What Breed would you recommend?

Joss

Visit site
Next spring I am going to looking for a puppy. My dear old dog was PTS in August and I am busy being 'sensible';) and waiting until the longer days & better weather before i venture forth into the world of puppy owning:D

So, the big question is what shall I go for? My previous dog (who had been with me for over 15 years) was a rescue, she was that well known purebred...Mutt! The obvious bit was black lab & the rest was open to debate.

I dont want to go for a rescue this time as there is a little too much uncertainty with what they will turn into too as I have 2 very small children.So, what would you recommend? My preferences are:
Good temperament (ultra important with young children)
Short coat (live on muddy dairy farm!)
No yapping ( that rules out terriers:D)
Nothing too huge or too tiny

I am currently a full time mother so am mainly at home and OH is a dairy farmer. We have acres of grassland although rather a lot of rabbits & wire fences. I fear this rules out my favourite breeds which are various sighthounds (lurchers & whippets mainly).

OH is huge Boxer fan but I am not. Not keen on Labaradors. I have in mind a Viszla and having seen Nick Skelton's one, rather like the look of a rhodesion ridgeback.

Suggestions please:):)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think you would be pretty safe getting a mongrel puppy from a rescue, as it would be you who decided what it turned out like temp wise at least! :)

echodomino

Visit site
Wire Viz, not that having been brought up with them makes me biased :p

Excellent family dogs and apparently quite a bit calmer than the smooth. If you get one with the correct coat it's not that long so wouldn't be too bad in mud, although they love wallowing lol.

Very easy to train and eager to please

Polotash

Visit site
I volunteer for GRWE which rehomes greyhounds and lurchers and we have lots in that are either surrendered from homes with small children, or are in foster with small children. A good rescue will full assess the dog AND your children and make the best match based on this. (Thinking about it my Mum's dog, my dad's dog and my dog were all given up from homes with small children and are all fantastic with them - they are a pure GSD, a whippet x and lurcher)

Ditto a rescue pup will grow into what you shape it to be too...

Faro

Visit site
Can't see why you need to rule our whippets and lurchers? Surely, if you're on a farm, it won't matter one little bit if a lurcher/whippet chases and possibly kills a rabbit or two? And if it's the wire fences you're worried about (escaping from the property is your worry I guess?) - believe me, there are plenty of longdogs who DO have recall!

noodle_

Visit site
cocker spaniel!

helpful (thieves....)

short hair (which mud loves....)

intelligent....... (food thieves )

mines lovely...first cocker ive owned and hes lovely!

will be getting another in a few year s:)

SplashofSoy

Visit site
I think you would be pretty safe getting a mongrel puppy from a rescue, as it would be you who decided what it turned out like temp wise at least! :)

Although I absolutely agree training and upbringing play the biggest part in how a dog turns out, if temprement were my main prioirty i would be looking at getting a pup from known parents and known breeding with a history of good temprements throughout.

OP cant help with suggestions as I have a terrier who can (although rarely fortunately) have his yappy moments! :D Love vizlas though and lurchers tho.

moppett

Visit site
Podenco!! I am biased but how could you not be with faces like these? ....
anjobanjowithmumrec.jpg

Hedwards

Visit site
I too wouldnt rule out sighthounds, my lurcher (a GRWE Rescue) never has a problem and now she has excellent recall... oh and my JRT isnt overly yappy (apart from when the lurcher is racing away from her...)

Best of luck whatever you decide OP

Twizzel

Visit site
cocker spaniel!

helpful (thieves....)

short hair (which mud loves....)

intelligent....... (food thieves )

mines lovely...first cocker ive owned and hes lovely!

will be getting another in a few year s:)

This! We have a Springer x Cocker and she's fab. We are on a beef farm with plenty of mud which she is not adverse to!
75663_10151817143322923_720623581_n.jpg

Great temperament, small enough to fit in the tractor, will bumble around the farm all day long, good with cattle and very trainable, an absolute fruit cake but great fun. She's a nice size, got the looks of a Springer but the size of a Cocker.

Echo24

Visit site
I was going to recommend spinone but only as I want one and don't think the long coat would suit you! But I hear they're great with kids!

I'd go with stencilface and rescue a puppy, still gives you the chance to bring up the puppy well :)

emma21

Visit site
Bracco italiano! Very short coat, love being outside, love all animals and people, quite big, handsome! Good recall and easy to train. Loves mud..
F246189B-CD9D-40DC-9ADF-1D8F37D4D994-18999-00000FF25BABC2FE.jpg
but such short hair you can wipe clean!!
And cos he's pretty...
1d5006f3.jpg

NeverSayNever

Visit site
reading your post i was thinking Vizla the whole way through!

Also, depending on how much time you have for the dog, dont rule out a smooth coated border collie. From the right lines and carefully selected you could have a cracker!

ooh, or what about a Basenji ?

Last edited:

orionstar

Visit site
I'm biased, but an English Bull Terrier isnt your normal sized terrier. Extremely loving and loyal to the family including little ones, not interested in livestock, but will find a rat in the middle of a bail of hay, and will quite happily terrorise rabbits, but not catch them ( unless it falls over one), hates getting muddy, unless you get an odd one, and will take up a knee on the setee or a duvet on the floor at your say so, and it cant reach the bench if you have a roast out of the oven, although it may try to drag the dining room chair through, if you're not watching!

POLLDARK

Visit site
Next spring I am going to looking for a puppy. My dear old dog was PTS in August and I am busy being 'sensible';) and waiting until the longer days & better weather before i venture forth into the world of puppy owning:D

So, the big question is what shall I go for? My previous dog (who had been with me for over 15 years) was a rescue, she was that well known purebred...Mutt! The obvious bit was black lab & the rest was open to debate.

I dont want to go for a rescue this time as there is a little too much uncertainty with what they will turn into too as I have 2 very small children.So, what would you recommend? My preferences are:
Good temperament (ultra important with young children)
Short coat (live on muddy dairy farm!)
No yapping ( that rules out terriers:D)
Nothing too huge or too tiny

I am currently a full time mother so am mainly at home and OH is a dairy farmer. We have acres of grassland although rather a lot of rabbits & wire fences. I fear this rules out my favourite breeds which are various sighthounds (lurchers & whippets mainly).

OH is huge Boxer fan but I am not. Not keen on Labaradors. I have in mind a Viszla and having seen Nick Skelton's one, rather like the look of a rhodesion ridgeback.

Suggestions please:):)

Suggest a Beagle.

Vicstress

Visit site
Beagle? Not somewhere that it will have free roam....it would be off for days!

Id second a cocker....mine is so good with kids, easy to train and great temp. Personally go for a working x show to avoid a lot if the health problems....

Ps love the bracco italianos.....i want one!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
How about a springer, fabulous with children and they come in various sizes just find one from small parents, mine is very small the same size as a cocker. They do love getting dirty but their coats seem to wash off very easily. Love them!

Joss

Visit site
Brilliant- thank you so much for all your replies. Loving some of the more unusual breeds - the Podencos (are they Ibizian hounds??) are absolutely gorgeous as is the Bracco Italiano, actually ticks alot of the boxes.

Cockers are lovely, my only slight concern would be the length of coat. Glad some of you are positive re: Viszla's:)

Vicstress

Visit site
Brilliant- thank you so much for all your replies. Loving some of the more unusual breeds - the Podencos (are they Ibizian hounds??) are absolutely gorgeous as is the Bracco Italiano, actually ticks alot of the boxes.

Cockers are lovely, my only slight concern would be the length of coat. Glad some of you are positive re: Viszla's:)

Pah, shave it off....that's what I do to my cocker! :eek::D