What do I do with this pony? And what do you think he is?

chappers1990

Visit site
523695_10150780208833772_504713771_9612512_2142934778_n.jpg

He's the one on the left, any breed ideas?

He has a tatty mane and fluffy legs, I can't decide whether to keep his mane short or let it grow long along with his feathers :confused:

Surreydeb

Visit site
Looks exactly like my cob filly who is out of a traditional coloured gypsy cob stallion and a coloured cob ride and drive mare!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Haven't a clue! Guess a bit of Welsh c or d but no idea what else. I'd probably trim up, unless its either full native, showing as a part bred or a traditional cob that grows stunning feather & mane I prefer to tidy up. But really its personal choice.

Joanna710

Visit site
Looks VERY similar to my friend's Section D, albeit slightly finer. How high is he?

I personally would keep the feather and maybe maintain the mane a little shorter than it is in the photo, he does look to be a native-type so my guess is you could also get away with a longer mane if that's what you prefer.

Edit: Scratch that, if you were going to shorten the mane, full feather would look silly. Trim away!

Last edited:

L&M

Visit site
L/w cob too me and what a lovely stamp, not sure whether irish or welsh though...lucky you!

I would trim personally, as don't do hairies!!

ThePony

Visit site
Not a cob sort of person myself, but I really like him! Trimmed up and tidied would def be my choice. Breed wise, not a clue I'm afraid, sorry!
Do post a pic when he is all tidied, would love to see him in all his glory!

POLLDARK

Visit site
he looks Sec D to me, there are a lot of his stamp in the breed which seems split into 2 types, your lads type & the stockier draught type. he will be smart.

legaldancer

Visit site
he looks Sec D to me, there are a lot of his stamp in the breed which seems split into 2 types, your lads type & the stockier draught type. he will be smart.

I agree. We have a lighter weight one who is trimmed and pulled as the feathers don't suit her body type.

chappers1990

Visit site
Thank you for the lovely replies :) he is 14.2
I wanted to keep him all trimmed but I have had one or two people who like the hairy type and then I put it off. You lot have spurred me on to do it now! I shall post pictures when he is all tidy and smart.

I have thought he is something welsh x, perhaps some fell in him but he's quite fine, v v chunky legs though

He's only just gone 6 and is the cheekiest little man ever, definitely has small man syndrome :p

Some more pics:::
394868_10150446875043772_504713771_8615964_908858330_n.jpg

This is us on Christmas day, his legs are much more trimmed here and his mane hasn't been attacked by his friend, still longish though
264143_10150212693068772_504713771_7209843_4346685_n.jpg

And here's one with feathers though you can't really see them, and his mane is long. I just like the picture!

Last edited:

PandorasJar

Visit site
He's a stunner... I've always liked hairies staying that way, I don't like all the pruning. However yours is the first that I've ever thought a trim would look great on, so I'd say tidy him up for the first time ever!!!

Pan

chappers1990

Visit site
ooo I like him I see some welsh sec d in there i think. He would look very smart all trimmed up probably turn his hoof to most things what are your plans?

Going to compete in a few local shows this year, his trot is incredible so I think he'd do well in dressage. However even though he will most definitely turn his hoof to anything I lack confidence!

POLLDARK

Visit site
Super looking boy, he is the image of the Sec D I had, same type & body shape, though he was liver chestnut, also had stunning action but fiery with it. When he finally stopped growing, at 8 years old, he was 15.3hh but there is no height limit on Sec D. His dressage was great when he wasn't breathing fire. he was fully papered in case you wonder.

McNally

Visit site
I really like him! he's lovely and id be a bit snip happy with him ;-) maybe not feathers but a definate neatly pulled mane. I kinda like feathers on a lighter cob!

amandap

Visit site
Welsh would be my guess. :)

ps. I'm not a fan of trimmed horses myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissMistletoe

Visit site
He is nice!

I would definately say that he had Fell in him and a bit of Welsh too.

He has a lovely neck, so I would show it off and keep him neat and trimmed.

fruity

Visit site
He looks in some parts like my old jet black welsh d mare,vvv nice chap he is! As he is a welsh x i would trim him up,if he was a pure i'd leave natural,think those feathers would come off too if i had him.

winkles

Visit site
Ooh he's lovely! I agree he looks like he's been crossed with something though, I ride a Welsh D x God-knows-what who is clipped out and looks very manly after his pruning session ;)

Good luck with him!

Parker79

Visit site
He is lovely...I would just do a tidy, I think he should have a neat mane and tidied feather if that makes sense? He is too light for much feather IMO but to keep a little would suit him.

Whatever you decide he is gorgeous! breed wise he looks Welsh D to me, but very light so maybe crossed with something lighter.