What can I feed his minerals in?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
All winter I fed my pony pro hoof in molasses free chop with no problems. He was stabled with just a short daily turnout.
He is now out at night and comes in for the day, with a haynet that he eats very little of. He is the correct weight, is barefoot and being hacked around 30 miles a week. His feet are great :D
Since being out more he no longer wants to eat his chop and minerals. I tried a few types and I have also tried using fast fibre. He is obviously not particularly hungry so doesn't eat it. He won't eat it without the minerals in either, I tried it in case it was that. He quite happily will eat all the carrots I have, but that's no good for mixing minerals in.
What can I give him that will be tasty enough for him to eat, that I can mix his minerals in and is barefoot friendly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The only thing I can get my minis to eat it in is Saracen Re-leve. It swells tons in water so you don't need much of it. They have 75g in 250 ml of water. They will also, but much more reluctantly, eat it in soaked grass nuts if they are hungry enough.

JillA

Visit site
A small amount of bran. Yes it is cereal/starch but if you give a double handful and damp it, it will only be a miniscule % of his diet, and it is very palatable

Nudibranch

Visit site
I've never had a horse eat FF to be fair. I've also given up buying bf friendly type feeds as the amount I feed to add their minerals is so miniscule it makes zero difference. So I just use dampened regular nuts with micro linseed. I'm talking about maybe 2 handfuls per day which is nothing, and it's had no impact on their feet.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks :) I'll have a try with some of those and see how we get on. He's only a youngster and this is his first summer of proper work and I am still seeing what his feet are capable of and don't want to lose what we currently have. His feet are like iron with this dry weather, did a 10 mile ride yesterday including about 4 miles on broken stone forestry roads and he was foot perfect and when I checked him on getting home you couldn't tell he'd been on a ride.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Agrobs made a big difference to us, I use soaked hay cobs currently (used to use chaff but teeth problematic ;) )

SEL

Visit site
grass nuts soaked are good for hiding stuff in and you don't need many (& they're cheap). I use kwik beet all year round in varying quantities so can soak that up in 10 mins if needed.

Agrobs is fab. My two think its Christmas if they get any of that.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agrobs is fab. My two think its Christmas if they get any of that.
The drama diva fussy Cushing's mare has her meds and Foarageplus minerals mixed in damp Agrobs Aspero chaff. She's not gone off her feed this time even after her Prascend dose was increased, which is a first.

The two dustbins are on the much cheaper plain Honeychop chopped oat straw (don't tell them, anyone ;) ).