what can i yard do about a client doing a runner.....

show_jumper

Visit site
a friend of mine has just had a client do a runner from her yard (well more of a walk i guess!!)
she came in and announced she would be leaving after just a couple of months of being there - as she didnt like the hacking in the area (crazy- but fair enough - each to their own...)...then announced that she wouldnt be paying her months notice - and would be leaving that day and had already arranged transport......
obviously - my friend was SHOCKED...and stupidly (without thinking) gave her the horses passport.....
the problem is - that they didnt have a written agreement as their printer had packed up....but had a verbal agreement - and had a witness present....
any way - client has left - still no months notice paid... is there a case? i wasn't sure as it was a verbal agreement - athough there is a witness......
any info would be great......
thanks

annaellie

Visit site
I would advise for her to contact an equine solicitor for some advice to see if she has a case and if it will be worthwhile her pursuing it.

Eira

Visit site
Slightly different but we had someone leave with over £2,000 worth of debt in March and have still not recovered a penny ...

Full contract in place and the horse was under lock and key and they stable door was smashed up ...

Its a long process , this case has yet to go to court
frown.gif

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to chase up the money , its really not worth it , sadly

BigRed

Visit site
The horse is not owned by the yard manager, so she can't try locking it in, or withholding the passport or any of the other belongings.

I guess she will have learnt a painful lesson to get things put in writing in future.

I have never kept a horse at a livery yard - don't they ask for a month in advance then ? like you do when you rent a house ?

show_jumper

Visit site
i didnt think there would be a chance - but ill pass the message on RE: equine solicitor incase they want to try their luck....
i personally, find it disgusting how many people have such a total lack of regard or compassion for the people who run their yards and look after their horses (obviously a lot of clients are very nice and grateful - i have a couple of angels in my yard thank god!!) - its times like these i hope karma exists!!.....

show_jumper

Visit site
re: tracey01 yeah - thats whats crazy - its like the unspoken rule of yards - 1 months notice and a little common courtesy - its not rocket science now is it!!!! oh well - as they always say - you live you learn!

eoe

Visit site
This is why on my yard I always insist on a months livery up front as deposit, so when they arrive they pay two months livery and if they give one months notice and leave their field, stable etc tidy they get their money back if they don't give notice or leave damage behind they don't get the deposit back.

Tia

Visit site
Nope she doesn't have a case. Tell her to forget even thinking that she will get any money out of this livery because it just isn't going to happen.

a1b2c3

Visit site
Sorry to say, your friend is going to have to write the money off as a bad loss.

However, if it was me i would spread the word.

If your friend has a good reputation within the area, the ex-livery will be very badly thought of, and may find it difficult to be able to move on again.

rema

Visit site
Not a chance of recovering the money i would say.Your friend should be thankfull the nightmare livery has gone if thats what she was like.A lesson learnt.Keep the passport or ask for a months livery as deposit.Sadly you cannot trust anybody these days.
frown.gif

kerilli

Visit site
at least she didn't leave owing money for livery so far. i'd write it off and mention her name to other local livery yards, to warn them off.
i had someone try to do this to me a long time ago, owing a month's full livery for 4 horses. they took the first 2 before i realised what was going on (hadn't said a word about leaving!), and i ended up having to block my driveway so they couldn't take the trailer with the next 2, until they went and got the cash. lesson learnt in my case.

Boltonrider

Visit site
Ummm......

What can I say besides.....

Assuming the YO knows of the person's home or business address....
Step 1...the YO needs to invoice the person for the outstanding amount of money, on that invoice they need to state clearly what the monies are owed for, the full amount, any further costs incurred, and if the YO is feeling in the mood, they can also invoice for a further amount incurred as loss of earnings / income for the period during the months notice!!!

Send invoice (s) by Royal Mail and keep a proof of posting, in seven days when you have heard nothing send a second copy marked as such... in another 7 days, send a further invoice marked as third and final... stating how long the amount has been outstanding, also add on to this invoice a "Late payment charge" this CANNOT exceed £40, send this via RM and send a signed for copy by RM tracked or special delivery in a PLAIN envelope bearing no markings to warn who it comes from (A jiffy bag normally works wonders to get a signature).
Finally contact one of the debt collection companies...I'd recommend "Direct Route"..... YO WILL get there money from the collection company....they will then chase debtor until resolved with no more worries to the YO!!

YOU can chase monies owed in this business.... and it does pay to do so.... I speak from experience...and I have used the company on a number of occassions....not once have I been let down !

(For the doubters....a written and signed contract is not required...if you have one, the whole process becomes far quicker)

Scribbles

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that a "verbal agreement" is known in law as not being worth the paper it's written on - as in, none!

Unless there's a contract signed and sealed, it's just not possible.

(By the way, I love the horse in your sig BoltonRider - so cute!!)

Boltonrider

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that a "verbal agreement" is known in law as not being worth the paper it's written on - as in, none!

Unless there's a contract signed and sealed, it's just not possible.

(By the way, I love the horse in your sig BoltonRider - so cute!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww...thanks....guess he takes after me!!
grin.gif

As for contracts.... if YO can show monies have been recieved for previous payments on a regular basis.... one would assume they are keeping records??.... that is a substantial basis on which you can show a contract was in place....
In english law.... recurring payments on a regular schedule can be viewed as a contract!

BBH

Visit site
Sorry its seams to me you will have to out this down to experience. The woman sounds pretty brazen to even announce her intentions most people would sneak out quietly.
frown.gif