what colour are your cushings horses?

what colour is your cushings horse/s?

• Total voters

LeneHorse

Visit site
I wonder if there is any link between coat colour and cushings? If anyone knows of any research on this I would be interested in links.
Out of interest, if you own, or are acquainted with, any cushings horses/ponies could you say what colour they are. (I was trying to create a poll but don't think it worked)

Sandstone1

Visit site
My vet recently told me that Grey's are more likely to get cushings. I don't know if that's true but she seemed to think research had been done on it. No idea where to find it.

rascal

Visit site
Jimmy as an appaloosa cross, he was skewbald as a foal and yearling and ended up with a few spots.

Simba is a chestnut shetland.

Misty was a grey welsh sec b.

Visit site
My vet recently told me that Grey's are more likely to get cushings. I don't know if that's true but she seemed to think research had been done on it. No idea where to find it.

Figures, really; greys are more prone to melanomas (cancers) and PPID is a tumour in the pituitary glad isn't it?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The Draft mare was bright bay, the Appaloosa a chestnut with spotted skin and varnish marks. The Shire who I now suspect had Cushings, aged 6, was also bright bay. The cob who had a tumour somewhere which caused her to become ataxic (may or may not have been undiagnosed Cushings) was black and white.

LeneHorse

Visit site

interesting. My thoughts were that greys might be more prone to it so it would be fascinating if there was evidence to back this up.

Cecile

Visit site
I'm sure I am doing something wrong, I seem to have voted only 1 grey but wanted to vote
2 Grey's + 1 bay (Only 1 grey was voted)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
The problem is, bay is by far the most common colour so it will score high. As a proportion of cushings horses it may not be that high. My cushings horse was bay.

JJS

Visit site
Mine is a grey, but seeing as it seems to be particularly common amongst little, long-lived pony breeds, many of them with grey quite predominant in the gene pool, that's not really surprising. I've also known blacks, bays, chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and coloureds with the condition, so think it's unlikely to be tied to colour.