, so we havent yet:rolleyes:

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I borrow a JW zipped body protector to jump in but not sure about levels price etc - I only jump at most twice a week so haven't invested in one yet! But it is very comfy although I can't dismount in it - I get stuck!

I have a Charles Owen Junior hat :p:D I replaced mine around 8 months ago after a fall - if your hat hasn't been in a very warm place for a while (such as in a hot car boot) or involved in a fall I don't see it needing to be replaced but I could be wrong! (I stupidly was still riding in the hat I bought to learn in - 6 years later!!!!) Good job I didn't hit my head in it after that!
K x

SillySausage

Visit site
I have a Rodney Powell back protector and love it. I zip myself into it, and although some may consider it 'bulky' - I actually like the feeling of having something holding on to me!

My hat is a Champion and I love that too :D However you need to try lots of types on as different ones suit different head shapes. You should change your hat every few years, fall or not. I (very stupidly) had the same hat between the ages of 10 and 15. When I traded it in the only reason it still fit me was because the padding had completely gone - and that is the part that protects your head!!

MochaDun

Visit site
I'm on my 2nd hat in 8 years, only got the 2nd one last year as the straps on my first one had got so stretched they wouldn't stay tightened. First hat was a Champion junior one (thelwell cartoon in the inside lining - I was 40 when I got it :D) and now have a Charles Owen young riders hat (I'm now 47 :)) and that is kitemark PAS015:1998, BSEN1384:1997.

My body protector is a Airowear Zippa 2001, Junior 2 (yes I'm a midget), conforms to EN13158:2000, Level 3.

Quite what all that means I have no idea but just know so far with about 5 minor falls in those 8 years all has been well.

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
I have an Airowear as well, and it is fab. I have one of those ventilated hats, it was about £30, and it is really comfortable. Can't remember who makes it, but I know it's on the robinsons website.

Supertrooper

Visit site
I have a harry hall hat, very comfy and also has air vents to keep my head cool!!

Going to get a back protector in the next few weeks, probably a airowear outlyne one (think that's right) as heard good reports on here xx

SuperSketch

Visit site
I have the silver Gatehouse HS1 hat and a Charles and Owen navy one with a flesh coloured strap. I use the Gatehouse one for everything apart from showing - when the navy one comes out. The HS1 is a little on the pricey side but its worth it.

I have the Rodney Powell body protector too although I think this may need replacing as its around 5 years old and has had more falls and abuse thrown at it than what I care to remember! :eek:

echodomino

Visit site
I have a RaceSafe RS2000 body protector, very flexible and comfy to wear and comes in a snazzy range of colours lol. My hat is a Champion Ventair

ETA the OH's girls have a Harry Hall and a Charles Owen - don't know off the top of my head what sort they are. And I had Charles Owen of some description from learning to ride until I had my Champion

Last edited:

tormor

Visit site
The most important things are the safety standards:- kitemark, PAS015:1998, BSEN1384:1997. I have two hats charles owen ultra lite skull cap and charles owen h2000 i think. I have an old style airowear body protector still BETA level 3 but not the nice new shaped ones.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
iv got a right collection of hats!
for shows and lessons-KEP Cromo
for hacking-GPA Titum which was my show hat until retired due to scuffs/scratches

iv also got a beagler and a top hat for regionals and champs.

ironically, i dont really wear a hat at home.preferred head wear is an ANKY fleece band.

Have to say that although expensive the KEP is very very light,lighter even than the GPA and very cool on hot days, and i love the fact that you can buy the liners seperately so if the padding gets packed in and thus hat too loose, you can just buy a new (inexpensive) liner.can also remove them to wash.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I have two BPs - a loveson which is getting small one me and a lovely airowear zippa in my xc colours
And 4 hats - a black velvet hat which is too big (tack shop fitted me wrong) so that's left up the stables as its my friends size, a champion skull which is for everyday, a champion classic (navy blue with leather harness) for dressage/sj and a champion skull for xc, occasionally sj :)

wilsha

Visit site
love my rodney powell really comfy nice shape had it cut to fit me properly can be changed into xc colours
champion ventair much comfier than any other hat ive ever had

skint1

Visit site
My daughter has a Champion VentAir skullcap and a Racesafe 2000 BP. Also has a JTE one.
She's due a new one and wants another Champion.

