WHAT COULD IT BE?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Noticed today while my boy was eating that the two 'holes' above his eyes (you know the ones) well on one side they were moving in and out as normal.. on the other side it was moving out really large.. almost like a big bubble
As it happens i noticed a bump on the same side of his face yeserday and asked a vet who was around to look at it.. she said its not painful and doesnt look worrying.

Im pretty sure ive never seen it that big before and i know hes had extensive dental work done in the past and is missing an extra one or two teeth somewhere?

He has been checked over by dentist 6 months ago.

Any ideas? He doesnt seem in any pain?

tanflislibs

Visit site
filling up, like when it is full at resting, can be a sign of laminitis. dunno how but it is. my girl has got a big lump on her head where she hit it in the feild while recovering lameness (she was eating the brable over the fence and hit her head on the post, she's thick as a plank) as she's young the vet said it was her bone plates in her head and the impact had caused a bone reaction to occur making a hard lump that was painless and would go down ater some time. but if your horse is grey it could be a sort of meloma or the sort?
smile.gif

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Its not a growth and is only visable when he was eating last night.. but his other side was just doing the normal thing. Hes been in for the past 24 hours and ive never known him to have laminitus, hes not foot sore or has any digital pulses.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
Please keep your eye on it, my mare had a non painful swelling above her eye which some weeks later burst as it was an abcess, she appeared to have no heat or pain there, when it burst she had pus coming out of her nose and was in a very sorry state. Additionally she found it hard to eat anything like hay and could only eat very soft short food. We tried anti biotics but they had no effect and she declined, she was 21 and it seemed her body just couldn't fight infection anymore and I had to make the awful decision and have her PTS. The infection had gone into all her facial cavities. This is obviously worst case scenario but if your horse starts to stop eating or has any nasal discharge get you vet back out.