What colour tack for a Chestnut?

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I've just bought a Chestnut, my first ever Chestnut. I've got quite a bit of saddler and tack knocking about the yard, but haven't had him under saddle since I tried him.

I just wonder what people think is best Black or Brown, I didn't really pay attention when I tried him, I've got both colour bridles and a Black dressage Saddle, but Brown Jump saddle - What do people think looks best?

Abacus

Visit site
Mine has black for dressage and brown for jumping/xc but really only because most dressage saddles seem to be black. I would probably prefer brown.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I prefer brown on a chestnut, however I wouldn't get rid of a well-fitting saddle just for the colour. I've even had mis-matching tack for a while when my old horse changed shape. Luckily I wasn't competing at the time...

vam

Visit site
Black

383506_575271885837260_720570709_n.jpg

293918_248183221879463_4880613_n.jpg

Brown
10522463_796760673688379_5264038241755241675_n.jpg

Not much difference depending on the brown. I had a brown saddle in the end with a black bridle, didn't bother me as both where good quality and fitted.
I did sell my black bridle as current horse is bay and looks better in brown.

teddypops

Visit site
My chestnut doesn't look nice in black but any shade of brown is fine. I currently have Australian nut coloured tack which looks smart but fit is more important than the colour!

Frumpoon

Visit site
My chestnut doesn't look nice in black but any shade of brown is fine. I currently have Australian nut coloured tack which looks smart but fit is more important than the colour!

Oooh I do like that tan colour but I suppose brown is correct so would be what I go with

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine is a native so carries off Havana with some style. Unfortunately fit is more important than colour so we've got a Havana bridle and a black saddle. When I get next year's bonus we might look into getting a saddle made for him.

GIF2mln.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Stuff tradition, I prefer black tack as it appeals to me aesthetically. :p Brown comes in so many different shades that hardly ever match, whereas black from different makes is always going to match. That said I have a mix of various shades of brown (including a stubben 'havana' martingale that matches nothing else that I own) and some black because, as others have said, buying what fits is more important than matching.

Hannahgb

Visit site
See I prefer brown. But my chestnut has outgrown her brown dressage saddle and I'm having a nightmare selling it. So this time I've gone for black as seems more popular if I have to sell it on

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the thoughts - Vam & ZZClaire thanks for the pics, they look fabulous!

I need to see what he looks like, my gut was saying Brown for Jumping, Black for Dressage. Obviously fit is the key in the short term, I can always swap out things as I get the opportunity.

Any thoughts on boots, I've got a brand new set of Veredus Tendon Boots in Brown, they're quite a dark I haven't had the chance to try them on him?

FDLady

Visit site
Black is my preference - for a lighter chestnut brown seems to blend into them too much unless you can find a nice dark havana. I wouldnt change my tack for a colour choice though, what fits correctly wins for me to be honest; though to be fair i couldnt have a non-matching bridle and boots... it would eat away at me. It would have to match the saddle.

xx8noKV.jpg

Id save your new boots for jumping and then get a nice new set for your dressage saddle if you need them