What budget needed for a horse competing at Elem/Med dressage?

horsemad32

Visit site
Asking for a friend who's looking for her own again after years of sharing due to not having the time with small kids. She's not bothered about breed, height (within reason for a small adult), minor issues like sweet-itch (so anything controllable that doesn't affect performance she's happy to manage). Only thing is it must have at least competed at Elementary and be working at Medium, be safe, sane and 100% in all ways as her kids will be around it. She was wondering how much she'd need to have in her budget...

Tempi

Visit site
Does it need to have changes and the scope to go further? Or just a safe solid ele/medium horse?

For the latter around 4-6k depending on age. If the former, sky is the limit really!!

measles

Visit site
onemoretime on here has a 16/16.1 11yo well bred bay mare for sale who matches that description and she is only looking for oiro £4,500 as she has had her since a 2yo and a good home is her top priority. She was 3rd in both her Elem tests last time out I think.

IMO that is exceptionally good value and your friend would be looking to spend considerably more.

Polotash

Visit site
Depends on age.. my boy is 17 now and is a solid performer at medium but won't go higher due to lack of changes. He cost a LOT as an 8 year old when he was imported, but would be worth about 7-8k now I would guess. He is safe and solid in all respects, and I would advise her to go the schoolmaster route if she wants a nice family horse she doesn't have to be lunging every night to keep the lid on it ;0)

There are lots of reasonably priced horses on BD classifieds atm, well worth browsing.