What breed is my loan horse?

LittleMonster

Visit site
2wcpmbn.jpg

I wouldn't say he was a new forest, but im unsure i would say a TB x but could be another finer breed

abracadabra

Visit site
You are better just asking t5he owner what breed he is, if any particular breed at all. And what height he really is.

FreshandMinty

Visit site
...the owner of the horse surely knows how it is bred?

I may be feeding the troll here but have to ask what do you mean by 16.5hh, that makes no sense.

Aabri

Visit site
you don’t say ;) ...

I didn't get what you meant. On the website it says approx 16.2. He is a very big horse he just looks very small in this picture from the way he is leaning and the angle of the camera. Who cares anyway, I asked a simple question I don't want to be criticised.

_GG_

Visit site
I didn't get what you meant. On the website it says approx 16.2. He is a very big horse he just looks very small in this picture from the way he is leaning and the angle of the camera. Who cares anyway, I asked a simple question I don't want to be criticised.

Ok, to be clear, there is no such thing as 16.5hh. Hand measurements work on inches and there are 4 inches per hand. SO there can be 16.0hh, 16.1hh, 16.2hh, 16.3hh but then it goes up to 17.0hh and so on.

The horse, even at a funny or bad camera angle doesn't look tall enough to be 17.1hh which would be the equivalent of 16.5hh. It just doesn't...a 17.1hh is a very big horse.

It looks more like a 16.2hh approx and as for breeding, I would say it's a bit of a heinz 57.

The owner should know the answers to these questions and if there is no breed info in the passport, you could, at cost, get it DNA checked, but it's a lot of money. If you like the horse and are having fun...breed is irrelevant.

Aabri

Visit site
Ok, to be clear, there is no such thing as 16.5hh. Hand measurements work on inches and there are 4 inches per hand. SO there can be 16.0hh, 16.1hh, 16.2hh, 16.3hh but then it goes up to 17.0hh and so on.

The horse, even at a funny or bad camera angle doesn't look tall enough to be 17.1hh which would be the equivalent of 16.5hh. It just doesn't...a 17.1hh is a very big horse.

It looks more like a 16.2hh approx and as for breeding, I would say it's a bit of a heinz 57.

The owner should know the answers to these questions and if there is no breed info in the passport, you could, at cost, get it DNA checked, but it's a lot of money. If you like the horse and are having fun...breed is irrelevant.

thanks so much I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining rather than just obscurely asking things that don't make sense to someone who obviously doesn't know (me) I thought it was just a normal conversion like 16.5hh = 66 inch 17hh= 68 inch
obviously not, thanks again

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
We aren't born knowing everything, so we all have to learn. :)

If the horse suits you, don't worry about the breed. Have fun with him.

Aabri

Visit site
We aren't born knowing everything, so we all have to learn. :)

If the horse suits you, don't worry about the breed. Have fun with him.

Thanks.

Yes you're right, I've had him since December and we've been having a great time so far. I'm no expert I just enjoy being around them and working with him learning new things together. I can ride I just never learned all of the theory and yard care. It's best I do this and learn before I go and buy a horse then be unable to look after it in the best possible way due to lack of experience like so many people do.

_GG_

Visit site
thanks so much I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining rather than just obscurely asking things that don't make sense to someone who obviously doesn't know (me) I thought it was just a normal conversion like 16.5hh = 66 inch 17hh= 68 inch
obviously not, thanks again

You're a new member and whilst it doesn't excuse any behaviours, the majority of the time new people come on here and post what seem like simple questions and use things like 16.5hh, it's trolls wasting peoples time, so it's easy for people to jump to that conclusion. Just so you know...not as rude as it appears, just people fed up of the same old thing if that makes sense.

Welcome to the forum though and do ask any questions you need to. On the whole, you'll be helped a lot.

Alexart

Visit site
Hate to tell you Aabri, there's no such thing as 16.5, hands are measured in 4 inch increments from 0 upwards, so after 16.3 it goes to 17, 17.1,17.2, 17.3 then 18 hands etc.etc. It looks like a cob x TB, hard to say and something you'll never know unless it's on his passport so could be a mix of all sorts of breeds. Slightly worrying the owner does not even know such a basic thing as how tall her horse is?!