What breed.....

Parkranger

Visit site
was black beauty in the latest version....I thought he was supposed to be TB but his mum didn't look TB....

Had a good ol cry watching it on sunday night!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Really? Should have spotted that!

I mean the one with sean bean - think it's the latest one.....think it was filmed here so prob not a QH? He was quite small though so maybe....

moodymare1987

Visit site
Not sure ive got the video, but not sure which one as my friend has borrowed it so not a clue, will have a check on the net for you see if i can find anything xx

S_N

Visit site
It's several horses. Yeah, he's supposed to be a TB/hunter type in the book, mum in the film looked like a solid cob. The main horse was a QH - the one that did all the tricks for sure was.

Parkranger

Visit site
Yeah I was laughing at the film on sunday when he starts leaping around - mmmmm, defo had TB in him - I was like 'Ty can do that'....oooops

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Do you mean the Warner Brothers one? You are both right (there was more than one horse used to play Black Beauty!!!). Some were Andulusian, a coulple of Quarter Horse Stallions (trained stunt horses brought over from America) and the Old Black Beauty was a bay TB Gelding(amazing what you can do with hair dye).
wink.gif
Don't know what the breeding of the young colt was. The foal was covered in KY to make it look like it had just been born and stars were stuck on all bar one horse (which had it's own). White socks were also painted on. The scars on the knees were latex. There were also three Gingers (two of whom were geldings) and two Merry Legs (one mare & one gelding).

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Yep it was a great grooms job I had!!!! My legs can be seen in the film when Old BB is at the sales and his head is nearly on the floor (I had to stand beside him, coz I knew where to scratch his ears to get his head to drop to the floor!!!). When he lifts his head I'm stood behind the Actor calling his name to get him to lift his head again!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Don't know, heard he was borrowed/brought off the back of a knacker wagon.
frown.gif
He actually put weight on prior to filming. Sadly he was diagnosed with 'Wobblers' and had to be PTS (on humane grounds), but atleast the last months of his life he was treated like a king.

S_N

Visit site
When I was a student at college, there was a girl there who worked on on the film, or maybe it was her boss who worked on the film........ hmmmmmmmm memory is failing
blush.gif
Anyways, she kept going on about a horse called Black Adder that was one of the Black Beauty's - ring any bells? Or are you called Amber?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

SSM

Visit site
You actually mentioned CB's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are coming over from the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one comment for you 'Happy happy Joy joy'
grin.gif
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
AH ha - so I'm not completely loosing it then - that is good news
grin.gif
It must have been her boss then, he trained stunt horses or something - think he was based on the Welsh borders, could be wrong though, was a looooong time ago.

Parkranger

Visit site
You know what, I've ALWAYS had a soft spot for CB's - my mum would sell her kids to be able to buy one!

I think my next horse may be a CB/TB - need a bit of stability! xx

PS Mangobiscuits horse is nicknamed Ren (think bossy, loveable but not as clever as he likes to think) and Ty is the big red fool.....bless!

polaris

Visit site
Gerard Naprous provided a lot of the horses for the sean bean remake. Ginger was indeed a gelding called Gidrat in real life. BB was played by an Andalucian amongst others. I used to work part time for Gerard Naprous.

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
you'd be amazed what they can do with a camera! We have a white Welsh x mare (looks very much welsh) who's just done a film as a TB Stallion!!! I know of gerard too, a truely amazing horseman