What do people think about this?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By Dr David Marlin - I don't follow him but it popped up on my FB feed for some reason

Visit site
A medium gallop at 33mph!?!? That would be a strong/full pelt gallop for the majority of normal horses. Heck I ride some at work that barely scrape 30mph doing a bit of work so would probably be 35/36mph if you flung the reins at them on a flat stretch of turf not up our hills!

It also depends on the direction of the wind, if there is one but realistically most work is done 2 horses upsides bit probably 2m apart at the riders heads. And then 4-5lengths back to the next set of horses.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think if you are so worried about catching the virus by riding in company that you need some pseudoscientific calculation of distances based on unachievable horse speeds and unmeasurable wind speed, then you shouldn't be riding in company at all.

Last edited:

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I think if you are that worried about catching the virus by riding in company that you need some pseudoscientific calculation of distances based on unachievable horse speeds and unmeasurable wind speed, then you shouldn't be riding in company at all.

?

Reactions: TPO

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There’s quite a lot of discussion going on about safe separation distances for various forms of exercise. It’s something else to consider atm. The paper referred to is a non peer reviewed paper put out very recently which has fuelled a lot of it. It‘s based on wind tunnel tests.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-running-or-cycling-actually-risks-for-spreading-covid-19/

LAST WEEK, A Belgian-Dutch research team self-published a report advising runners and cyclists that they should take extra care while passing others on the road, warning them that respiratory droplets that could potentially contain the novel coronavirus might spread further than the 6 feet buffer recommended by public health officials.

I freely admit that I currently hold my breath when a cyclist speeds past, just in case. I‘ve done that from the start of lockdown.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
i have been driving with my window down and if i see another car with its drivers window open coming towards me or cyclists i close mine pretty quick. better safe than sorry..

How can you see the driver's window of a car coming towards you, before they are actually passing you? Uness you are both going very slowly.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Dr. David Marlin yet again postulating and presenting barely researched mumbo jumbo with no true scientific research behind it. As with a lot of his 'stuff'...it does not stand up to close scrutiny and usually comes from a third party and he just tweaks it all a bit. I for one would not be basing my bio security on anything from that source.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes going slowly within the speed limit, also the road is twisty and sometimes it is easy as they have their arm resting on the door other times if i am not sure i close mine.. i just prefer fresh air to air conditioning and i like my dogs to have plenty of air as well....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh, yes, it’s the good doctor piggy backing on other people’s research again. There is, though, merit in the original Belgian/Dutch study, in which he was not involved. The authors freely admit that they rushed it out before running it past the usual scrutiny because of the pandemic, but it is of interest.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
While MrDrMarlin may have a rather "interesting" take on the speed horses go... I don't think the idea that cantering along in someone's slip stream or sharing and arena criss crossing each other's airspace might not be a wise choice can be dismissed out of hand?

I agree absolutely PapaverFollis - but I would class that as a very basic and rudimentary common sense to most thinking horse riders....I am disputing the ridiculous attempt to quote/plagiarise something entirely unproven or tested as the be all and end all of what we as sensible horse owners and riders should be adhering to in this current crisis.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
While MrDrMarlin may have a rather "interesting" take on the speed horses go... I don't think the idea that cantering along in someone's slip stream or sharing and arena criss crossing each other's airspace might not be a wise choice can be dismissed out of hand?

I still say if you are worried enough to care about safe distances in wind or at a particular speed, then you should just avoid going out in company. In fact don't ride. You are more likely to fall off and catch it in hospital than catch it off a non symptomatic hacking partner at any distance.