What classes

Miss L Toe

Visit site
OK,
I have a 15.00 bay gelding, Trotter x Andalusion, I have had him whizz round unaffiliated pony jumping nights, biggest jump was 1.00, most were 06.m
He can do walk trot and canter, [only just started the outline business], never tried a gallop in an arena!!!
He has an overgrown thick black mane and trimmed tail [not pulled], I don't want to trim mane but could braid it or plait it, or leave it loose [looks good only when he is moving]
I watched a Blair Hunter qualifier yesterday, the jumps [1.00m] were too big for him at the moment.
Where to start [assume I know nothing, and you will be close!]

He has a french link [lozenge] hanging cheek fillet baucher.
I have a brown leather saddle and a brown racing bridle with a cavesson noseband and continental reins.

http://www.ayrridingclub.com/uzpanel/files/5c2ea58b3a368f08bb2ec7f9245d9c89.pdf

What is the difference between small hunter and small riding horse? To my mind he is more a working type than a "pretty pretty"

Novice horse, he will not stand out from the crowd, I don't think he is really a showing horse, more an allrounder.

Class 19 PERFORMANCE HORSE OR PONY .......... looks suitable jumps 50 to 55 cm
Class 20 PERFORMANCE HORSE OR PONY.......... jumps 60 to 65, he should manage this.
He is too small for working hunter 153cm
I can enter on the day, and am looking for a rider if anyone is going, pm me.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
picture.php

He is a bit fitter and darker at the moment.

JenniferB

Visit site
I'm no expert on showing I'm afraid, but if you're going to do ridden hunter classes you'll need a plaited mane. I'm not sure on whether a hanging cheek bit would be acceptable or not but sure someone on here will be able to clarify that point. Have you been to any Ayr RC shows before? It's a lovely venue for this one! I think I'm showjumping at Rowallan Sunday or else I might have been able to help you out with the riding but sure you'll get someone more proficient at the looking pretty on board thing than me anyway - showing was never my strong point and actually I'd be a bit tall for him...

ETA he looks bigger than 15hh in the pictures lol! There are some people on here who are REALLY good at showing, hopefully one of them will come in to this and offer you some good advice.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
He is more Hunter than Riding horse, there is a Riding Club Horse that would be suitable if the rider is a RC member.

The performance classes look a good idea and maybe the small hunter if you want an early start:)
Its a shame there are no Working Hunter Pony classes as at 15 hands he will be small in the horse classes although the novice could be worth doing for experience.

Pick one or two classes and try to prepare him really well, although showing may not be hard work as such the classes can go on a long while and end up clashing with you rushing around trying to get in everything or the horse gets tired or bored then performance drops.

He would need to be plaited, ideally trimmed as well, legs, jaw, ears etc.
The hanging cheek will be fine as will a plain bridle.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
He is more Hunter than Riding horse, there is a Riding Club Horse that would be suitable if the rider is a RC member.

The performance classes look a good idea and maybe the small hunter if you want an early start:)
Its a shame there are no Working Hunter Pony classes as at 15 hands he will be small in the horse classes although the novice could be worth doing for experience.

Pick one or two classes and try to prepare him really well, although showing may not be hard work as such the classes can go on a long while and end up clashing with you rushing around trying to get in everything or the horse gets tired or bored then performance drops.

He would need to be plaited, ideally trimmed as well, legs, jaw, ears etc.
The hanging cheek will be fine as will a plain bridle.
Yes thanks very much, is the hanging cheek legal for dressage show as well, he could do intro and prelim, I am not worried about winning, just experience and getting a few action shots as he is on the market :(
There is only an M&M working hunter pony, this is one of the problems with him, he fits in to so few categories.
Due to timings, he would have to do the first small hunter show at 9.30 [I do not think there will be many in it, but they take forever to do these things!
But the performance horse start at 10.00, there are two classes so might get in to the second, but jumps are higher. I think I would just do two performance classes,
and RC horse thanks, missed that one!

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
Yes it ok for dressage too.

Its a good idea to get out, plenty of photos and some video if you can, it all helps when selling, he should make someone a useful allrounder, he may not fit in many categories but he can have a go at most things and thats all the average buyer wants really, they just dont always know it. ;)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
:D yes, I know, and trying to persuade them that they need lessons AFTER buying him has been one big hurdle [after all they were economising!]
He is well behaved just now, but a novice rider would be inclined to let him off with things, he needs to be kept on the straight and narrow.
One came, rode, went back and discussed it with her [Equus Instructor], the horse was perfectly behaved even though she was a bit wobbly, what do you do, in the ad and on the phone, I said he needed an experienced rider, she was not very experienced, but with support would have been fine.

be positive

Visit site
Its a vicious circle with some people, the novice rider with common sense and good back up can be a better bet than the "experienced" know it all that waits until it has all gone pear shaped before they realise help is required and that they do not have as much knowledge as they thought.

I think in ads you need to word it carefully instead of labelling the riders describe the horse, needs active home or competitive home to bring him on further are two I have used, then you interview them when they phone to avoid wasting time showing to novices that think they are experts. A few key questions can weed them out usually.

Your boy I would put something like, "he has been brought on slowly and going sweetly, ready now to start doing more, must go to home capable of continuing with the education of this super fun boy."
Can you tell I spend too much time writing and reading ads.:)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Yes I though I had done that, and as for telephone vetting, well the last girl told me quite sincerely she had ridden TB and a WB, in addition to RS types, then when she came she told me she was nervous because both the above horses had dumped her!
she was too nervous to canter, though she did pop a cross pole [but actually the horse did it for her!]
Previous lot told me [mother and daughter] that her daughter was getting lessons from an instructor as she would not listen to her mother ............. daughter had had three lessons, mother four!!!![my assessment]! Neither could mount unaided or canter. Oh, needs flatwork?, no need to worry, neither of them jump!!!! :)
I will however put in "must go etc." that is exactly what I have tried to explainn.

Last edited: