What could this be?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Vet is obviously booked, but inbetween him coming there's plenty of time for me to get some thoughts together so..

New horse (cob type 5yo)
When purchased was fairly fit (to do half a days hunting say)
I have ridden her twice/three times a week overly fairly testing ground (hilly)

End of May start June she had an abscess - treated and farrier happy with the left over slit/exit wound.

Just had her front shoes off (which she'd had ON for only 3 months)

Since the same time as the abscess(end May) I havent been happy with how she's been moving. My very first thoughts were LGL so I brought her in from turn out, soaked her hay and brought her weight down. I'm still not happy with her movement. The best way to describe it is she isn't happy about going forward.

She went from a fairly in front of the leg forward thinking horse, to quite backward. Now I'm constantly having to mother her into trot even on good going (grass usually because of her being newly unshod)

I am almost as sure as I can be that she's not LAME, no pulse or heat I can feel, but she's not right either. I'm checking her worm count presently, she's been brought down to a happy weight (she's not fed either) she's kept alone, but in sight of other horses, so not really much possibility of picking much up.

Her feet have been done recently, she's had a new saddle (previously ridden in a wintec and was good going in it for me when she first came but I'm not keen so changed this) and had a new bridle (micklem with waterford because she leans a bit (was a standard bridle with single jointed fulmer)

ANy useful ideas of things to check or think of before my vet comes?

be positive

Visit site
It could be many things or a combination of several, her feet may be uncomfortable even if she is not obviously lame, she is only being ridden 2 or 3 times a week so her fitness level may have dropped at the same time as the conditions, hills, warmer weather, have become more testing. If she has changed shape the saddle, especially if new, could well need some alteration it could be a little too wide now she has lost weight, as she is being seriously restricted with her feed is she getting a supplement to balance her energy, vits, mineral requirements?
Is she happy in her mouth, the Waterford may help stop her leaning but it could be preventing her from wanting to go into the bridle I would try her in a snaffle, one easy change to make and see if she is more willing.

Tnavas

Visit site
I would suggest that as she is not going forward and newly unshod that she is feeling ALL her feet.

Try putting her shoes back on and seeing if their is a change. If you are determined to go barefoot you may need to get boots for her until her feet have toughened up

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thank you Tnavas. I'm not determined to go unshod by any means, but I found out the horse had only had them on for a matter of months, so I had hoped she'd have been able to transition back fairly easily. Her comfort is of paramount importance to me because having had one previously that "wasn't right" for so long I am now hypersensitive to anything with her!
However, this lack of forwardness started prior to the removal of shoes.

Thank you be positive, I hadn't thought about those things restricting her - I will change back into her old bit and also have the saddler back out to take a look at how she saddles looking.

As for vits and minerals, no I hadn't added anything but was planning to so will give myself a kick up the arse to do that.

Any other suggestions would be gladly accepted!

Elvis

Visit site
Hmmm, this is how my horse initially behaved prior to be being diagnosed with KS. However this certainly doesn't mean your boy has it too, but I'd look at pain in the back as a potential cause, I definitely think getting the saddler back out and a physio too maybe is a good plan of action.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thanks Elvis, I hadn't really thought of her back - instantly went to feet because I'm really sensitive to whats going on down there after losing my last mare to sidebones/navicular and a whole host of other things wrong with her!

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
My boy came to me a few months ago barefoot and it worked well for him where he was. However, although not miles away our hacking is very different and he had fronts put on fairly swiftly. He picked up and worked much more forward which then made me realise how uncomfortable he was on his backs!! So we have now had him shod all round and he is a happy forward going chap. I would start with shoes, which really does affect them if they have had them on, they soon get used to them, and then work your way upwards to the back, mouth etc. Feet first...

Now I have just seen that your horse went a bit odd before shoes taken off....was it possible she was feeling pain somewhere and they were slightly long? - if not, definately get back, saddle, teeth checked...

Last edited:

Tiffany

Visit site
Could be a number of things and it's always process of elimination as we all know. Could be the fact you've taken her front shoes off and she's footy. It could be soft tissue damage that isn't showing up in terms of heat or swelling. You have also changed her saddle which may feel different to her and may not be allowing her to be so free moving through her shoulders and or back.
Good luck with vet

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Just to update you, my saddler managed to come today and the saddle is too narrow, and he was pretty sure her lack of keeness to go forward would be down to this - hopefully this will resolve our issues and we'll be back on form soon.