What do I do?!

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I feel so stuck. I'm sure this should be a simple decision but I can't seem to make it.

I applied for a job yesterday at a kennels and cattery, I wasn't expecting to hear back for a while but the owner phoned me today asking if I could go up this afternoon. I did this, the place seems nice, seems like a job I'd enjoy doing and the hours would be good. They'd generally be half days so I could find a horse to ride in the spare time.

Problem is she ideally wants someone long term, she mentioned 2 years. Ideally I want to train as a vet nurse. I've had no luck looking for jobs at vets yet so think it's unlikely I'll get it this year but what if I get it next year? I don't want to let her down but then again I don't want to give up on doing what I want to do for the sake of a stepping stone job.

And then I posted yesterday about riding someone's horse for them. They wanted a financial contribution which I very honestly said I wasn't in a position to give them. She replied saying something that to me sounded a bit rude, but she said it wasn't about the money and just wanted someone to ride her horse. At the end she put 'never mind, hope you find something else'. She said it was more commitment than money she was looking for, which I would give. Would it be odd to reply and ask her if I could ride him? I have had two shares previously so could get references from both of them about my commitment...

I'm all over the place at the moment.. :(

White wine for those who reply.

X

xspiralx

I wouldn't feel bad about accepting the job - just because she wants someone for two years doesn't mean she's likely to get someone. People's circumstances can change at any time, and you don't know what's going to happen 6 months down the road. So if I was you I'd take the job!

As for the horse - what did she say that was rude? Either way, I don't think there's any harm in saying you are happy to commit to riding the horse but not contributing financially - what have you got to lose?>

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'm going to be blunt and say you should put yourself first. Nobody ever guarantees that they will be able to stay at a job forever and it is entirely possible that they could take on someone else who would only stay a few weeks. I would take the job and see how it goes. Maybe you could do the vet nurse training around the hours? If they like your work they may be able to be flexible rather than losing you. I wouldn't suggest lying about what you're planning to do but equally you don't know when it's going to happen either. Don't put yourself out of the job because of it potentially being longer term than you think you want. It may not go that way! As long as you're honest with them you should be ok, and they'll probably appreciate the honesty!

As far as the riding horse goes it sounds to me as though that might be an awkward situation and I think I'd look elsewhere. If it's a problem before you even start then it's possibly unlikely to go well, and you could get dropped in favour of someone willing to pay after you get attached. Whereabouts are you, I'd love someone committed to ride my filly and have no problems with them doing it for nothing.

Good luck hope you figure it out. xx

Captain Bridget

Visit site
It wasn't about the money, I was quite happy for someone to come and ride and give a little help with mucking out. I only asked for a contribution as it often shows commitment and this is more important than the money. Never mind, hope you find something else

This is what she said to me. It might not seem rude to other people, I'm probably being over sensitive, I'm not very happy at the moment..

I think I will take the job, at least if I'm offered it! The owner asked me to email her telling her what I thought so that'll be fun..!

Thanks for your input, it's made me feel a lot better. :)

Thanks bikerchickone, I'm in Hampshire so only just in the South East! It does seem a bit of an awkward way to start out. The horse was a 5yr old 15.2 cob so not exactly what I was looking for either so I shall continue looking.

Last edited:

muff747

Visit site
ahh decisions decisions;) I agree with xspiralx....

Firstly, I would accept the job at the kennels. Don't feel guilty about letting her down because you can't see into the future. When you get 10 months into the job, you will be in a better position to make the decision about what to do next. Two months will give her plenty of time for her (and perhaps you could help by asking around etc) to search for a replacement.
Contact the horse owner and ask if she still wants someone to loan her horse, she may have misunderstood you so then you can explain.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I agree with the others re the kennel / cattery job - no one knows what the futture holds , i would still persue your vet nurse job and if you could combine the two then surely the kennel owners would only be too happy to be able to tell their clients that one of the staff is a trainee vet nurse....as regards the horse share , i would look elsewhere if the lady has been rude to you already..not a good start, there are probably others out there who are struggling with time that would bite your hand off for a bit of help.

be positive

Visit site
If the job suits you for now take it, you do not have to commit to any length of time and if what you really want to do is vet nursing use this as a stop gap, it is a part time job, by the sound of the hours so they cannot expect someone to stay forever.
As for the sharing I do think that if people need their horses exercising because they have no time, if someone is capable and committed to do this on a regular basis they should think themselves lucky without expecting payment. So if you think it could work get back to her otherwise there will be other people that would appreciate some help exercising, sharing seems to be the done thing at the moment but if they didnt have a sharer they would be paying everything anyway.

madsetter

Visit site
Hi,
Take the job at the kennels, I worked for a large cattery and kennels for about three years and loved it! Ask if they would be prepared to let you do you NVQ in small animal care whilst you are there. Mean time apply for posts for vet nursing and if one comes available make the decision then.

As for the horse, as horse owners we do get quite protective about them, and having tried to part share one of mine I know how many time wasters, day dreamers and pure numptys (not saying you are any of the above)applied in the end I suppose I got fed up and ended up being a bit sharp. What I am trying to say is if you are really intrested message the lady again explain your situation and work out what you can afford to pay and what sort of stable work you could do in return for riding the horse. If she is not intrested then look else where there will be one out there for you.

Good Luck. xx