Pictures What could this be..??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I went to do the evening run on the horses tonight after not seeing them since Monday (friend been doing them) and noticed this weird scabby/crusty stuff all around one side of Rex's muzzle....I have literally no idea what has caused it ??? He also has scraped the front of his face ???, I have no idea if its related. He's otherwise fine though cold and wet and feeling sorry for himself, I've chucked a 50g rug on him. He lives out with a field shelter and 3 other geldings.
I've left well alone and called vet who will be out tomorrow for a look.
Sorry for crap pics but any ideas..??!! 20201203_181850_resize_43.jpg20201203_181719_resize_93.jpg20201203_181443_resize_32.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Skin infection from dragging his face on wet grass i think SLH.

I'd try hibiscrub daily for a few days and then get a vet if it gets worse or won't go away.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Cheers, do you think it's worth me having the vet or see if I can clear it up first..??
Honestly, these horses will be the death of me....either physically or mentally...probably both..!!!!! ???

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have just had very similar. Sent a photo to the vet who agreed it's most likely scratching and rubbing from mites (she was scratching hind legs occasionally too). We went for Dectomax jabs. Face is clearing up so presumably mites was the right call. Second Dectomax next week and then I will be pig oil and sulphuring her feathers like nobody's business the rest of winter.
Interestingly I cut out all balancer/linseed a few months back. May be coincidence but I have put her back on them just in case. Vet reckons mites are often there at a low level but get out of hand when the environment changes.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Cheers, do you think it's worth me having the vet or see if I can clear it up first..??
Honestly, these horses will be the death of me....either physically or mentally...probably both..!!!!! ???

I don't think it's any kind of emergency and a callout is £, so I would test hibiscrub for 48 hours if he was mine.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've not long started them all on Spillers lean and lite balancer and speed mash...Rex has a scoop of soaked grass nuts with his too.
I'm looking at getting a vit e and amino supplement for all of them but esp Rex.

jnb

Visit site
Any foxes about? Could be fox mite if it's weepy (treat with Frontline I believe but check with vet)

I actually have a couple of bottles I bought in anticipation for itchy legs but (fingers crossed) have only used once & I'm not that far from you ....

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ok, I have just ordered another bottle of hibiscrub. Basically rainscald on his face then..?? How on Earth do I prevent that ..??

Be careful with hibiscrub one of mine is allergic and it was a nice £200 vet bill to find out, I would try the silver antibacterial sprays even my allergic horse is ok with those and they basically treat most minor things, failing that a bit of flamazine might help if you have some.

Trouper

Visit site
I think more likely mites of some sort especially as the November weather has been mild - until we hit December!! Agree a vet - but on an area call out day if poss.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Any foxes about? Could be fox mite if it's weepy (treat with Frontline I believe but check with vet)

I actually have a couple of bottles I bought in anticipation for itchy legs but (fingers crossed) have only used once & I'm not that far from you ....
Bless you. Vet thinks it's extremely unlikely to be mites of any kind and we are currently treating with a steroid cream. It honestly looks like rainscald but I've never seen it on a horses face before..?? Who knows, if it's not looking better after the weekend I will ask him to do a scrape for mites just in case.

jnb

Visit site
a friend had a cob that rubbed her face raw, she thought it was sweet itch.
someone at pony club said they'd seen fox mite do that, try frontline and bingo! gone almost overnight
they pick the mite up from grass the fox has been in

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I got some of that D******* earth (can never remember the name! Can look it up!)
It’s a very simple help for mites if that’s the problem. I dust it on with a very soft flick brush.

PurBee

Visit site
I got some of that D******* earth (can never remember the name! Can look it up!)
It’s a very simple help for mites if that’s the problem. I dust it on with a very soft flick brush.
Diatomaceous Earth - its good for mites yet be careful...i wouldnt use it around sensitive skin areas like muzzle, as DE is also very drying to the skin and can make it sore.

I once used it with bare hands to apply somewhere and its like talcum powder and soft feeling - but the next day my hands were all cracked and bleeding and looked 20yrs older - the DE is able to penetrate the upper layers of skin and dry it out so much. Thats how mites are killed by it, they just slowly get engulfed with dehydrating powder.

You could try aloe vera for the muzzle scab. Although its water based so if theyre out in long wet grass the application could get wiped off quickly. If youre able to keep them in for an hour and apply the aloe vera, the hour will give it time to soak in and help heal.
A calendula oil based cream will be more waterproof, and is great for skin conditions.