What do i do please?

vick

Visit site
Im sorry if im repeating myself i just would really like some reasurance. My mare and foal are out all the time, i dont really have access to a stable. The foal is 9 days old and mums very protective, my mare lashed out at me the other day with a bucking kick, (she has warned me before , but not actually done anything) and its really shook my confidence around them. She missed my head by inches. People have kindly given me advice, some say take it easy and give them some space, others say i should be handling the foal and have a halter on him by now. I can fuss the foal a little when mums having her feed. But other than that i get warned off and the foal won't come near. Im new to this and any advise is greatlt appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif
smile.gif

Rollin

Visit site
Our foalie is 8 weeks and we put a head-collar on her for the first time today but she has always been very friendly. Our colt now a yearling was much more wary of his first head-collar and quite difficult to lead to begin with now he is very nice.

I am a novice breeder and was told I should have put a headcollar on day one but honestly it has not made any difference to my two.

Both were stabled every day but even a stabled mum can be protective.

I would use feed time to gain confidence of both if you are able to touch the foal. Can you put a headcollar on the mare? Then you can hold her to protect yourself at feed time.

best of luck with your foal.

Clodagh

Visit site
I know nothing about mares and foals but I suggest you wear a hat when going near her, I assume shes not shod but a kick would still hurt.

the watcher

Visit site
Don't panic yet, keep handling mum and let the foal get used to you being around but without actively handling it more than you need to . The mare will mellow with time and for a little while the foal will just follow her anyway

steadyteddy

Visit site
I was in the same sort of situation as you last year- first foal and panicking that I was doing everything incorrectly! My mare lived out, was very foal proud and would not let me come within 10 feet of her or her foal. This lasted 4 weeks and I was so worried about not being able to handle the foal. Eventually she chilled out and I was able to groom her etc, totally ignoring the foal until curiosity got the better of her and she asked to be fussed with. My foal didn't have a headcollar on until she was 5 months old and it hasnt affected her at all.
Enjoy your foal!