She says she loves the Racesafe because it moves freely with her and the Champion because it is light, airy and "all that" :-D

Cash

Visit site
I have a Champion Ventair and a Racesafe BP. I love the racesafe, it's so light and comfortable compared to my previous BPs!

helloamys

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I'm off to do some Googling :D

Grand Prix To Be
I (very stupidly) had the same hat between the ages of 10 and 15. When I traded it in the only reason it still fit me was because the padding had completely gone - and that is the part that protects your head!!
Ive had mine from about 13 to 18 and Im sure my heads grew. Im definatly getting a new as soon as possible, I just thought I was aqueezing my head in. It never occured to me that the padding was disappearing, it seems so obvious now.
And I know what you mean about feeling bulky, I think Id feel more safer :)

Kiteman0
thers so many we didnt know which one to buy, so we havent yet
I know, theres loads! I want a good idea of brands and models that I want to look at to narrow them down

KellysHeroes
if your hat hasn't been in a very warm place for a while (such as in a hot car boot) or involved in a fall I don't see it needing to be replaced but I could be wrong!
Its been in a very cold stable locker so should be good. Im might take it to a tack shop to check it cause I think my head might of grown and erroded away some padding :)

Wilsha
love my rodney powell really comfy nice shape had it cut to fit me properly can be changed into xc colours
Where did you go to get it made to fit or did you just send your measurements off?

Last edited:

redcascade

Visit site
I have a Champion Ventair hat, well have had two now replaced the first last week due to doing this:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=387736
Really did it's job, wanted a Charles Owen Ayr8 but sadly I have a round head and they are very much oval :( At least I know the Champion does it's job and fits me properly and doesn't look half bad either! I think you're supposed to replace them every three years anyway as the foam deteriorates :eek:
I have an Airowear Outlyne BP, much comfier than others I tried but I still don't wear it, I just don't get on with them, really not for me and I find them restricting and they make me feel less confident as I'm less mobile if that makes sense?

helloamys

Visit site
Redcascade

That fall looks awful! Ive recently started jumping with me 4yr old, although nothing as big, and since then Ive been looking at all my safety things and Im relucant to take him and further without being all padded up :)
Hope your feeling better now :)

I used to have a body protector with my old pony ages ago and hated wearing it, it was massive around my shoulders and I could hardly move, but this was ages ago when we only had one tack shop and wouldnt shop online so I used what was available. Im hoping I can get one that I can feels is helping but not restricting if that makes sense?

redcascade

Visit site
Am fine now thanks :) Jumped the boy today, although I was rather nervous, he just got on with it and didn't bat an eyelid thankfully :D
Better to be safe than sorry eh? I think the Racesafe is the most talked about on here but at the end of the day it's what suits you ;)

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
4 helmets! Wow!

I am BP-less at the moment, want to get a Racesafe though, and have had the same ever so slightly stinky champion hat. I think I am one of those magical people whose head is bit Charles Owen and Champion shaped! *hooray*

TinselTurkey

Visit site
I have an airowear outyline body protecter and it iis very comfy I don't even notice it is on.

and for hats I have a champion one for XC

and a PRO tector for everything else both of them are reallly comfy

Stormy123456

Visit site
I have a racesafe Body Pro, had a Jack Ellis before and utterly loathed it. It was vile, and so uncomfy, and it made me look HUGE. I love my racesafe, and wear it 100% of the time when I ride my youngster.

I have a Charles Owen Hat, 'tis good, although I think I could use an upgrade! I've had it a while.

Fern

Visit site
I have an airowear Outlyne body protector and two hats - a Charles Owen showjumper XP and a GPA Speed Air.