What classes would my horse be eligible for?

Babybella

Visit site
I have only been riding for a year and have recently bought a fine cob mare. She doesn't have much feather and has a pulled mane so wouldn't be suitable for cob classes, and I am definitely not going to hog her. She's passported as full cob, but many people think she may be crossed, possibly Irish Draft as is quite "leggy" and not a usual chunky cob.
I was wondering what classes we could enter over summer? Were both new to this so will only be little local shows for a bit of fun.
Thank you in advance!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a Welsh Cob X Arab, and at local shows we entered just about everything! We did ridden and working hunter mainly; the first is without jumping the second with. He was a versatile old thing and also did dressage and showjumping, hunter trials and hunting, and finally drew the line when I was persuaded to try an open team chase!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
A picture would be good. You can do cob classes at local level plaited so don't rule it out totally. There are lots of classes you can do otherwise, Best Combination, Riding club horse (usually have to jump a small jump) etc. Have a good look at the schedules and see what you fancy. That is just the showing there is obviously dressage, variety of sizes SJing and XC

be positive

Visit site
Cob is a type not a breed as such there are many different types of cob from the welsh cobs to very heavy horses they are all, other than the welsh, cross breeds , yours sounds as if she is on the light side so could be versatile and do classes such as riding club horse, maybe working hunter if she jumps, there are usually some classes that will suit in most local shows you just need to look at the schedules and see what is on offer. Local ridden, novice ridden cover all types, small or open hunter depending on her height, there will be plenty for you to do it is just a case of getting out and seeing what you do well at, enjoy doing and having fun.

Babybella

Visit site
shes quite a big mare, 16hh. heres a picture which shows shes not much of a chunky monkey...

1393598_10152065781762640_1781969958_n.jpg

1601372_10152187604997640_1964607329_n.jpg

shes a piebald too so coloured would be a possibly. shes only a baby - 5, so will only be little shows this year to get her used to everything.

Last edited:

mrogers

Visit site
picture would definitely help. This is my filly inhand last year, stands at 15hh with just under 9 inches of bone with good amount of feather. She shows in cob type classes and coloureds, sometimes even driving type at smaller shows

This is a gelding I had to show last year, 14hh with less bone and only a smidgen of feather. Again he done coloureds, cobs, workers,part breds and equitation

Both fall under a "native" type of coloured cob so they don't need to have loads of bone and feather or be hogged to do well

ETS from your pic, I would say shes more hunter type than cob