What colour is my pony?

Lacuna

Visit site
My BC pony Captain has been with me for 5 years now and I'm still not sure what colour he technically is. I usually just say black. ..

His passport says blue Roan. But I thought you cannot have roans with big white markings. Any coat experts out there able to make any educated guesses? His coat is very flecked with white hairs all over if it's not clear from the photo

Leo Walker

Visit site
No photo has appeared. He sounds similar to my mare. Shes genetically black, with a sabino esqe gene that causes the high white legs and speckles. Roans have darker faces and legs. She looks very grey in the photo as shes fully clipped. Not clipped shes much blacker.

92701504_10157448557678667_3216181423752871936_o.jpg

Cloball

Visit site
You can have roans with white markings. I think the confusion comes with classic roan being a kit mutations. Some white pattern genes occupy the same locus so you can't be homozygous for either kit white spotting gene or classic roan if you visually have both. Sorry that doesn't sound very clear. Picture would be helpful as often "roaning" is called roan but it isn't because of the roan gene it is due to a white spotting pattern or Lp.

Lacuna

Visit site
Oh that's a pain. In trying to do it fro.my phone and the photo wont upload. I'll try it from my laptop

Thanks for the photo Leo, he is quite similar to your girl. White face, theee white legs and a big belly splash too.

TPO

Visit site
Oh that's a pain. In trying to do it fro.my phone and the photo wont upload. I'll try it from my laptop

Thanks for the photo Leo, he is quite similar to your girl. White face, theee white legs and a big belly splash too.

Try taking a screenshot of your photo and uploading that