What could my husband ride?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
... that he won’t squish flat?

He’s 6’2 and weighs around 16.5 stone. He’s muscular and is relatively fit, although clearly very heavy. Is there anything that won’t sustain damage or is the answer a motorbike?

He rides nicely although hasn’t ridden consistently since he was in his early twenties. When he last rode properly he had a thoroughbred but he was much lighter, fitter and he’d only want to potter about now. He adores Mimosa but obviously can’t even consider sitting on her.

It’s looking more and more likely that we will need another horse sooner rather than later as our lovely loan mare is facing some tough decisions on a serious health issue.

Whatever we bought would need to primarily work for Mim and me but I’d love for him to be able to hop on if he feels like joining me.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Gentlemen’s hunter type, so something with draft in it or a bloody big warmblood? Are you looking to buy? Ooh, let’s do a big horse search!! (Then I can gazump you!?)

I really don’t want another bloody big warmblood ? I’m so loving the non-warmblood brain in my little part-bred Arab.

Draft I could just about manage but I’d struggle to get my head around anything with lots of blood in it or too warmblood-y. I think I need a giant Shetland or a six-legged Arab...

Where could we go with draft types? Don’t mind wide and heavy but do you think I could get away with something under 16.2hh?

bonny

Visit site
I really don’t want another bloody big warmblood ? I’m so loving the non-warmblood brain in my little part-bred Arab.

Draft I could just about manage but I’d struggle to get my head around anything with lots of blood in it or too warmblood-y. I think I need a giant Shetland or a six-legged Arab...

Where could we go with draft types? Don’t mind wide and heavy but do you think I could get away with something under 16.2hh?
You don’t need to go with a big horse, it’s width that counts, not height !

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Suffolk punch? Draughty but not a huge as shire/ Clydesdale some are smaller 16.1 or 2 ish but have the bone and width . And not to mention helping of a rare breed :)

I’d absolutely love a Suffolk. I remember being fascinated that they are called “chesnuts” and not “chestnuts” (if I’ve got that right!) - but where on earth would one find one?

And I’m assuming that is an expensive thing to buy!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Irish draft I would say.

Would he lose a little bit of weight?

Probably unlikely. When he gets it into his head to lose fat, it’s usually replaced with muscle as he tends to hit the gym. I think he’s probably 100kg at his lowest and 110kg at his heaviest. I wouldn’t want to rely on him losing anything.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sadly only a 3yo but a real chunky hunk. :)

https://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horseforsale-152255.html

horse152255-2.jpg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My unregistered ID / Irish War Cob would take that weight I'm sure. She's 16.2hh. And she's got a nice personality and brain. I'm not selling her ? (shes probably too lively a ride anyway) but a horse of her type would do it, even at a couple of inches shorter.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I’d absolutely love a Suffolk. I remember being fascinated that they are called “chesnuts” and not “chestnuts” (if I’ve got that right!) - but where on earth would one find one?

And I’m assuming that is an expensive thing to buy!

Breed society will help you I'm sure. There was a breeder on telly a few years ago, near Ross or Hereford?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
There is a Suffolk stud near me, they ride and drive theirs. They are not out of the way expensive (I considered one for my OH before I gave up competing my big horse and he stole him instead). They seem to be fairly easy keepers despite being amazingly substantial. Not especially tall but big everywhere else - massively broad with legs like tree trunks and giant hooves. They are super beautiful and I'm sure the stud here would show you around if you enquired. They sell older horses fairly often, as they don't fit with their gene pool for breeding anymore.

https://holbeachesuffolkpunches.com

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I am reminded of when I was a young, newly promoted duty manager at a 4* hotel in Australia when the entire French international rugby team wanted me to arrange a ride through the bush for them. Awks :oops:

Yes, I may well end up with another Spanish or Arab type and tell hubby to get used to off-road cycling.

Though that comptois colt is absolutely super so there must be more like that out there, with a few more miles on the clock.

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Echo Dabdab I don’t think they’re as expensive as you may think as I know people are just desperate to get people to buy them to help the breed! I can put you in touch with someone who may know of something suitable as Thorpeley Stud is 2 miles from me and Bruce is doing the stud work on my mare so see him regularly and he is breeding quite a few and knows of plenty of riding age! I also know that the breed society are paying the stud fee back to breeders as well as helping with other costs as to help the financial costs of breeding the Pure breds so this may also help the down the line cost!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

Very smart but too expensive for me, and probably too much horse, if you know what I mean?

I would probably look at spending up to £4k for a safe, sane happy hacker with enough experience to give a confident sane lead to my 4yo. Would be living out and enjoying farm life, being lightly ridden a couple of times a week.

Something that wanted a quieter life would do well with us, and not something that I’d feel was wasted by dawdling around the farm. Could be older too, but then I wouldn’t want to spend as much.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Echo Dabdab I don’t think they’re as expensive as you may think as I know people are just desperate to get people to buy them to help the breed! I can put you in touch with someone who may know of something suitable as Thorpeley Stud is 2 miles from me and Bruce is doing the stud work on my mare so see him regularly and he is breeding quite a few and knows of plenty of riding age! I also know that the breed society are paying the stud fee back to breeders as well as helping with other costs as to help the financial costs of breeding the Pure breds so this may also help the down the line cost!

Would you mind asking if he knows of a straightforward, experienced horse who would fit in nicely on the farm? We’d love another mare but a gelding would be fine if he turns out well with ladies. We’d also consider taking one on loan, or working something out about breeding as I know they are endangered.