What do people think of older horses?

RubyR

Visit site
Just wanted some opinions so thought this was the best place!! I've just tried out a horse to buy who is in his mid teens. He was great to ride, nice and responsive and brilliant in traffic. My only reservation is his age. However, I only want a horse to hack and have fun on, maybe sponsored rides and get my confidence back and have monthly lessons. Would his age put people off or do you think he sounds suitable for what I want?

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I know a 15 year old RIDING SCHOOL pony, who's been at the school since he was born. He's easily the sweetest and most responsive horse I've ever ridden! Well. Excluding Monty, Roly Too and Troy... ^^'

Yep, oldies are wonderful!

RubyR

Visit site
Great. Thanks for the responses so far. I'm getting excited now because I really like him!! I'm riding him again tomorrow for a second time.

Enfys

Visit site
Older horses are often just the thing, they've been there and done it, OK, so they may have a few habits we would rather they didn't but generally I wouldn't baulk at buying one with a few years under their belt.

Says she who has a 15 year old coming today.

Chex

Visit site
Definately go for it. Mine is 24 and still being hacked, jumped etc. Obviously it depends on the horse, but mid teens is still young!

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! I very much doubt many older horses would pass a 5 stage vetting....

To OP - I think old horses are terrific!! I have a couple here and they are absolutely worth their weight in gold. They have soooooo much experience to pass on. Go for it!
smile.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
You would be surprised Tia, i have known 3 friends selling/buying horses over the age of 15 whose horses have all passed 5 stages. and thats over the last year.

Chex

Visit site
Mine pased his 5 stage when he was 16, well he was deemed fit for what I wanted to do with him. Obviously he would have failed if I'd told them I wanted to start doing BE or something! But for RC activities he passed.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thats what i meant in my original post chex, meaning that as long as he is healthy enough then there would be no hesitation on my pert. IMO older horses have a hell of a lot to give
smile.gif

conniegirl

Visit site
well ive got 2 24 yearolds and 2 16 year old, one of the 24yearolds is still doing well county showing and would easily pas a 5 stage, one of my 16 yearolds is still winning at county showing he would deffinately pass a 5 stage with flying colours.

My other 24 yearold would fail on one back hock that he has mild artheritis in but he would be ideal for hacking etc as he needs to be kept moving, everything else he would likely pass.

we will not even start on why the other 16 yearold would fail

older ponies rule!! you do less schooling and can have more fun, they are generaly more dependable then the younger horses. Remember 18 yearold horses have gone round badminton and 22 (or was it 21?) yearold horses have won the hickstead derby.

hairycob

Visit site
If you feel the horse is right go for it subject to vetting. Pickle was 15(ish) when I bought her, Bobby was 22 (though I had known him 3 years. I sometimes permit myself a smile when the friends who advised me against buying oldies have a lame horse yet again. Pickle has not been lame in 3 years, Bobby has had 2 injuries which could have happened at any age. (Having tempted fate now I am crossing everything while touching as much wood as possible). Bobby still jumps & has just started Pony Club at 24.

eahotson

Visit site
Have him well vetted but so long as he is sound forget everything else. My best horse was about 13 to 14 when I bought him. If they are well looked after they can lead useful lives for years,Older ones are often excellent schoolmasters.

kerrylou123

Visit site
All 3 of my horses are aged (the youngest being 14), and nothing about them refelcts their age, apart from my 38 yr old, but thats kind of obvious! And i wouldn't hesitate in having another! In actual fact, im thinking of buying one of my horses mum (22) as a hack for my mum!

filly190

Visit site
Go for it. I bought an ex eventer at the age of 15 with ring bone. She's now 21, still going strong and still able to compete. When I got her, I had lost a lot of confidence and it was wonderful to have a older horse that was well schooled, knows its job and is safe.

I did'nt bother with a vetting because I knew she would'nt pass. They gave me her on trial for a month and charged me £1000, tack and rugs. The rule was she was never to be sold on, they would want her back.

I have no regrets and feel she will carry on until her late twenties. This summer our shortest ride was 10 miles a day and she has taught my younger horse so very much.

When you find a horse that you feel safe on and can bond with, forget everything, age, colour etc, just go for it.

star

Visit site
i bought my boy at 16 after having him on loan for a year. we have had 5yrs of great fun - 81 BD points including the Winter Champs, numerous sponsored rides, showing, local show-jumping, one-day events, hunter trials, combined training. He has had 2 big lamenesses which have involved quite a bit of time off and a lot of insurance money, but i wouldn't swap him for the world.

princesskelly

Visit site
my mare is 21 and an idiot! still jumps anything in sight at 100 miles hour! took her on a ride with my friend for 3 hours that included a couple of gallops and she jogged for 3 hours! infact she jog's eveywhere! but would'nt change her.she's got more life than a 10 year old thats at my yard. age does'nt come in to it for me. i would take on a older horse.
smile.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
Go for it. The oldies are the best. I lost my old mare in Jan this year aged 29. Up until Dec last year still competiting and winning. Very very lively ride!!!! Sideways everywhere and we never ever walked more a jigjog. I still have her 40 year old buddy but he is somewhat smelly and old but potters on. Obviously he isn't in any work. Good luck and keep up all posted.

Skhosu

Visit site
Age doesn't matter to me necessarily, unless selling on (e.g we have bought 8-10yr olds generally as they are harder to sell on after 2 yrs if they're older..)
But I do dislike the age prejudice (ours is governed by the purse strings holder!) and would say go for it!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
You can learn so much off older horses and they have so much to offer people. It upsets me a bit when people over look them because of their age when they can be so rewarding.

If you like this horse, then go for it and I bet you won't regret it.

We bought a slightly older dressage school master for me last year and he's been fabulous. My riding has come on loads since we got him, he's given me lots of confidence and he doesnt fuss about stupid things like many of the youngsters on the yard. I wouldnt change him for anything.

dieseldog

Visit site
My old pony passed a 5 stage vetting at 19, she died this year aged 32, and the people carried on competing her right up to the end.

Ponies though do tend to go on a lot longer than horses.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Agree go for it if he passes vetting. We have a 27+yr old mare still going strong & Bailey who we have on loan is 20yrs old & teaching my daughter how to tackle 3ft+ courses. These days horses age much better a bit like some us humans!!

amandaco2

Visit site
if he is healthy and sound go for it!get him vetted to check.
i bought my first pony when she was 26 which is pretty old \(i had her on loan for 8 years before)but she was still jumping at 36!and shes obviously retired now and shes 48!and she looks really good.
mid teens horses are often a good buy as they know their job and are often cheaper to buy.horses can keep working into their twenties now.