What can I do better? (showing)

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I have shown my friend's pony in hand a couple of times, and I'm doing another show on the 30th. Last time we didn't come anywhere (although I still got a 'special' rosette :D) so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how we both look or how we could improve. He's a 5yo welsh section B and I've entered him in Bonny Pony and Young Handler. Thanks! :)
meandalfportroyal.jpg

Luci07

Visit site
I don't know BUT would maybe google pictures of say HOYS or something similiar to see how the winning ponies were turned out. Also, always as the judge how you can improve your mark. I did that when I briefly tried my hand at working hunter. However, you can't seriously do working hunter if you wish to event said horse as well!

ItsJem

Visit site
Firstly, lovely pony. How big? In terms of your turnout, I would encourage you to wear a green tweed if you want a jacket... Just more traditional, and perhaps a flat cap/trilby. As a young handler then a riding hat is acceptable but navy looks more correct. You could even think about a long sleeve shirt and a nice waistcoat? Jods are perfectly acceptable as a young handler but once you get older, I prefer trousers.

I think the pony looks great. Could work on getting his tail a little lighter? I would also encourage you to ask the owner to invest in a proper inhand bridle, preferably brown. With a nice brass coupling chain and a rubber inhand bit with brass rings. Pulling the mane slightly would also look good. Anyway, good luck, I think you both look really smart :).

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Thanks for the replies! He is 12.2, or around there anyway. I did originally look for green tweed as I also think it would look nicer, but they are so expensive! I got mine cheap secondhand, but they didn't have any green ones in my size. Will have a look around for some in hand bridles thanks :) Does anyone have any tips on how to get his tail whiter? I use touch of silver shampoo at the moment and huge quantities of talcum/ chalk powder but it is still yellow :(

ItsJem

Visit site
Yes you're right, tweeds are not cheap new! Look out for a waistcoat then. I got mine for £20 second hand and it's lovely! Woolen front and satin back in burgundy! I wear it with a white shirt and burgundy tie when I show my liver chestnut Section B.

I have heard lots of people suggest daz for tails! Give it a try. Other techniques are a week or so before the show, smother the tail in baby oil after washing. Day before the show (tail will look disgusting as dirt will cling to the oil), wash the tail again, washing the oil off, using a brightening shampoo (or your silver shampoo). Then while rinsed and damp spray show shine or, if on a budget, furniture polish! Brush it through and leave to dry. Then on show day a final spritz of your show shine and you should be ready to go :)!

Mynyddcymro

Visit site
Teach the pony to stand up, always be aware of him resting a hind leg, it doesn't look great in the ring. You can teach him to stand or stop resting his hind leg by pressing gently in his chest to back up, they tend to pick it up quickly and it makes all the difference :) he looks a lovely boy!

Capriole

Visit site
Id get rid of the white shirt and replace it with a blue or yellow one, and trousers instead of the jods. Hair in a hairnet and a navy hat would be nicer, but I know its an outlay. Your tie is a bit boring. A trilby might be nice. What colour is your jacket I cant quite make it out, but brown or green are both very acceptable.

Id show him in a riding bridle not an inhand bridle still. Neaten his mane up so its level.

Capriole

Visit site
I dont think they are very flattering for a lot of horses, and a smart bridle flatters the head better. For a youngster they can look ok but on a 5 year old who Id expect to be under saddle Id show in a riding bridle.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Okay, thanks! I can see I need to start saving :D Does anyone know anywhere I can get a cheapish yellow shirt from (I usually go to ride away as my local tack shop and they are not cheap at all!). Should I pull his mane or just neaten it up with scissors? I have a new hat with a flesh coloured strap which looks much better, and newer, then the one in the picture which will hopefully make me look better! My tweed is a sort of grey-y, browny colour, I don't like it very much but I can't find anything else really :/ Thanks again for all the advice!

Capriole

Visit site
You can wash your shirt with some cheap yellow dusters, and the colour will come out of them and dye your shirt. Mucho cheapo :D

Visit site
Your under 16 yes? Then you must wear a kite marked hard hat with the straps done up. No flat caps, trilbys or the likes. Pull the mane slightly, never use scissors. Pop a single plait- left straight down - just behind the ponies ear. If you give me 2 mins I shall try and find the prepared idiots guide to Young Handler classes.

Visit site
It's all about confidence. If you walk into the ring thinking that your the best you then relax a bit and enjoy yourself more. Make sure you have the pony walking out - not stretched and reaching to stride with you but not slow. Same with trotting, find your ponies perfect trot speed so that they aren't dawdling or running. When you go for your trot round the edge walk a stride or two first then trot off. I always stand my pony up square when waiting to trot round the outside, and when stood up for the judge I stand in front of my pony and make a good point of checking all legs are in position - hopefully with minimal fiddling. Never ask them to step back if more than one foot needs moving, always bring them forwards a step. When in front of the pony step to the side when the judge wants to look at the head on view of the legs. When the judge is looking at the side on view pick some grass or some of the school up and sprinkle it down in front of your pony to try and get it to prick its ears and look alert - if your pony couldn't care less about what you are doing then at least you are doing something rather than nothing! Walk and trot in as straight a line as possible and when turning at the end of the walk away go out and come round in a small circle rather than turn on the spot and walk for a stride or two before trotting as a horse trotting off a bend will stand more chance of giving the appearance of being lame. Pay attention to everything that is going on the the class and make sure your pony is perked up and attentive when the judge goes for a final look down the line.

Most importantly - Smile and have fun!

The wife

Visit site
I dont think they are very flattering for a lot of horses, and a smart bridle flatters the head better. For a youngster they can look ok but on a 5 year old who Id expect to be under saddle Id show in a riding bridle.

Completely agree! I hate in-hand bridles with a passion, they just never quite 'sit right' especially with the nose bands and the brassy things make me cringe! A nice neat, flat, riding bridle compliments a head so much more, especially on an older native ponies and SH ponies.

Again, agree with washing of shirts/dying them. Buy an in the sale supermarket school shirt and dye it yellow! Kit doesn't have to be expensive for showing and looking professional.

Jericho

Visit site
You can wash your shirt with some cheap yellow dusters, and the colour will come out of them and dye your shirt. Mucho cheapo :D

Haha was just about to write that and you beat me to it - it's a good tip and works well!

He is a very sweet pony and looks lovely and I think your turnout is nice. I always tell my little girl to smile LOTS. I would also tidy/thin his mane a little and get those white bits white! I use the oxywhite crystals on my mares grey tail - soak in warm water for 2 mins and wash out. I also find it needs washing regularly to stop it discolouring.

Clean noses, eyes and docks are a must!

And remember sometimes showing is just very subjective especially when it comes to classes like the bonniest pony!

ItsJem

Visit site
I was always told that Section B's should not have the single plait to accentuate the jawline. But agree with everything else! Might have to give the shirt trick a go myself!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I must remember to smile, it's something I'm really, really bad at, especially when I'm concentrating! I went to go and see him tonight and found what looks like a rash/ allergy on his nose! It's bright pink with sort of speckly bits all over it, it's quite hard to explain but I think if it doesn't go by Sunday it might ruin our chances :( Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I will try the whitening stuff on his tail and hopefully it won't be as yellow :D