What do I need to know about livery yards?

Smogul

Visit site
Showing is marked on appearances though. How will you get to HOYS with the pony covered in bite and kick marks? It is inevitable on a livery yard with the unstable and ever changing nature of the herd. I expect you will not be wanting to turn out as much as you think.

You cannot be serious. Have never had my pony kicked or bitten in all the time I have owned one. A good yard does not have an ever changing population and a good YM makes sure groups are compatible.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You cannot be serious. Have never had my pony kicked or bitten in all the time I have owned one. A good yard does not have an ever changing population and a good YM makes sure groups are compatible.
My experienced is mixed but with the general gradual move away from group turnout anyway its become less of a problem. But I agree a good yard will manage introductions carefully and have a fairly stable group anyway.

Mrs B

Visit site
Some great questions to ask already listed above but personally if I could have my own yard again (years ago but 14 acres, 9 boxes, on a bridle path, little school etc) would I?

Nope. Nah. Nah-ah. Nor would I go on full or part livery. I've been on 4 yards in nearly 30 years, 3 of them DIY with assistance if needed and I've loved my time on all of them. No problem with bitching, turnout, things going missing, yard owners - nothing.

Of course there are the occasional niggles but that's life!

I don't have to worry about rates, mending broken fences, sorting out the plumbing when the pipes burst ... no worrying about getting the hay cut on time and stored or paying the electricity bill, resurfacing the school or getting the fields rolled. No waking at 2am on a stormy night, worrying about what might need mending in the morning ...

I have company to ride out with if I want it and if I want to go away or can't make it to the yard, I just ask for help. I can look after my own horse, ride, muck out and groom exactly as I would in my own place BUT at the end of the day, when my boy is sorted, I simply drive away and none of it is my responsibility.

And I love that!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Are they happy with you supplying tools etc or are you expected to use the yard ones? Not a huge issue but if there is limited storage it can be difficult if everyone has their own set to store.
I've been on a few yards and never had major issues. I think as long as you keep yourself tidy etc you'll be fine.
Where there are people its inevitable some will be bonkers, the more people the more likelihood of at least some of them being bonkers. I ignore them, do my thing and go home. I've always git along fine that way

The corrollary of this is that where there are more people, there is an increased likelihood that some of them will be nice. The yard has been a Godsend during this pandemic. It's a large, busy yard, and when I'm on it, I can see my horsey friends and chat and hack out and feel like I have a social life. I love OH, but if he'd been the only person I could speak to in real life during these long months of lockdown, I would have gone mad.

greenbean10

Visit site
The corrollary of this is that where there are more people, there is an increased likelihood that some of them will be nice. The yard has been a Godsend during this pandemic. It's a large, busy yard, and when I'm on it, I can see my horsey friends and chat and hack out and feel like I have a social life. I love OH, but if he'd been the only person I could speak to in real life during these long months of lockdown, I would have gone mad.

I feel the same! It's not only the horses that have kept me sane but also having people to talk to.

Loubidy

Visit site
It's honestly not that bad, I'd always had my own setup until I moved away three and a half years ago. Before you move have a massive clear out unless you have storage space at home you will be limited at livery. I have a wheelie bin and vacuum bags for rug storage and I built a massive tack locker last summer for all my tack, lotions, potions, bits and pieces. IKEA recycling boxes are great for stacking feed. Labels. Lots of labels. I have all my mucking out tools marked with coloured labels so they are easy to spot as mine.

Stick to the rules, its not your yard so its not up to you anymore. Don't moan about the yard to any of the other liveries, can put money on one of them being a stirrer and they will manipulate whatever you have said to play in their favor. Stay neutral - I get on with everyone on my yard, I don't partake in taking sides or he said/she said. If there is a rota for tidying or anything like that make sure you get your name on it otherwise its just another thing for people to cause trouble about.

Once you get over it, you'll be fine. In fact its actually great to know that my horse is always safe, if something happens to me the YO and all the other liveries know his care plan so I never need to worry. I always help out when I can which means people are more than happy to cover me when I go on holiday and I don't have to pay someone.

Make sure you get full clarification on price, what is included and what is charged extra. Find out if they are okay with people helping each other out or if you must pay for services. Speak to other liveries if you get the chance, they will always have an opinion on the rules. My yard is great in that if you are doing something the the YO will make it known, but then its dealt with, it doesn't go as a black mark against you, she might yell at you but then its done whereas have heard stories of endless lists of rules and changing rules and bickering and digs, much easier when its just dealt with and you know where you stand.

WelshD

Visit site
Well I hope it works out for you.

Thank you, I do hope it works out too but I will be keeping my private yard on for a while just in case. I don't want you to feel I am flippantly ignoring your advice because your posts have been read carefully and noted!

If it doesn't work out then I can go back home and will borrow a companion so that I am no longer having the full expenses of two.

Thank you all for your valuable advice and comments

Visit site
Label everything that is not nailed to the floor.

I know this sounds very pessimistic, but people have a habit of 'borrowing' things and not returning them. Carrots, whips, lunging equipment, feed you name it, they will 'borrow' it. Its easier to get it back if you have put your name on it.

I agree with previous posts - avoid moving onto a livery yard if you can. I live and work in two different places. At work, my horse is on livery - all the facilities you could ever want. At home, I have stables and some hacking so have to box for decent hacking and an arena/lessons. I would choose to keep mine at home all the time if I could. Livery yards - for all YO are nice - are not necessarily nice places. I've been on a lot - due to moving my job moving around the country fairly frequently - and all yards come with problems.

Firefly9410

Visit site
Very serious. I have found this to be the norm on the majority of livery yards. As you quite rightly insinuate most yards are fairly rubbish. This is life and something I believe that a person coming from their own land with a better set up needs to be aware of.