What can i do? Reaction to vaccs?

doodle

Visit site
Robin reacts to his vaccinations. Last time had a week of poorly horse who couldnt get his head down to eat or drink. Since he does pc at a racecourse he needs 6 months vaccs which is very soon. Would it be worth preempting the reaction by giving him bute a couple of days before and then after rather than waiting for the reaction then giving bute?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I always had my old boy done in the chest muscle, never had a bad reaction and he didn’t even feel it, he would try and squash any vet who put it in his neck after his microchip jab, vet was a bit rough then it got infected :(

conniegirl

Visit site
Let your vet know and ask if they have a different brand. It is normally the base they are reacting to not the vaccine itself, different brands have different bases.
I also used to get mine jabbed in the bum rather than the neck

be positive

Visit site
Racing is now on 8 months, not 6, so do check you need to do it so often and as already suggested jab in bum or chest for less risk of a reaction causing so much trouble.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
When mine reacted badly I told the vet and he changed the brand and said it’s the carrier that they can react to...not had a problem since.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
After years of not reacting to vacs three years ago both of mine started reacting. They now get jabbed in the chest and the morning of vacs they have bute as per vets advice and then bute for a couple of days after if any reaction. Shetland has had no big reaction since we started doing this and although cob has some reaction it's much less than before.

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
Thanks all. Have checked and the pc os saying 6months. He also reacts if done in the chest. I will speak to vet.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The one here that reacts now always gets it in the chest and gets a couple of days of bute and then is fine.

shortenmyreins

New User
Visit site
Depending on what vaccines are needed, you could do one vaccine at a time and space them out. The downside is that if the horse reacts to each one it's a longer time off. Plus it wouldn't be as cost effective. The good thing about doing it this way is that you might be able to narrow down which vaccine they are reacting to. (This is assuming you are vaccinating for more than one thing.)
I get my sensitive horse done with a nasal flu/rhino. She still gets other things as a single injection into her chest, but it doesn't seem to be as bad a reaction. Also exercising them right after the jab is supposed to help - gets it moving through the muscle faster.